Lavarnway Is Not The Answer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer

In Response to Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer:
    How many times have you been to McCoy Stadium to watch Kalish and others? What is it that you like about him? Is it his lack of plate discipline? Is it his overall lack of HR power? Is it his poor baserunning? Is it his poor fielding? His stints this year weren't his first time up to Boston. He's a 4th OF. Not even a David Murphy. Yeah, keep laughing.
    Posted by rightymclefty

Well see I live in Portland.  So I have seen Kalish and others numerous times.  

Oh really he played with Boston before this year?  I had no idea!

Why are you acting so patronizing?  Find me a scouting report where anyone says Kalish is a poor baserunner and a poor fielder.  Or that he has no power.

I can find plenty that say otherwise.  But yeah I just watch games in Portland, not big old Pawtucket.  What do I know?  If you ever get up this way I'll buy you a beer and we can watch a game.  Even though you come off like an azz I am sure you can't be all bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Thanks Snake! My dogs and my granddaughters love me. LOL!
    I  like Portland a lot. Nice place. The Governors is a trip. Do they still have a Valle's Steak House?
    Anyway, it's not report on players, but what you see what your eyes.
    We will see how Kalish develops, and we will see who can say, "You were wrong!"
    Now, tell me about Bogaerts and Bradley. I'll have to wait until next season to see them here in AAA. Can't wait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It's too early to make an assessment ... the Red Sox can afford to let Ryan Lavarnway play almost every day for the remainder of the season.
    Posted by hill55

Gotta go along with that...what's to lose by playing him all the time? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Thanks Snake! My dogs and my granddaughters love me. LOL! I  like Portland a lot. Nice place. The Governors is a trip. Do they still have a Valle's Steak House? Anyway, it's not report on players, but what you see what your eyes. We will see how Kalish develops, and we will see who can say, "You were wrong!" Now, tell me about Bogaerts and Bradley. I'll have to wait until next season to see them here in AAA. Can't wait.
    Posted by rightymclefty

ahh you come at people the same way I do.  I like a good argument and anyone that loves dogs is cool with me.

Bogaerts looks great, Bradley is still a little raw, I have seen him misread quite a few balls, but he has talent for sure.

Valle's closed...cool old place though.

We can have a gentlemans waiger on Kalish.  I still think he will be a player but I agree he totally stunk this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Sorry to hear about Valle's. It was the last one in New England.
    So, it sounds like Bogaerts might be closer to a finished product than Bradley.
    It's all good!
    Who can tell with players? Great prospects go bust, and those not so well thought of turn out fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to "Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer":
    How many times have you been to McCoy Stadium to watch Kalish and others? What is it that you like about him? Is it his lack of plate discipline? Is it his overall lack of HR power? Is it his poor baserunning? Is it his poor fielding? His stints this year weren't his first time up to Boston. He's a 4th OF. Not even a David Murphy. Yeah, keep laughing. Posted by rightymclefty
    Absolutely right. A fourth OF at best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

This board kills me.  It was the same with Kalish. If the guy isn't hitting 370 after his first 70 at bats it's time to give up on him.
    Posted by snakeoil123

It isn't the board, it is the same 5-8 posters who act this way toward everything. The Thread Bearer only starts negative threads.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to "Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer":
    In Response to Re: Lavarnway Is Not The Answer : It isn't the board, it is the same 5-8 posters who act this way toward everything. The Thread Bearer only starts negative threads. Posted by EnchiladaT
    BS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe if Lavarnway signs a longterm contract, he can be wished into the cornfield.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not sure i understand the rush to send salty packing....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Posted by georom4
    Exactly. It looks to me like we might have two pretty good catchers, one RH and one LH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Oh, that's right, Salty went to the Pesky funeral, so now he's ok to keep. Prior to that, he was lambasted by this board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

not I DC, i always liked salty...liked his perserverance to overcome his anxiety/yips, love his home run stroke, and could care less if he strikes out 300 times a yr - he is  CATCHER...what do you expect???  The Pesky funeral only confirmed that my instinct for judging character is extraordinary!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Oh, that's right, Salty went to the Pesky funeral, so now he's ok to keep. Prior to that, he was lambasted by this board.
    Posted by dannycater
    Not by me. Did you and softlaw study straw man arguments together?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Lava da man!  You'll see

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Posted by georom4

For what it's worth, Jarrod Saltalamacchia becomes a free agent after next season. Saltalamacchia has one remaining arbitration season working off his 2012 salary of $2.5 million.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

hill55 I would love to see Brian McCann in Fenway.... the Braves have an option in him though for 2013.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bill says he's the next Fisk, and he has been right about everything this year, therefore..
    Posted by bald-predictions

Well, you have to bear in mind that Fisk is like 64 years old...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Lavarnway was pitched tough in his last AB. Those were evil curves. I would not hold that K against him. Pedey and Ross and Aviles K on those pitches too. Notice that he hit the ball the other way for a single.  He made a great throw to nail a runner at second, then took it in stride. No showing off. Everything about him indicates that he has character. At the moment, his movements are not as fluid as Salty's, nor are his hands as quick and sure. ( Salty is terrific on balls in the dirt. ) But Lavarnway has not been catching as long as has Salty, and did not benefit from Tek's instruction. What is more, Salty did not come into his own until early this season, and then made remarkable improvement. Lavarnway is still trying to get that big body to do what he wants it to do. Catchers take time to develop physically and to learn to call a game.  The danger is that Lavarnway will put too much pressure on himself at the plate. He knows what the score is at his position. He knows that the Sox are sizing up the situation for 2013. He knows that further personnel moves are coming. He certainly must have an inkling that if he's on the roster next season, he might catch or play first or DH, or all three. His status is very unsettled, and no honest person in the organization can assure him of anything. Not with this team clearly in flux. Fans should be patient with this young man. He's done well at  every level so far. He's probably a good learner. He could turn out to be something special. He seems to have the makings. True, there is no certainty that even the best prospects will make it big, or make it at all. The record is clear on that.  But it's was too early to start saying that Lavarnway "isn't the answer" or "isn't the future," and the like.  The future, as always, will take care of itself.
    Posted by expitch

i like and agree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The kid just turned 25!!!

Seriously, unless a guy is a f r e a k i n all star by his mid 20s, people want to get rid of him. Sorry, not everyone is Pedroia who wins ROY then MVP at 23 and 24. Oh, and people didn't even want to give him the month it took to get going, besides Francona, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Oh, and to the Salty haters...I'm STILL waiting for a realistic replacement if he's so bad. There are only 6-8 catchers throughout baseball who are definitely better options according to what I researched. I've already provided the list once and nobody could come up with an answer. So, unless you're willing to offer up some REALISTIC options, stop complaining.

Sections
Shortcuts