Lavarnway Is Not The Answer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Lavarnway Is Not The Answer

For all those complaining about Salty, I don't think Lavarnway is the answer at catcher. He has a slow bat, swings at a lot of bad pitches and is not a good defensive catcher. Looks like a career backup at best. he needs more time in AAA but since Sox have AAA lineup one, he fits right in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer

I tend to agree.  Lava is not the future.  I like the kid, but.....  the points you make are sound.  Slow bat.  Average fielder.  w some pop.  Sounds like Salty???  I do think Lava eventually hits for a better average, but most are overestimating Lava's D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Small sample size, but if 2013 is a rebuilding year, I guess we can plug him in FT and see if he can learn fast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Right now, his swing is too long. It's almost a sweep swing.
    I don't remember that from Pawtucket or even when he was up last season, when he made some good contact.
    Doesn't look too good, but a small sample size.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Bill says he's the next Fisk, and he has been right about everything this year, therefore..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer:
    [QUOTE]Right now, his swing is too long. It's almost a sweep swing. I don't remember that from Pawtucket or even when he was up last season, when he made some good contact. Doesn't look too good, but a small sample size.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

His swing has not changed.  It's always been long, slow, & sweeping.  He is strong though. 

Not the future!  I could be wrong, but I just don't see it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Correct! However, Salty is even more suspect. An occasional HR does not make up for poor D. Tek was no big time hitter, but he sure spoiled us by being a unique profesional catcher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I've seen Lavarnway play, probably more than most here.
    If he had this slow a swing, he'd never have put up the AAA numbers he has, or projected with the kind of potential most reports say he has.
    He'd have been dumped like Exposito.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Whats wrong with his D? And he will hit, he has always been a good hitter and will be once he gets comfortable. Another wish washy it has not happened in 30 games the guy is a bum!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Bill says he's the next Fisk, and he has been right about everything this year, therefore..
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]Or shucks, Baldy........  Heck the kid just got here..... If he had had the same "time in" as Salty he would be head & shoulders above......  Lets see what September brings   !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Good thing we have so many batting experts on here! The guy has hit at every level and you say his bat is to slow. WOW

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE] Correct! However, Salty is even more suspect. An occasional HR does not make up for poor D. Tek was no big time hitter, but he sure spoiled us by being a unique profesional catcher.
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]
    These days, 21 dingers are a nice number, especially for a catcher who's also good behind the plate. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Give him time, like by the end of September. 

He's a keeper

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I tend to agree.  Lava is not the future.  I like the kid, but.....  the points you make are sound.  Slow bat.  Average fielder.  w some pop.  Sounds like Salty???  I do think Lava eventually hits for a better average, but most are overestimating Lava's D.
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Give the kid the same time to develop as Salty has and I think you will be surprised.  We can almost certainly say Salty will never get better offensively but at least give Lav a chance.

Look at all the people who thought I was crazy for wanting Ciriaco in the lineup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I guess now if a rookie doesn't come up and put up Trout #'s he's terrible. Maybe he'll be the answer at catcher maybe not but let's see how he does over a season's time frame. When Pedroia came up he was awful for 3 months then ended up getting ROY award. People need to be a little patient.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I like him as well, I would like him better if he had the same opportunity to learn how to call a game as Salty did with Tek.  I wish the RS would ask Tek to work with our catchers, hell I wish he was bench coach and called the game from there.  The current RS team got young so stay young.  Give the kid a chance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Lavarnway Is Not The Answer:
    [QUOTE]For all those complaining about Salty, I don't think Lavarnway is the answer at catcher. He has a slow bat, swings at a lot of bad pitches and is not a good defensive catcher. Looks like a career backup at best. he needs more time in AAA but since Sox have AAA lineup one, he fits right in.
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

I'll be happy to hear the hurrahs once he shows you're wrong. 

Lavarnway has learned and developed at each level.  All along, people have counted him out.  All along, he's gotten bettah.

He's bright, intelligent, a great student as well as more than capable athlete.

I have a sense that some of our posters would have serious doubts that their child would ever learn to walk, based on early observations ....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Lavarnway was pitched tough in his last AB. Those were evil curves. I would not hold that K against him. Pedey and Ross and Aviles K on those pitches too. Notice that he hit the ball the other way for a single. 
    He made a great throw to nail a runner at second, then took it in stride. No showing off. Everything about him indicates that he has character.
    At the moment, his movements are not as fluid as Salty's, nor are his hands as quick and sure. ( Salty is terrific on balls in the dirt. ) But Lavarnway has not been catching as long as has Salty, and did not benefit from Tek's instruction. What is more, Salty did not come into his own until early this season, and then made remarkable improvement. Lavarnway is still trying to get that big body to do what he wants it to do. Catchers take time to develop physically and to learn to call a game. 
    The danger is that Lavarnway will put too much pressure on himself at the plate. He knows what the score is at his position. He knows that the Sox are sizing up the situation for 2013. He knows that further personnel moves are coming. He certainly must have an inkling that if he's on the roster next season, he might catch or play first or DH, or all three. His status is very unsettled, and no honest person in the organization can assure him of anything.
    Not with this team clearly in flux.
    Fans should be patient with this young man. He's done well at  every level so far. He's probably a good learner. He could turn out to be something special. He seems to have the makings. True, there is no certainty that even the best prospects will make it big, or make it at all. The record is clear on that.  But it's was too early to start saying that Lavarnway "isn't the answer" or "isn't the future," and the like. 
    The future, as always, will take care of itself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This board kills me.  It was the same with Kalish. If the guy isn't hitting 370 after his first 70 at bats it's time to give up on him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's too early to make an assessment ... the Red Sox can afford to let Ryan Lavarnway play almost every day for the remainder of the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

For thise with short memories,
    Trout came up last year and hit .220 and was sent down.
    How'd that work out?
    Oh, and Kalish stinks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We can almost certainly say Salty will never get better offensively...

Salty is just 27 and has only played FT for 2 seasons.

His OPS up to 2010: .692

His improved OPS since 2010: .743

I wouldn't be surprised if Salty has a few seasons over .775. There is room to improve, especially when he can focus more on hitting instead of fielding like he did this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]For thise with short memories, Trout came up last year and hit .220 and was sent down. How'd that work out? Oh, and Kalish stinks.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  Everyone stinks that isn't doing well at the moment around here.  And everyone who is doing well for a short time is incredible.  Earlier is was Nava. Now it is Ciriaco.

I spent all year explaining to people that Bailey was good.  They honestly didn't know.

Funny stuff.  Keep em coming.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

How many times have you been to McCoy Stadium to watch Kalish and others?
    What is it that you like about him?
    Is it his lack of plate discipline?
    Is it his overall lack of HR power?
    Is it his poor baserunning?
    Is it his poor fielding?
    His stints this year weren't his first time up to Boston.
    He's a 4th OF. Not even a David Murphy.
    Yeah, keep laughing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Bill says he's the next Fisk, and he has been right about everything this year, therefore..
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Bald, 

LOL, I didn't realize the internet existed for Abraham Lincolnn unless you know something the rest of us do not. 

Hetch

Sections
Shortcuts