LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........

How can few people here know that Larvanway is a better catcher than either Salty or Shoppach?  If he is really a good defense catcher, than he would easily be call up by mid June!!!  But the only reason he was called up was that he is one of the hottest hitter on the Pawsox team!!

Larvanway is just like Iggy where Iggy is a great defense player while Larvanway is a great offense player.  They need to be a two ways player before they can be ready to play at the major league level.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........:
    [QUOTE]So you want to turn this fat, lazy and entitled rotation over to a kid who has done nothing in The Show? No thanks.
    Posted by Immortal9[/QUOTE] HOW ??????    YALE,FISK,DESTINED !!!!!   THATS HOW !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Improved arm in 2011, and not touting a decent arm for a still young marginal catcher.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Fine, but I thought you were all about career norms and "average median", not one year wonders.

What's your take on Salty blocking bad pitches?

Even if you take away Wake's numbers, Salty was horrible.
    He stinks against LHPs.

I say trade him now, while some GM might be fooled by his 2011 offesnive numbers and CS rate. We'll improve at catcher with Lava over Salty and gain whatever we get for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In addition to catcher Ryan has played the OF in college. Moving CC to right with his speed might work out and putting Lav in left in time may be part of the plan.

If Lav goes to the PawSox, which I don't think will happen, I hope they play him a bit in LF as well as catcher.

I think before Ben is through, Salty will be part of a trade for a bigger chip. They have three catchers and I think Butler will be the third catcher if there is one, after Salty is moved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

They need to be a two ways player before they can be ready to play at the major league level

Not true. See Varitek and Wastefield, who were one way players.

And Salty has little trade value, is low cost, and should not be traded until summer situation sorts itself out. If Lavarnway is even close to equal to Salty by spring, Lavarnway should split time with Shoppach. But by waiting until early summer, Salty provides depth and dealing him over summer will not have one iota's trade value difference for a player who has low trade value to start with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]They need to be a two ways player before they can be ready to play at the major league level Not true. See Varitek and Wastefield, who were one way players. And Salty has little trade value, is low cost, and should not be traded until summer situation sorts itself out. If Lavarnway is even close to equal to Salty by spring, Lavarnway should split time with Shoppach. But by waiting until early summer, Salty provides depth and dealing him over summer will not have one iota's trade value difference for a player who has low trade value to start with.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

That was why Wakefield and Veritek were both a waste of player on the roster!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

True

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'd also like to see Lavarnway start, with Salty backing him up. Shoppach....are you kidding me? The guy's an official bust, in spite of people's apparant fascination with his 41% CS rate last season. He's not exactly Roy Campanella over his career....No clue what anyone was thinking there, unless there's someone out there with man love for Salty, and we're gonna move him. Something's definitely up...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Shoppach only starts vs LHPs (unless an emergency) then he can earn the contract money. Bobby V should realize this.

I do think it makes sense to deal Salty... hopefull for a decent relief pitcher at a low salary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I also think Ben is considering Salty as a trade chip.  We have FOUR catchers on 40-men.  Salty, Lava, Shoppach, Exposito.  Exposito obviously will remain in minors.  If a team offers good return for Salty, Ben won't hesitate to trade him.  I would assume Shoppach will be our starting catcher and Lava backs him up and DHing against lefties time to time.  Salty will be drawing lots of interest from small market teams and I expect pretty good return.  If Ben adds few other names floating around, a blockbuster might happen. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox received the rights to three years* of Jarrod Saltalamacchia in exchange for Chris McGuiness, Roman Mendez and Michael Thomas.

What would two years of Saltalamacchia be worth now after the switch-hitting catcher posted a career-high 2.5 WAR** (or 0.7 WAR***) in 2011?

Saltalamacchia is projected to earn $1.6 million next year in his second arbitration season.

* Cot's Baseball Contracts reports that Saltalamacchia has four years and 43 days of MLB service, leaving him two years shy of free agency. http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004/12/boston-red-sox.html However, the Cot's spreadsheet for the Red Sox suggests that Saltalamacchia won't become a free agent until after the 2014 season:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004/12/boston-red-sox.html

** Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

*** Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I'd start L. from day 1--dude can hit, is a quick study, looks ready enough to me.  Salty I wanted to like but the guy just doesn't have it, you know, it, L. does have it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER........... : I agree that Salty should be 2nd string (I'd prefer elsewhere), but I wouldn't tout his arm that much. This is the guy who couldn't even throw the ball back to the mound and has a 25% career CS rate.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

His throw back to the mound was psychological, and he practiced muscle memory techniques to get it under control, the issue never surfaced in 2011, that I can remember, and his throws to second in anger were fine. Professor, you missed this one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER........... :  His throw back to the mound was psychological, and he practiced muscle memory techniques to get it under control, the issue never surfaced in 2011, that I can remember, and his throws to second in anger were fine. Professor, you missed this one.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]YOUK,  I WOULD TRADE SALTY BACK TO THEO & THE CUBS !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Immortal9. Show Immortal9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER........... : HOW ??????    YALE,FISK,DESTINED !!!!!   THATS HOW !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

ACTIONS are the seed of fate DEEDS grow into destiny.

-Harry S. Truman

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I'd also like to see Lavarnway start, with Salty backing him up. Shoppach....are you kidding me? The guy's an official bust, in spite of people's apparant fascination with his 41% CS rate last season. He's not exactly Roy Campanella over his career....No clue what anyone was thinking there, unless there's someone out there with man love for Salty, and we're gonna move him. Something's definitely up...
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

What anyone was thinking was pretty obvious, I thought.

Lavarnway, despite the HOF comparisons, is not a major league catcher yet.  They want him in Pawtucket to get better.  He’ll be on a team where he can actually play until he does so at the level they feel is acceptable, and this decision is best made regardless of the other options.

Saltalamacchia, no defensive wizard on his own, is the starter in the majors.  Shoppach was a cheap backup brought in to play on a very limited basis, the exact thing they do NOT want to do with Lavarnway.  What Roy Campanella has to do with the backup role is beyond me, but way too often I see people suggesting benches filled with the team’s top prospects, like Iglesias, Kalish and Lavarnway.  What team benches the top prospects at the MLB level?  Has that EVER been done, outside of the occasional September game?

Contrary to nearly every fan’s opinion, it is smarter to bring up the younger player when he is ready, NOT when you think you need him.  Bringing up younger players out of need is NOT done with top prospects.  Did anyone think Kyle Weiland was going to have a better future than Anthony Ranaudo?  There is a reason Ranaudo was not called up for some OJT; he wasn’t ready.

The management consensus is very likely that Lavarnway is not ready just yet, end of story. While most of the fan base seems to think that a single 2-HR game against 2 Orioles’ pitchers who themselves had combined for less than 170 career IP was proof of readiness, need we remind you that a single September moment of stardom is not necessarily a harbinger of immediate future success?  Clay Buchholz, anyone?

I doubt any of the FO thinks of Saltalamacchia as anything more than a serviceable stopgap backstop holding down the fort until a time when (hopefully) Lavarnway can take over.  They’ve seen both of them play, too…

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

[QUOTE]In addition to catcher Ryan has played the OF in college. Moving CC to right with his speed might work out and putting Lav in left in time may be part of the plan. If Lav goes to the PawSox, which I don't think will happen, I hope they play him a bit in LF as well as catcher. I think before Ben is through, Salty will be part of a trade for a bigger chip. They have three catchers and I think Butler will be the third catcher if there is one, after Salty is moved.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I really love this idea i,ve thought of it myself i really would like to see lava tryed in the outfield i wish someone is looking at theses post because its worth a try

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I would like to see him start...he can't be any worse than what the Sox have had the past few years. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

His throw back to the mound was psychological, and he practiced muscle memory techniques to get it under control, the issue never surfaced in 2011, that I can remember, and his throws to second in anger were fine. Professor, you missed this one.

He posts a lot, and he posts a lot of cut and paste information. But getting it wrong is his identity. Add the departing Lowrie to that list of errors.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE] His throw back to the mound was psychological, and he practiced muscle memory techniques to get it under control, the issue never surfaced in 2011, that I can remember, and his throws to second in anger were fine. Professor, you missed this one . He posts a lot, and he posts a lot of cut and paste information. But getting it wrong is his identity. Add the departing Lowrie to that list of errors.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]  SOFTY... I THINK MOVING SALTY IS A REAL OPTION !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely keep and don't trade Lavarnway.  He looked pretty decent behind the plate in those final two games of 2011 with a lot on the line.  I too like the idea of playing him in the outfield, at least until I see him do it.  Heck, AGon played rightfield twice this year.  His best fit is probably catching, but, if he is truly a good hitter, catching reduces his at bats. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Definitely keep and don't trade Lavarnway.  He looked pretty decent behind the plate in those final two games of 2011 with a lot on the line.  I too like the idea of playing him in the outfield, at least until I see him do it.  Heck, AGon played rightfield twice this year.  His best fit is probably catching, but, if he is truly a good hitter, catching reduces his at bats. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]  MAXI.... I AGREE .... EVEN THOUGH HE REMINDS ME OF CARLTON FISK, IT IS HIS BAT THAT INTRIGUES ME...  HECK, MAYBE RIGHT FIELD IN SPRING TRAINING IS AN OPTION TOO !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........:
    In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER........... : I agree that Salty should be 2nd string (I'd prefer elsewhere), but I wouldn't tout his arm that much. This is the guy who couldn't even throw the ball back to the mound and has a 25% career CS rate.
    Posted by moonslav59

I never said he would revert back to having throwing issues. I made this point to highlight that there is a possibility of future throwing issues.

Salty is not a good catcher. These posters that only look at CS% and PB totals to judge what a catcher brings to the game are being short-sighted. Salty has an elevated value right now. We have Shoppach and Lava. I think Salty could bring us a good relief pitcher... an area we are in high need of, and we can't afford to sign anyone. This offers a possible solution. You missed my point, professor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Lava to start???? People are sheep !!!!!!! This is the same Lave that hit 239 last year right ???? Same Lava that went 0-5 with 9 runners LOB on the last day of the season the MOST important game we played.........Is this the same overweight clumsy Lava that you guys are babbling about??????? Salty has earned the right to be a starting catcher ....Lava has earned a trip to Pawtucket!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Lava to start???? People are sheep !!!!!!! This is the same Lave that hit 239 last year right ???? Same Lava that went 0-5 with 9 runners LOB on the last day of the season the MOST important game we played.........Is this the same overweight clumsy Lava that you guys are babbling about??????? Salty has earned the right to be a starting catcher ....Lava has earned a trip to Pawtucket!!!!!!!!
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]THATS OK RAINMAN........  IT'S ONE THING TO WATCH BASEBALL, ANOTHER THING TO HAVE "AN EYE" FOR THE GAME !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

I think Lava will be a great MLB hitter but I do not think he will be a great MLB Catcher but I would still take him over Salty everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.