Lavarnway- has he officially gone from prospect to suspect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Lavarnway- has he officially gone from prospect to suspect?

Discuss.  Is it time to move on from him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Lavarnway- has he officially gone from prospect to suspect?

I don't think quite yet.  I would give him another year to regain his stroke.  Maybe he'll start to improve with the pressure of having a few good catching prospects ready to pass him soon.  I do think he was always a bit over-rated by many here and would not be too pset to see him traded in a package with maybe Ells or Drew mid-season to get us a solid 1b, or outfield prospect or two.

I do think that Salty is a bit overlooked.  Yes he stuck out a bunch a crucial situations last year but he did have a decent average and hit a bunch of HR's.  He has improved his defense but his arm still needs work.  If he can keep it up then I really see no reason to move on from him.   This lineup needs a bit of power and the idea of having somebody in the that 7 or 8 spot (once Ortiz returns) in the lineup who has the potential to hit 25 HR's and drive people in is never a bad thing.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I think it's getting close but as king said I would give it one more year.  Many here thought then when they signed Ross it meant a trade was coming.

What it really meant was the Red Sox don't think Lava is a major league baseball player yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I don't think quite yet.  I would give him another year to regain his stroke.  Maybe he'll start to improve with the pressure of having a few good catching prospects ready to pass him soon.  I do think he was always a bit over-rated by many here and would not be too pset to see him traded in a package with maybe Ells or Drew mid-season to get us a solid 1b, or outfield prospect or two.

I do think that Salty is a bit overlooked.  Yes he stuck out a bunch a crucial situations last year but he did have a decent average and hit a bunch of HR's.  He has improved his defense but his arm still needs work.  If he can keep it up then I really see no reason to move on from him.   This lineup needs a bit of power and the idea of having somebody in the that 7 or 8 spot (once Ortiz returns) in the lineup who has the potential to hit 25 HR's and drive people in is never a bad thing.

Kingface was ok . What you think of  Bad Brains. Cool 

I've seen Bad Brains around 10 times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I think it's getting close but as king said I would give it one more year.  Many here thought then when they signed Ross it meant a trade was coming.

What it really meant was the Red Sox don't think Lava is a major league baseball player yet.

i agree. 1 more year to make a decision on Lava AND salty. i think worst case with Lava we move him to first base and see if his offensive numbers return to what they were pre-2012

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lavarnway took a step back last year at theplate because he focused more on his work behind the plate.  He spent more time behind the dish than ever last year, couple that with his weight loss and it's no wonder his power numbers came down.  He will never be a full time catcher, his path in the bigs will be a C/1B/DH type in the mold of Napoli.  If this is the year he puts it all together, he needs to start mashing the ball.....and even then his future as a MLB player is likely not in Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not yet......  As sooooon as Salty gets moved, then Lavarnway returns as our next "CARLTON FISK"  !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lavarnway will never be a starting catcher.  He can't catch, so the bar is set pretty high for his bat....can't move to much higher on the learning curve in your late 20's

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Not yet......  As sooooon as Salty gets moved, then Lavarnway returns as our next "CARLTON FISK"  !!!!

god i hope not. if you think Salty is a butcher you should see Lava behind the plate.... Salty has actually showed promise in the bigs offensively too. Lava has not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The OP misused the word "officially" in the thread title.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

How so?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

How so?

I know of no authority that makes the transition from "prospect to suspect" official.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Still a Lava believer and a Salty doubter, but agree: this year will say a lot on both these guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How so?

I know of no authority that makes the transition from "prospect to suspect" official.

I don't think that qualifies as a misuse.  It's an idiom.  Assuming idioms are okay to use, then to say something is 'official' is fine.  It's not etched in stone, but I don't really know anyone that etches in stone anymore.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

How so?

I don't think that qualifies as a misuse.  It's an idiom.  Assuming idioms are okay to use, then to say something is 'official' is fine.  It's not etched in stone, but I don't really know anyone that etches in stone anymore.

The thread's title would lose no meaning if the word "officially" were omitted.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

How so?

The thread's title would lose no meaning if the word "officially" were omitted.

your very technical Hill.. maybe that's why i enjoy your presence here. Plus your very objective when it comes to the sox. When everyone else is high on a certain player or prospect you show up and slap us back into reality :)

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts