Lavarnway is awful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Lavarnway is awful

Lavarnway appeared to have some of the best power in the system in 2009-11 (topping out at 34 homers between AA/AAA/MLB that last year)...not sure what's happened to it since then (10 HR in 2012 and 3 this season).

Not bashing him, btw, just an observation. He might still become a decent player, but he doesn't look remotely like what we thought he was 2 years ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

It does say a lot though when they start Salty against every RHP and even some LHP's too. Basically Lavarnway catches the rookie pitchers, whether it was Workman or Webster.

Im guessing that the pitchers like him better and are more comfortable with him.

To me, Lavarnway looks slow and lumbering behind the plate. he doesnt block balls properly and I have no idea about how well he calls a game and works with the pitchers. He also doesnt frame pitches as good. His bat hasnt translated to MLB and he had a lot of chances last year. (153 ABs)

Personally, I agree with most scouts that say hes a BU catcher at the MLB level. Id seriously give him a 1b mit and tell him to start concentrating on hitting again. Being a catcher, your offense will suffer because of the workload and it being a defense 1st position. Since I dont think he will be a good catcher at the MLB level, Id try and get him to regain his best asset...His bat. Hes a BU catcher/1b/DH IMHO.

+1 

Lavs best attribute is his bat not his glove. Also we do need a first baseman once naps departs. I think it all depends on what the sox do with salty.

-1  Attacks on Lavarnway right now make absolutely no sense, especially coupled with the notion of moving to 1B, where the Sox already have three capable firstbaseman on the active roster--Napoli, Carp, and Nava.  I do not see the lumbering behind the plate southpaw sees, but I do see Lavarnway having more success throwing runners out.  Plus I kind of like his approach at the plate this year. 

My post was hardly an "attack" on Lavarnway. Unlike some here I give an honest non bias opinion based on what Ive seen and read about a player. Ive seen Lav in Portland and AAA a number of times and no, Im not impressed with him as a starter. Also Im not suggesting he go to 1b this year. That ridiculous. Ive never said hes terrible or a liability, but after seeing him a number of times live Ive noticed a few holes in his game defensively. cs% is way down on my list of importance for a catcher since it relies on so many other things. can he improve? Sure, but he will be 26 in another week or 2. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Im not a pro scout, but I do know quite a bit about baseball and try not to talk about things I know little or nothing about.

and for Pumpise...

He had over 150 ABs last year and did nothing WITH regular playing time. Not saying that is the end all be all, but it was a decent sample. Would I give him another chance? yeah, but Id still have him work at 1b to make him more valuable to the team. Also, heres the link to where Sox scouts project him as a BU catcher/DH at the MLB level.

http://soxprospects.com/players/lavarnway-ryan.htm

Last year was a disaster for many players. I do not consider 150 PAs to be a large enough sample size to decide he is not suited for the ML. He needs to have about 250 PAs or so. Thats what I said when Iggy started hitting too. I have no problem with him becoming more versatile and learning how to play 1B too, but I also think that, given his history of success in the minors, he deserves a shot as an everyday catcher somewhere. He may never be a gold glove catcher, but not many catchers are great defensively-including Salty. And if he plays every day he will improve.

You must give Lester the same free pass you are giving Lavarnway and Iggy. You don't want to be a hypocrit right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

It does say a lot though when they start Salty against every RHP and even some LHP's too. Basically Lavarnway catches the rookie pitchers, whether it was Workman or Webster.

Im guessing that the pitchers like him better and are more comfortable with him.

To me, Lavarnway looks slow and lumbering behind the plate. he doesnt block balls properly and I have no idea about how well he calls a game and works with the pitchers. He also doesnt frame pitches as good. His bat hasnt translated to MLB and he had a lot of chances last year. (153 ABs)

Personally, I agree with most scouts that say hes a BU catcher at the MLB level. Id seriously give him a 1b mit and tell him to start concentrating on hitting again. Being a catcher, your offense will suffer because of the workload and it being a defense 1st position. Since I dont think he will be a good catcher at the MLB level, Id try and get him to regain his best asset...His bat. Hes a BU catcher/1b/DH IMHO.

+1 

Lavs best attribute is his bat not his glove. Also we do need a first baseman once naps departs. I think it all depends on what the sox do with salty.

-1  Attacks on Lavarnway right now make absolutely no sense, especially coupled with the notion of moving to 1B, where the Sox already have three capable firstbaseman on the active roster--Napoli, Carp, and Nava.  I do not see the lumbering behind the plate southpaw sees, but I do see Lavarnway having more success throwing runners out.  Plus I kind of like his approach at the plate this year. 

My post was hardly an "attack" on Lavarnway. Unlike some here I give an honest non bias opinion based on what Ive seen and read about a player. Ive seen Lav in Portland and AAA a number of times and no, Im not impressed with him as a starter. Also Im not suggesting he go to 1b this year. That ridiculous. Ive never said hes terrible or a liability, but after seeing him a number of times live Ive noticed a few holes in his game defensively. cs% is way down on my list of importance for a catcher since it relies on so many other things. can he improve? Sure, but he will be 26 in another week or 2. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Im not a pro scout, but I do know quite a bit about baseball and try not to talk about things I know little or nothing about.

and for Pumpise...

He had over 150 ABs last year and did nothing WITH regular playing time. Not saying that is the end all be all, but it was a decent sample. Would I give him another chance? yeah, but Id still have him work at 1b to make him more valuable to the team. Also, heres the link to where Sox scouts project him as a BU catcher/DH at the MLB level.

http://soxprospects.com/players/lavarnway-ryan.htm

Last year was a disaster for many players. I do not consider 150 PAs to be a large enough sample size to decide he is not suited for the ML. He needs to have about 250 PAs or so. Thats what I said when Iggy started hitting too. I have no problem with him becoming more versatile and learning how to play 1B too, but I also think that, given his history of success in the minors, he deserves a shot as an everyday catcher somewhere. He may never be a gold glove catcher, but not many catchers are great defensively-including Salty. And if he plays every day he will improve.

You must give Lester the same free pass you are giving Lavarnway and Iggy. You don't want to be a hypocrit right?

You are joking, right? You mean you cannot see the difference between a pitcher who has succeeded in the ML then failed for nearly two years (yes, he has done better recently, and I certainly hope that continues) also at the ML level and two players who were never given a shot in the ML until one of them got his this year? Apples and oranges.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to jader's comment:

Can't come close to getting a hit. What happened to this guy?

I have never understood what people saw in him, slow bat below average thrower

Sections
Shortcuts