Lavarnway Continues to Rake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Lavarnway Continues to Rake

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Continues to Rake:
    [QUOTE]"If we let Papi go for 2 picks I have no problem with that. Next year even." That's a pretty strong statement, Boomerangs!
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

They let Victor go for 2 picks and Beltre go for 2 picks. Those draft picks are huge. If we keep Ortiz for another year will he be worth 2 picks still, at the end of that contract? Maybe not right. He said today that he wants at least a 2 year deal, with an option on a 3rd. His bat has been so good that we may well do that but he may not be cheap this time. He is having a tremendous year. Someone may well give him a 3 year deal in the Victor Martinez range. Maybe even more. Will we compete with that?

Theo really likes those picks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Excellent points, Boomerangs. I'm torn, but I do trust management to make the right call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent points, Boomerangs. I'm torn, but I do trust management to make the right call.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Giving Papi two more years with the possibility of a team option may be risky, expensive and possibly hold up the progress of Lavarnway.  We could probably give Ryan a back up catchers position for a year or two to see what he has.  I don't see us keeping this kid in the minors very long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Give Papi two years / $ 23 million.Just for all he's done for us.
    And I'd have to agree the kid wouldn't still be a catcher if Hazen & F.O. didn't feel there was at least a possibility a Yalie with a live bat could learn excellence or at least competence at catcher from Tuck & Varitek.

And I can easily envision Varitek taking a role as organizational instructor, scout, or even bench coach or manager in the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Why give Papi 2 years if he has no other offers? Better to tell Papi to go find the best deal he can and then top it if you wish. No need to bid against yourself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rkarp - MLB sluggers also crush mistakes ... they just see fewer at the MLB level and have to slog harder to get those opportunities.  Lavarnway looks like a pretty damn good hitter and has the track record for it at every level he has played.  I'm not saying he is definitely ready and we certainly need more AAA ABs to make a judgement, but I fail to see how you can state definitely that he would be overmatched right now.  If SSS stats at AAA are an accurate reading of ability, I think we have evidence that he would NOT be overmatched by MLB pitching.  Obviously, we need more evidence before reaching that conclusion.
    Currently Lavarnway has a major hole in his swing and is very suspect to the inside half of the plate. AAA pitchers are not yet at a level to take advantage of this while most ML pitchers are capable
    Also, curious about your position that he is blocked. If you see Ortiz being signed to a one-year deal, there is potentially space at DH in 2013 (depending upon the Youk situation). 
    My comment about being blocked was a reference to 2012 season
    Also, if Lavrnway can catch at a "competent" MLB level, he seems like a no-brainer as a backup at that position since Tek can't play forever.  Obviously, much depends upon his defensive ability and there seems to be significant disagreement on that front.
    I am not sure there is a disagreement. The Sox say he is making strides. The rest of the major leaugue talent evaluaters feel it will never happen
     Last thought, I think your predicted 1-year $6-9m is awfully low for Ortiz.  If he becomes available he is simply the best DH money can buy and a two year commitment is short enough for even the most cost constrained teams to manage.  IF he becomes available, I think he will have multiple suitors for 2 years at the top of your salary range.
    Other than Ortiz, what is the nex top salary for a dh this year? Can you identify an AL team that you feel will make Ortiz an offer?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

And I'd have to agree the kid wouldn't still be a catcher if Hazen & F.O. didn't feel there was at least a possibility a Yalie with a live bat could learn excellence or at least competence at catcher from Tuck & Varitek

Since June 20th the Pawsox have played 23 games and Lavarnway has caught 9 of them. I wonder if the Sox feel they are spinning their wheels on the defensive side and might be better off letting him DH the rest of the year focusing on offense only?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I love Papi and would hate to see him end up in pinstripes, but I'd be inclined to offer him arb, and if he walks, we take the 2 picks.  A 2 year deal would be okay if he is willing to take about $7 mil per.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Sox fan
    I will answer my own question:
    Dunn-$12 million. Huge bust. Major remorse by the WSox
    Vlad-$7.5. Huge bust. Major remorse by the O's
    So, what are the teams you are identifying that wil give Ortiz more than $6-9 million for 1 year?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]And I'd have to agree the kid wouldn't still be a catcher if Hazen & F.O. didn't feel there was at least a possibility a Yalie with a live bat could learn excellence or at least competence at catcher from Tuck & Varitek Since June 20th the Pawsox have played 23 games and Lavarnway has caught 9 of them. I wonder if the Sox feel they are spinning their wheels on the defensive side and might be better off letting him DH the rest of the year focusing on offense only?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway's played in 26 games with the Pawsox - 13 at C and 13 at DH.  Exposito deserves some playing time too  - I don't think the Sox have given up on the idea of Lavarnway at C.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway Continues to Rake : Correct me if I'm wrong we lost 2 picks with the Crawford signing. Thats why the A-Gonz trade was big, we could afford to let Beltre go, get those picks back, and sign Crawford.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

If you insist.  The Sox only lost their original 1st round pick to sign Crawford, all that any team can lose when signing a FA is their highest remaining original pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Papi will probably come back and hit 35 HR next year and we will regret it. I'm just saying it's possible. It wouldn't hurt us to keep Lavarnway in AAA ball another year to help him develop as a catcher. He may not have a lot more to learn though as a hitter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Tek has done so well I'm thinking they may bring him back again.

At some point Ortiz will not bring us back any picks. This is all risk vs reward assessment. If we move him early we are assured of a good return. If we wait too long we get nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Tek has done so well I'm thinking they may bring him back again. At some point Ortiz will not bring us back any picks. This is all risk vs reward assessment. If we move him early we are assured of a good return. If we wait too long we get nothing.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Letting Ortiz walk is always going to be an unpopular opinion until it's to late, when he won't render anything everyone will want to get rid of him.  I love Papi, but even as good as he's doing this year his time here has to be coming to end.  Maybe he does have some time left, if he keeps it up this year I wouldn't mind seeing him in town for another year. 

Sections
Shortcuts