Lavarnway options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lavarnway options

Joe Mauer of the Twins is the only catcher in MLB history to win three batting titles, and he has also won 2 or 3 gold gloves.  But the Twins are wisely converting him to play first base in order to lengthen his career with that big bat.

Lavarnway is currently hitting up a storm in AAA, but, despite a reportedly great work ethic, is not a candidate for a gold glove at catcher. 

Besides, the Sox right now have an excellent catching tandem in Salty/Tek that should be good for at least one more year. 

The Sox could sure use another very good righty bat in the lineup, which I think means they are going to want to bring Lavarnway to Boston this September, if not earlier, and for all of 2012. 

But where to put him?  1B is taken.  DH is taken right now and could be next year as well if the Sox re-sign Ortiz.  So I think he needs to be developed as an outfielder or maybe even a thirdbaseman.  This would appear to be pretty dumb because to date the Sox have made no effort to expand Lavarnway's defensive repertoire.  He is preparing to be a catcher and only a catcher. 

Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Re: Lavarnway options

he played OF in HS and at Yale before he converted to C.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

But I dont think he was that good in the OF from what Ive read..One moew ywar in AAA to refine his defensive skills will be OK with me..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

I agree that the best place for him to make an impact is behind the plate.  We have a lot of OF and we probably have a DH next year already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

tek won't be around much longer...ortiz is also a FA.  It is possible neither comes back next year, and likely that neither is back the year after that.  Let him refine his skills for at least another 1/2 year in AAA.  A september call up this year for a cup of tea maybe, but mid season next year for sure.  Part of rotation year after, if he continues to develop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya he needs to stick at catcher to maintain his value. A catcher with his hitting abilities is quite rare. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

If VMart and Napoli were not snapped up and given a starting catching job this FA season, why would anyone think Lavarnway will play a significant number of games behind the plate for a big market club?  Those two had really solid hitting records but NO team stepped up.

The Angles went with a light hitter, Toronto didn't stick with Napoli, and then Texas signed Napoli as DH/1B/C.

Cleveland, Boston, Baltimore, and Detroit didn't see VMart as a full-time catcher.  Cleveland didn't even in 2009.

IMO it unrealistic to think a limited athlete like Lavarnway converting to catching very late in development terms has a serious chance to be anything more than an occasional catcher.   The idea he will be a great hitting catcher is probably a pipedream.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Some pretty good comments, thanks.

I say again--if Lavarnway keeps hitting this way, he is going to play MLB. 

tom-uk seems to be the only guy who even mildly agrees with me, and we could both be wrong because the Sox are clearly not trying to expand Lavarnway's defensive repertoire.

I still think he will be on the big club in September to find out if he can hit MLB pitching. 

If Lavarnway is a bad fit for the Sox because of AGon and Ortiz and, as tom-uk alleges, weak catching skills, then maybe he becomes trade bait. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway options:
    [QUOTE]Some pretty good comments, thanks. I say again--if Lavarnway keeps hitting this way, he is going to play MLB.  tom-uk seems to be the only guy who even mildly agrees with me, and we could both be wrong because the Sox are clearly not trying to expand Lavarnway's defensive repertoire. I still think he will be on the big club in September to find out if he can hit MLB pitching.  If Lavarnway is a bad fit for the Sox because of AGon and Ortiz and, as tom-uk alleges, weak catching skills, then maybe he becomes trade bait. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Who is sure that Tek and Salty will maintain their catching roles through 2012. Who is sure that Lavarnway will continue to hit .340 at AAA? Let it play out, we aren't juggling a hot potato.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

he's hitting .390 at AAA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]he's hitting .390 at AAA
    Posted by CTJake14[/QUOTE]

Jesus Montero (09  - 11)  .951   .870   .748

One year ago, Montero was mentioned everywhere, this year he is not getting it done.  Lavarnway is rightfully getting all the press now, but he would have to be a great hitter in MLB like Piazza if he will be as poor a catcher as Napoli or VMart.  Don't forget VMart caught two Cy Youngs, and his catching doesn't cut it.

Not so long ago, Salty put up very good MiLB numbers and look how long it took him to have even a decent half of a season as a catcher in MLB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway options : Who is sure that Tek and Salty will maintain their catching roles through 2012. Who is sure that Lavarnway will continue to hit .340 at AAA? Let it play out, we aren't juggling a hot potato.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true.  The Sox have time and should use it. 

That said, barring injury, I like the Salty/Tek combo for next year.  Tek just caught all of a 16 inning game followed yesterday by 9 more shutout innings.  He should be good for 2/5 games next year, and I think Salty will only improve.

As for Lavarnway, I entirely agree that he is still an unknown despite the great Pawtucket numbers to date. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

If there's a question whether he's athletic and mobile enough to catch, no way will he be able to play OF.  Just because a guy did it in HS doesn't mean anything when you're talking about the big leagues.

Let him keep catching and maybe he develops enough.  If not, you could still have a solid DH who catches occasionally.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

In Response to Lavarnway options:
    [QUOTE]Joe Mauer of the Twins is the only catcher in MLB history to win three batting titles, and he has also won 2 or 3 gold gloves.  But the Twins are wisely converting him to play first base in order to lengthen his career with that big bat. Lavarnway is currently hitting up a storm in AAA, but, despite a reportedly great work ethic, is not a candidate for a gold glove at catcher.  Besides, the Sox right now have an excellent catching tandem in Salty/Tek that should be good for at least one more year.  The Sox could sure use another very good righty bat in the lineup, which I think means they are going to want to bring Lavarnway to Boston this September, if not earlier, and for all of 2012.  But where to put him?  1B is taken.  DH is taken right now and could be next year as well if the Sox re-sign Ortiz.  So I think he needs to be developed as an outfielder or maybe even a thirdbaseman.  This would appear to be pretty dumb because to date the Sox have made no effort to expand Lavarnway's defensive repertoire.  He is preparing to be a catcher and only a catcher.  Thoughts? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
     Just because they played Mauer at first for a few games doesn't mean that they are permanentely converting him to first- he is just playing ther until Morneau comes back, and DH is clogged by Thome, so once Morneau comes back, Mauer will be the starting catcher in Minnesota again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

i see him as a potential trade piece for felix hernandez or for jose reyes! would prefer a mac or vet type to do the rightie OF thing not a young potential stud. let him bide his time if u dont trade him. 2013 we will need him, plus tek will likely have an injury or 2 by then. as with red, we will see what he brings at that point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

LOOK FOR HIM TO BE NEXT YEARS  D H !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Don't forget VMart caught two Cy Youngs, and his catching doesn't cut it.

Actually Victor Martinez only caught one Cy Young winner, at least on a regular basis.  The year Cliff Lee won the Cy, Martinez only caught him for 25 innings, and Lee had an ERA of 5.84 with him that year.  So, though he has caught Lee (more than any other catcher), his Cy year he basically didn't.  Lee's career ERA 3.76, with Martinez 4.84.

I would think the Sox would want to make sure Lavarnway is a good backstop before giving him the job full time.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Comparing Posey and Lavarnway is laughable.  Posey was the 5th pick overall in the draft and is so athletic he played SS at Florida State before he moved to catcher. The knock on Lavarnway is that he's big and stiff and doesn't move very well.  Totally different players

Sections
Shortcuts