LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobknowsBosox. Show BobknowsBosox's posts

Re: LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......

Hey Bill...It would have been nice to keep Lavarnway on the team especially his right handed power bat and from what I have seen he is a lot better defensively than he gets credit for.

I think right now though he needs to play pretty much every game in Pawtucket for the time being because he would maybe get 2 starts a week and maybe a start at DH on occasion if Papi is slowed by a injury of some kind.

If Lavarnway is playing well into May and June and the Sox are not getting much offensively from Salty, or Shoppach I would then bring up Lavarnway and let him play. I think he needs to play more than a couple of games a week to get into a groove where he would be the every day starting catcher. I think he will be a good one if he continues to develop the way he has been.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why is Shoppach on the team and not Lava?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I love Lavarnway but we don't need to rush him. Shoppach is a better defensive catcher at this point and Lavarnway needs to be the number one guy and not sit on the bench. He will get there quicker by using him at Pawtucket. If They have issues with catchers or DH they will bring him up I am sure. I say give them this year to prepare the team for a long term run beginning next year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Lavarnway made his case though, both offensively and behind the plate (where he showed serious competence).  Salty is playing for his spot for the next two months.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......:
    [QUOTE]why is Shoppach on the team and not Lava?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Um, because Lavarnway shouldn't be sitting on the bench.

He needs to play every day. That's not going to happen as the BU catcher for the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......:
    [QUOTE]  The last place on earth to be stationed !!!!  "let me be clear", this was a $$$$$$$$ move by the ownership !!!   What say you, all you smart ones????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

What did I tell you son ? Did you really think they were going to hand over the reigns to an unproven prospect ?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......:
    [QUOTE]Several reports were in the news that the purpose of keeping Lavarnway and Iglesias down in AAA is partly financial since it will delay the startup of their eligibility for free agency and arbitration.
    Posted by Firefligh2008[/QUOTE]
    Tthis is common for teams to try to get another inexpensive year out of strong prospects by delaying bringing them uo until June.

P.S. - Should I had said " not uncommon instead of common"? Never understood why so many prefer the double negative there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]I love Lavarnway but we don't need to rush him. Shoppach is a better defensive catcher at this point and Lavarnway needs to be the number one guy and not sit on the bench. He will get there quicker by using him at Pawtucket. If They have issues with catchers or DH they will bring him up I am sure. I say give them this year to prepare the team for a long term run beginning next year.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

If any injury happens to ortiz i think we move Youk to DH instead of putting Lava there. But I do think lava will get plenty of chances this season to show he belongs in the big club.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Lavarnway completely out performed Salty and Shoppach. Looks like he had no chance of making the team all along. It has to be about player control.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway completely out performed Salty and Shoppach. Looks like he had no chance of making the team all along. It has to be about player control.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I think it is a combo platter:  Given that it would give the club an extra year of control over a potential all-star stud, why not let him season a little more?  They can bring him up in June if Salty falters, and we will have hardly missed him.  Then he mashes all summer and club still has extra year of control.  seems like a win-win to me vis-a-vis balancing short and long term success.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Who cares about the extra yr of contract control? last yr we missed the playoffs by one game...the division is even stronger this yr - just choose your best 25 players...

all these games matter in april and may....how many times do we have to learn this lesson the hard way?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Lavarnway does need to play every day. If he mashes in AAA and they want to bring him up in June, then Shoppach is the guy who should get traded (ideally) and Lavarnway gets the bulk of the PT over Salty. It's an awkward situation though which could have been better planned for with a trade this off season IMO. Ideally we should have a solid LH hitting catcher to go with Lavarnway. I wonder how Salty will hit without regular AB?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......:
    [QUOTE]  The last place on earth to be stationed !!!!  "let me be clear", this was a $$$$$$$$ move by the ownership !!!   What say you, all you smart ones????

He gets to play more at AAA, which is to his benefit.  Why is it a bad thing if Mngmnt thinks it is the teams best long term financial interest to send him to AAA now and secure an extra year of control?  That is their job.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

This is exactly the correct question to ask. He should never have been signed, and rather than just release him as they should, they send Lava down. Pathetic! Oh, and for those suggesting Lava would only play 2x's per week, I'm saying he should be the starter with Salty backing HIM up! Shoppach is the odd man out here. And what of Geo's point that ALL games matter-not just those in Aug+Sept? We should field our best NOW!

Response to Re: LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT.......:
    [QUOTE]why is Shoppach on the team and not Lava?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Let it play out and see what happens. Ownership has their priorities and we fans have others. Time will tell who was correct.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY hits 429 for ST and gets a ticket to PAWTUCKETT....... : Your right again, oh smart one !!!   The Sox should have held Carlton Fisk back too !!!!   We got Theo's catcher in the middle of this log jam.......  Send Salty to the Cubs !!!

Yeah, Carlton Fisk is really relevant to this argument.

Is Theo your most recent about face?  You spent years bowing to Theo but I suppose now that you're a Romney supporter you have to practice pretending that you can just change your mind when it is convenient.

Sections
Shortcuts