LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........

Lava to start???? People are sheep !!!!!!! This is the same Lave that hit 239 last year right ????

Yes, in just 43 PAs, and the same guy who had a 14 point better OBP than Salty.

Same Lava that went 0-5 with 9 runners LOB on the last day of the season the MOST important game we played.........Is this the same overweight clumsy Lava that you guys are babbling about??????? Salty has earned the right to be a starting catcher ....Lava has earned a trip to Pawtucket!!!!!!!!

Salty is a horrible fielding catcher that has a strong arm. 12 of our top 16 pitchers did better with VTek catching them than Salty. We have a losing record in games salty catches. Yipee!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Moon - I think there's a decent chance Salty might get traded for pitching and I have no problem with that.  However, I think you might be a little short-sighted in completely writing him off.

1 - You were the one arguing in ST last year that catchers mature slowly and Salty was too young to be written off.  How does one year now equate to a nail in his coffin?

2 - Same idea as above except now apply that maturation process to Lava.  He's had precious little time at the AAA level considering when he converted to catcher ... we shouldn't be ready to hand him the reins to start the season (and I really doubt the FO is willing to).  If he's doing well 2-3 months into the season, though, that could change things.

3 -  There are issues comparing pitcher performances between Salty and Tek.  Tek is supposed to be the best game caller of his generation and he had significant experience with most of the staff.  It isn't really fair to compare him a relatively inexperienced catcher especially one just learning the staff.  Also, sample size is far too small for this type of analysis.

On the general topic, I think Salty's value will be higher in June than it is now.  He wore down as the season dragged on and I'd expect his April-June stats to be better than overall 2011 stats.  I also think in June/July there will be pitchers available cheaper than they are now.  All of that plus the value of starting Lava everyday at AAA leads me to believe a Salty trade shouldn't happen at this time unless a great deal comes along.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Varitek was far worse fielding, which makes salty bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Ryan is our future starting catcher and like Yogi Berra and Elston Howard and other great hitting catchers LOL, could be used some in leftfield.  Don't have a problem starting the season with Salty as the primary catcher though, unless Gary Tuck thinks Salty has made great strides defensively, I would have no problem with Salty being traded during 2012 Season. I think that is one of the reasons the Red Sox signed Kelly.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The man who will be saying "LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER..........." is Arnold H. Beyeler PawSox manager.

Salty OPS August 27, 2011 =  .783

Games caught:
    2007      47
    2008      54
    2009      83
    2010       7

He lost loads of weight as the season progressed and he took the beating catching Wake involves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon - I think there's a decent chance Salty might get traded for pitching and I have no problem with that.  However, I think you might be a little short-sighted in completely writing him off.

I'm not "completely writing him off". i said he has elevated value and we could get a good relief pitcher for him.

1 - You were the one arguing in ST last year that catchers mature slowly and Salty was too young to be written off.  How does one year now equate to a nail in his coffin?

He still has upside, and that contributes to his elevated value now (that and his HRs). The guys had played in 250 games before this year. I watched him play every game this year, and even though his back-up VTek played in more games than all but 3 back-ups in MLB, Salty burnt out by August...both hitting and fielding. I didn't like how he tried to block bad pitches (I don't count Wake). Do I think he can build stamina? Yes. Do I expect he will? Probably.
    OPS by month:
    June: .945
    July: .893
    Aug: .749
    Sep: .542

2 - Same idea as above except now apply that maturation process to Lava.  He's had precious little time at the AAA level considering when he converted to catcher ... we shouldn't be ready to hand him the reins to start the season (and I really doubt the FO is willing to).  If he's doing well 2-3 months into the season, though, that could change things.

I'd start Lava about 70-80 games at catcher and let him DH maybe 20 games.

3 -  There are issues comparing pitcher performances between Salty and Tek.  Tek is supposed to be the best game caller of his generation and he had significant experience with most of the staff.  It isn't really fair to compare him a relatively inexperienced catcher especially one just learning the staff.  Also, sample size is far too small for this type of analysis.

Yes, the experience matters, and the sample sizes are all small, but this history goes back to his old teams as well.

On the general topic, I think Salty's value will be higher in June than it is now.  He wore down as the season dragged on and I'd expect his April-June stats to be better than overall 2011 stats.  I also think in June/July there will be pitchers available cheaper than they are now.  All of that plus the value of starting Lava everyday at AAA leads me to believe a Salty trade shouldn't happen at this time unless a great deal comes along.

I have never said to trade Salty for less than his worth. I just happen to think some GM will be 'wow'd" by his HRs and RBIs and think he is worth more than what I think he is worth, but ultimately it is what ben thinks he is worth that matters. 

I do not think they will trade Salty this winter. I think their plan is to start Lava at catcher in AAA, and see what happens. An injury to Salty, Shopp, or Papi could change the whole plan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER...........:
    [QUOTE]Moon - I think there's a decent chance Salty might get traded for pitching and I have no problem with that.  However, I think you might be a little short-sighted in completely writing him off. I'm not "completely writing him off". i said he has elevated value and we could get a good relief pitcher for him. 1 - You were the one arguing in ST last year that catchers mature slowly and Salty was too young to be written off.  How does one year now equate to a nail in his coffin? He still has upside, and that contributes to his elevated value now (that and his HRs). The guys had played in 250 games before this year. I watched him play every game this year, and even though his back-up VTek played in more games than all but 3 back-ups in MLB, Salty burnt out by August...both hitting and fielding. I didn't like how he tried to block bad pitches (I don't count Wake). Do I think he can build stamina? Yes. Do I expect he will? Probably. OPS by month: June: .945 July: .893 Aug: .749 Sep: .542 2 - Same idea as above except now apply that maturation process to Lava.  He's had precious little time at the AAA level considering when he converted to catcher ... we shouldn't be ready to hand him the reins to start the season (and I really doubt the FO is willing to).  If he's doing well 2-3 months into the season, though, that could change things. I'd start Lava about 70-80 games at catcher and let him DH maybe 20 games. 3 -  There are issues comparing pitcher performances between Salty and Tek.  Tek is supposed to be the best game caller of his generation and he had significant experience with most of the staff.  It isn't really fair to compare him a relatively inexperienced catcher especially one just learning the staff.  Also, sample size is far too small for this type of analysis. Yes, the experience matters, and the sample sizes are all small, but this history goes back to his old teams as well. On the general topic, I think Salty's value will be higher in June than it is now.  He wore down as the season dragged on and I'd expect his April-June stats to be better than overall 2011 stats.  I also think in June/July there will be pitchers available cheaper than they are now.  All of that plus the value of starting Lava everyday at AAA leads me to believe a Salty trade shouldn't happen at this time unless a great deal comes along. I have never said to trade Salty for less than his worth. I just happen to think some GM will be 'wow'd" by his HRs and RBIs and think he is worth more than what I think he is worth, but ultimately it is what ben thinks he is worth that matters.  I do not think they will trade Salty this winter. I think their plan is to start Lava at catcher in AAA, and see what happens. An injury to Salty, Shopp, or Papi could change the whole plan.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]   MOON.... THAT CAN'T BE.... THE THREAD SAYS THAT "LAVARNWAY WILL BE MY STARTING CATCHER"  !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Of course your points are well taken Notin, but I think reasonable people can differ on whether Lavarnway is ready or not. His .290, 32 and 93 have obviously gotten a lot of attention, but I like his maturity and intellect as well. Not everyone has to do their AAA stint to have a successful career, though this is usually the wiser choice if possible. He's going to turn 25 in August and is certainly chronologically ready, especially for a catcher, but I am ok with letting him season a bit longer. If Salty is traded though, it'll be time IMO to take the plunge. It's unlikely he'd do any worse than Shoppach, and he just could be something special sooner than many might think. And if he doesn't work out as our catcher of the future, we can always run him for President one day. He is a Yale man after all.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LAVARNWAY IS MY STARTING CATCHER........... : What anyone was thinking was pretty obvious, I thought. Lavarnway, despite the HOF comparisons, is not a major league catcher yet.  They want him in Pawtucket to get better.  He’ll be on a team where he can actually play until he does so at the level they feel is acceptable, and this decision is best made regardless of the other options. Saltalamacchia, no defensive wizard on his own, is the starter in the majors.  Shoppach was a cheap backup brought in to play on a very limited basis, the exact thing they do NOT want to do with Lavarnway.  What Roy Campanella has to do with the backup role is beyond me, but way too often I see people suggesting benches filled with the team’s top prospects, like Iglesias, Kalish and Lavarnway.  What team benches the top prospects at the MLB level?  Has that EVER been done, outside of the occasional September game? Contrary to nearly every fan’s opinion, it is smarter to bring up the younger player when he is ready, NOT when you think you need him .  Bringing up younger players out of need is NOT done with top prospects.  Did anyone think Kyle Weiland was going to have a better future than Anthony Ranaudo?  There is a reason Ranaudo was not called up for some OJT; he wasn’t ready. The management consensus is very likely that Lavarnway is not ready just yet, end of story. While most of the fan base seems to think that a single 2-HR game against 2 Orioles’ pitchers who themselves had combined for less than 170 career IP was proof of readiness, need we remind you that a single September moment of stardom is not necessarily a harbinger of immediate future success?  Clay Buchholz, anyone? I doubt any of the FO thinks of Saltalamacchia as anything more than a serviceable stopgap backstop holding down the fort until a time when (hopefully) Lavarnway can take over.  They’ve seen both of them play, too…
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Salty is lower cost and needs to be retained as 3rd of 3 catchers until it sorts itself by early summer. Trading him for a relief pitcher bum dime a dozen is completely absurd. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Lavarnway is the better catching option on day 1 of 2012 BUT: 

1) I think they want him to get a little more catching preparation in AAA calling games

2) I think they know they have someone who is a potential star and they don't want to rush him

3) They preclude losing a year of control over him if they delay starting him in mlb for a while. Most teams do this with their potential star prospects.

4) They forestall "super 2" status which is entirely possible for a guy of his talent

5) Like most sluggers he may start out slow. Ideally he gets hot after the first month and then they bring him up, when he's confident and has found his stroke, helping to insure that he starts off well in mlb..

They are going to be careful with him. He's an extremely valuable commodity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't think you can be a star if rushing a bit derails a career. Get him up here and now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think you can be a star if rushing a bit derails a career. Get him up here and now.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]  THAT A BOY BURRITO !!!!