Lavarnway is awful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Lavarnway is awful

Can't come close to getting a hit. What happened to this guy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Lavarnway is awful

Sometimes prospects just don't work out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jader's comment:

LOL!  Setting your sights pretty low these days.  You bashed Gomes and he got hot.  So you switched to Napoli and he got hot.  So now you're playing it safe and bashing out 3rd string catcher?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Needs to play more...... I like his swing !!!   (AKA NEXT CARLTON FISK)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ten games ain't much and certainly doesn't justify the animus in the OP.  Lavarnway to me looks like a decent backup catcher with a better arm than Salty.  His OPS of .616 ain't so hot, but it's a darn sight better than Bradley's .568 in 23 games, and most of us think Bradley will be a starter next year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Needs to play more...... I like his swing !!!   (AKA NEXT CARLTON FISK)

Bill he does need to play more however every time he swings he's off balance falling across the plate. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Really we have to start a discussion about how bad someone thinks the 3rd string catcher is. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jader's comment:

Lavarnway has succeeded at every level he has been given the chance to play at. He has not been given a fair chance to succeed in the ML. You cannot judge him rationally until he has been given that chance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

looking forward to the inevitable thread on how terrible the bat boy for the red sox is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It does say a lot though when they start Salty against every RHP and even some LHP's too. Basically Lavarnway catches the rookie pitchers, whether it was Workman or Webster.

Im guessing that the pitchers like him better and are more comfortable with him.

To me, Lavarnway looks slow and lumbering behind the plate. he doesnt block balls properly and I have no idea about how well he calls a game and works with the pitchers. He also doesnt frame pitches as good. His bat hasnt translated to MLB and he had a lot of chances last year. (153 ABs)

Personally, I agree with most scouts that say hes a BU catcher at the MLB level. Id seriously give him a 1b mit and tell him to start concentrating on hitting again. Being a catcher, your offense will suffer because of the workload and it being a defense 1st position. Since I dont think he will be a good catcher at the MLB level, Id try and get him to regain his best asset...His bat. Hes a BU catcher/1b/DH IMHO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Where did this come from?  Lavarnway hasn't played in a week.  He's 0 for 7 in his last two games, facing Moore and Colon.  Before that he was hitting .273. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Where did this come from?  Lavarnway hasn't played in a week.  He's 0 for 7 in his last two games, facing Moore and Colon.  Before that he was hitting .273. 

Yeah, it was kind of an out-of-the-blue thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

looking forward to the inevitable thread on how terrible the bat boy for the red sox is.

LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Sometimes prospects just don't work out.

Sometimes fans just bail too early.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It does say a lot though when they start Salty against every RHP and even some LHP's too. Basically Lavarnway catches the rookie pitchers, whether it was Workman or Webster.

Im guessing that the pitchers like him better and are more comfortable with him.

To me, Lavarnway looks slow and lumbering behind the plate. he doesnt block balls properly and I have no idea about how well he calls a game and works with the pitchers. He also doesnt frame pitches as good. His bat hasnt translated to MLB and he had a lot of chances last year. (153 ABs)

Personally, I agree with most scouts that say hes a BU catcher at the MLB level. Id seriously give him a 1b mit and tell him to start concentrating on hitting again. Being a catcher, your offense will suffer because of the workload and it being a defense 1st position. Since I dont think he will be a good catcher at the MLB level, Id try and get him to regain his best asset...His bat. Hes a BU catcher/1b/DH IMHO.

+1 

Lavs best attribute is his bat not his glove. Also we do need a first baseman once naps departs. I think it all depends on what the sox do with salty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Its pretty hard to get into any kind of rhythm when you play once a week, if that. Lavarnway succeeded at all minor league levels and my guess is that if he played more regularly he would succeed in the majors as well. He simply has never been given a fair shot. And I have not read that there is any consensus among baseball scouts about his ceiling.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

+1 

Lavs best attribute is his bat not his glove. Also we do need a first baseman once naps departs. I think it all depends on what the sox do with salty.

-1  Attacks on Lavarnway right now make absolutely no sense, especially coupled with the notion of moving to 1B, where the Sox already have three capable firstbaseman on the active roster--Napoli, Carp, and Nava.  I do not see the lumbering behind the plate southpaw sees, but I do see Lavarnway having more success throwing runners out.  Plus I kind of like his approach at the plate this year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

+1 

-1  Attacks on Lavarnway right now make absolutely no sense, especially coupled with the notion of moving to 1B, where the Sox already have three capable firstbaseman on the active roster--Napoli, Carp, and Nava.  I do not see the lumbering behind the plate southpaw sees, but I do see Lavarnway having more success throwing runners out.  Plus I kind of like his approach at the plate this year. 

A lot of young catchers need improvement in their defensive skills. Salty was the same way-in fact, he still is no gold glove catcher. There is simply no rational way you can say Lavarnway is a failure at the ML level until he has been given a shot to play regularly-one he deserves IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Here are Lavarnway's minor league stats:

A ball OPS: .907

AA ball OPS: .878

AAA ball OPS: .865

Like I said, when he has been given a fair shot at playing every day he has delivered. There is no reason to make the assumption that he is not a ML starting catcher for us or for some other team.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

+1 

My post was hardly an "attack" on Lavarnway. Unlike some here I give an honest non bias opinion based on what Ive seen and read about a player. Ive seen Lav in Portland and AAA a number of times and no, Im not impressed with him as a starter. Also Im not suggesting he go to 1b this year. That ridiculous. Ive never said hes terrible or a liability, but after seeing him a number of times live Ive noticed a few holes in his game defensively. cs% is way down on my list of importance for a catcher since it relies on so many other things. can he improve? Sure, but he will be 26 in another week or 2. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Im not a pro scout, but I do know quite a bit about baseball and try not to talk about things I know little or nothing about.

and for Pumpise...

He had over 150 ABs last year and did nothing WITH regular playing time. Not saying that is the end all be all, but it was a decent sample. Would I give him another chance? yeah, but Id still have him work at 1b to make him more valuable to the team. Also, heres the link to where Sox scouts project him as a BU catcher/DH at the MLB level.

http://soxprospects.com/players/lavarnway-ryan.htm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

+1 

My post was hardly an "attack" on Lavarnway. Unlike some here I give an honest non bias opinion based on what Ive seen and read about a player. Ive seen Lav in Portland and AAA a number of times and no, Im not impressed with him as a starter. Also Im not suggesting he go to 1b this year. That ridiculous. Ive never said hes terrible or a liability, but after seeing him a number of times live Ive noticed a few holes in his game defensively. cs% is way down on my list of importance for a catcher since it relies on so many other things. can he improve? Sure, but he will be 26 in another week or 2. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Im not a pro scout, but I do know quite a bit about baseball and try not to talk about things I know little or nothing about.

and for Pumpise...

He had over 150 ABs last year and did nothing WITH regular playing time. Not saying that is the end all be all, but it was a decent sample. Would I give him another chance? yeah, but Id still have him work at 1b to make him more valuable to the team. Also, heres the link to where Sox scouts project him as a BU catcher/DH at the MLB level.

http://soxprospects.com/players/lavarnway-ryan.htm

Last year was a disaster for many players. I do not consider 150 PAs to be a large enough sample size to decide he is not suited for the ML. He needs to have about 250 PAs or so. Thats what I said when Iggy started hitting too. I have no problem with him becoming more versatile and learning how to play 1B too, but I also think that, given his history of success in the minors, he deserves a shot as an everyday catcher somewhere. He may never be a gold glove catcher, but not many catchers are great defensively-including Salty. And if he plays every day he will improve.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id certainly consider giving him a chance just because of his MiL numbers. But I also realize that a lot of prospects that do well all throughout MiL, get to MLB and have little to no success. He has had 0 succes with the bat and has even been passed over for Salty vs. LHP. You would figure even with the sss of 150+ ABs playing FT at the end of the year last year he would have a little success.

The reason I also want Lavarnway moved off catcher, besides the fact I see him as a BU as well as a bunch of scouts, is his bat. Its his best asset and it will 100% be stifled due to catching at the MLB level. Lavarnway has been a FT catcher since the age of 19 starting in college and throughout the MiL. Salty really didnt become a FT catcher until he got to Boston. Lavarnway, compared to guys like Vasquez, Swihart and even Salty, just doesnt look very natural behind the plate to me. Just my own humble opinion here, but looking at how good he is at catcher and how good his bat can potentially be, Id rather have the bat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

150 PAs is not a significant sample size to make definitive judgements. The problem is that with a contender, it's hard to experiment with prospects, especially when the guy starting now, is a top 10 offensive catcher who has greatly improved his staff handling skills over the last couple seasons.

Salty is 9th in WAR (catchers with 300+ PAs).

Salty ranks 8th in catcher OPS (22 catchers with 250+ PAs)

He's even 10th in OBP at .331 (just .002 from being 8th).

There's just no way Lava will get a long look at catcher this year, unless Salty gets hurt or goes into a deep funk.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Id certainly consider giving him a chance just because of his MiL numbers. But I also realize that a lot of prospects that do well all throughout MiL, get to MLB and have little to no success. He has had 0 succes with the bat and has even been passed over for Salty vs. LHP. You would figure even with the sss of 150+ ABs playing FT at the end of the year last year he would have a little success.

The reason I also want Lavarnway moved off catcher, besides the fact I see him as a BU as well as a bunch of scouts, is his bat. Its his best asset and it will 100% be stifled due to catching at the MLB level. Lavarnway has been a FT catcher since the age of 19 starting in college and throughout the MiL. Salty really didnt become a FT catcher until he got to Boston. Lavarnway, compared to guys like Vasquez, Swihart and even Salty, just doesnt look very natural behind the plate to me. Just my own humble opinion here, but looking at how good he is at catcher and how good his bat can potentially be, Id rather have the bat.

I think Lava did not catch his first year or two at Yale. 

Even VTek did not become a great defensive catcher until his 30's.

It is not helping Lava's catcher development to be riding the bench. Ideally, he should be catching FT in AAA until he gets a full shot as a starter in the bigs. That is more likely with another team.

Sections
Shortcuts