Lavarnway Continues to Rake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Lavarnway Continues to Rake

With a double , two home runs, and three rbi's today, Lavarnway raised his batting average to .343 after 99 ab's at AAA.  He has an OBP of .414; SLG at .646; and OPS ar 1.061.  At the break, his combined totals for Portland and Pawtucket include 21 HR and 60 RBI.  Will definitely provide management with serious DH options in 2012 and a needed right handed power bat in September.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Lavarnway Continues to Rake

They need to find a way to add this guy to the 25 man roster next year. He can hit opposite field, even with HR power. Has a good approach. Is not to bad with off speed stuff. Relatively short stroke, keeping the bat in the zone well. He looks like he will be able to hit at the mlb level.

If he can catch at all he should be on the roster. He has Papi implications. I'd still offer Papi good money, as in 2-3 years at $30 mil but a penny more and I'd let him go for 2 picks. I'd seriously think about even offering him that much. The 2 picks are worth a lot and the increased roster flexibility is important also. He could be the back up catcher and part time DH. It's beginning to look like they may let Papi walk given the numbers he is putting up. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Can he play RF?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lavarnway Continues to Rake:
    With a double , two home runs, and three rbi's today, Lavarnway raised his batting average to .343 after 99 ab's at AAA.  He has an OBP of .414; SLG at .646; and OPS ar 1.061.  At the break, his combined totals for Portland and Pawtucket include 21 HR and 60 RBI.  Will definitely provide management with serious DH options in 2012 and a needed right handed power bat in September.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan

Lavarnway is nasty hitter, the Sox will be forced to bring him up or use him as trade bait sooner than later.  I really hope we keep him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Between Lavarnway and Salty coming around....the Catching situation sure does look a lot less bleak in Boston. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Continues to Rake:
    Can he play RF?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I know that's a joke comment LOL, but can you imagine him out there. He would be the absolute slowest RF in the majors, in one of the most expansive RF in the majors. No way he's ever an OF!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Lavarnway and Middlebrooks both future big league hitters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Boomerang, maybe Lavarnway could DH, Ortiz could play 1B, and Gonzalez could play RF? We can then move Youkilis over to shortstop when Will Middlebrooks comes up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Naw...Lavarnway would be the new laser show at 2nd with Pedroia moved to pitcher!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Actually Ortiz can pitch.  Hit 94 on the gun in the Dominican Republic and has a heck of a slider. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Pawtucket only had 5 hits today, and Lavarnway got 3 of them. 2 HRs and a double against apparently good pitching.

We haven't had this level of impact bat at Pawtucket for a while. He's a right handed hitting, middle of the order power bat: 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Lavarnway is technically as sound a hitter as you could hopo to see.Excellent bat speed,short stroke,plate discipline,Power(the ball just explodes off his bat)and uses the whole field.Of course it will take him time to adjust to pitching in the majors but unless something changes,like some hitting coach messing up his swing,it is hard to too see him not hitting well whatever level he is at.It is a valid question as to whether or not he can play any position even marginally on defensive,However,anyone who has seen him at the plate(as I have both in Portland and Pawtucket,and as I have said,I love my job when it brings me to areas where I can get watch minor league baseball,junior and AHL hockey and college football and basketball)and has even a modicum of baseball acumen has just got to feel he will be a special hitter and I can't wait to see him swinging the stick from the right-side in a Sox uniform at Fenway. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

It all comes down to his catching abilities.  If his catching duties are short lived then he will be traded eventually.  If not then this may spell the end of Salty after this season... which is too bad because I'm starting to really like him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 5/21/2007
    Last: 7/11/2011
        Lavarnway is technically as sound a hitter as you could hopo to see.Excellent bat speed,short stroke,plate discipline,Power(the ball just explodes off his bat)and uses the whole field.Of course it will take him time to adjust to pitching in the majors but unless something changes,like some hitting coach messing up his swing,it is hard to too see him not hitting well whatever level he is at.It is a valid question as to whether or not he can play any position even marginally on defensive,However,anyone who has seen him at the plate(as I have both in Portland and Pawtucket,and as I have said,I love my job when it brings me to areas where I can get watch minor league baseball,junior and AHL hockey and college football and basketball)and has even a modicum of baseball acumen has just got to feel he will be a special hitter and I can't wait to see him swinging the stick from the right-side in a Sox uniform at Fenway. 
    Kebbe,

You guys are making me drool!

And it's not even my normal time for it ....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It all comes down to his catching abilities.  If his catching duties are short lived then he will be traded eventually.  If not then this may spell the end of Salty after this season... which is too bad because I'm starting to really like him.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Hes a good catcher from what Ive seen an read. Federowicz is the better defender and game-caller, but much less with the stick. It would be foolish to trade Lavarnway IMO without getting something big back. At his age, and the power potential, you either DH him or platton him at C with Salty. Id hate to give away a nice RH power bat that can catch and play 1st. We would have 2 solid young catchers. either way, someone will have to go after this year so some of these kids can have a shot. If lavarnway keeps it up, and as much as i dont like it, Tek would be the odd man out IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

southpaw777,

i think that ortiz could be the odd man out as i do not see him accepting a two year contract at 8-10 m per year and i don't see the red sox offering him what he is getting now.

this looks like one of those "they didn't show me any respect" type of situations that so many of the current players seem to worry about.

plus, the yankees will give him at least what he is getting now for one year as they will think that playing 81 games in yankee stadium that ortiz will again be a 40-50 HR hitter.  and, they might be right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Lavarnway is a California kid who went to Yale! How often does that happen? 

It looks like he might be a Mike Napoli type to use a comparative  Hopefully he continues to work hard to improve his catching abilities.  Sox Prospects.com describes him as very slow and has trouble blocking balls in the dirt.  I don't see him catching Wakefield any time soon.  But apparently he's improved his catch-and-release skills, and will be ok throwing out base-stealers.  Look forward to seeing the kid at the MLB level, maybe this August or September.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

You guys are making me drool!

And it's not even my normal time for it ....

LOL yaz

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Lavarnway is a California kid who went to Yale! How often does that happen?  It looks like he might be a Mike Napoli type to use a comparative  Hopefully he continues to work hard to improve his catching abilities.  Sox Prospects.com describes him as very slow and has trouble blocking balls in the dirt.  I don't see him catching Wakefield any time soon.  But apparently he's improved his catch-and-release skills, and will be ok throwing out base-stealers.  Look forward to seeing the kid at the MLB level, maybe this August or September.
    Posted by joeyama99

I see Lavarnway being much more valuable as a C or DH than Napoli.  Ryan is capable of hitting L and RH pitching unlike Napoli.  Lavarnway also has a strong and pretty accuarate arm for throwing out runners.  If anything he needs more work behind the plate because he didn't play the position until late in his college career..

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

plus, the yankees will give him at least what he is getting now for one year as they will think that playing 81 games in yankee stadium that ortiz will again be a 40-50 HR hitter.  and, they might be right.
    Posted by therimrattler

The Sox will offer the same thing if they want to get draft picks for him (though the Sox certainly can't offer him the hitting benefits of Yankee Stadium).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Sox have another pretty good hitter in Portland named Chiang, who doesn't get the fanfare.
    Posted by bobbysu

There are a couple of reasons for that though.  While he has certainly been impressive this season (OPS over 1.000 in 257 AA AB's), calling him a defensive liability would be a compliment.  He was bad at 2B, so he was moved to the OF prior to the 2009 season where he is still terrible although his tools fit better out there.

Chiang has also never had any sort of season even remotely resembling the success he's enjoyed this year.  Yes players tend to get better a they develop, but I'm not ready to anoint this kid as anything special based off of a half season of stats that are extremely far out of line with the rest of his career stats.

One final reason you don't hear much about him on here is that he hits left handed and that's not what the Sox are looking for.  He's a trade chip at best, who I don't see being protected from the Rule 5 draft this offseason.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

One thing I look at when I look at prospects is how they progress through every level of the minor league system.   He seems to adjust to every level quickly and his power seems to be improving.  I'm not saying this means this trend will continue on the big stage but when he's at an age where he is supposed to be improving he is showing that he can evolve. 

Many prospects reach their ceilings and most do not, I think Lavarnway is showing that he may be one of those special kids that fulfills his expectations and then some.......he's still got one level to do it at though. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

One thing I look at when I look at prospects is how they progress through every level of the minor league system.   He seems to adjust to every level quickly and his power seems to be improving.  I'm not saying this means this trend will continue on the big stage but when he's at an age where he is supposed to be improving he is showing that he can evolve.  Many prospects reach their ceilings and most do not, I think Lavarnway is showing that he may be one of those special kids that fulfills his expectations and then some.......he's still got one level to do it at though. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I agree hugh, thats pretty much my way of judging talent.  Lavarnway seems to be very intelligent when it comes to adjusting at any level.  The talent for hitting is there and he makes looks pretty easy at times.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

southpaw777, i think that ortiz could be the odd man out as i do not see him accepting a two year contract at 8-10 m per year and i don't see the red sox offering him what he is getting now. this looks like one of those "they didn't show me any respect" type of situations that so many of the current players seem to worry about. plus, the yankees will give him at least what he is getting now for one year as they will think that playing 81 games in yankee stadium that ortiz will again be a 40-50 HR hitter.  and, they might be right.
    Posted by therimrattler

I hope your wrong about that..Id like to see papi is here for another 2 years..

Sections
Shortcuts