Lavarnway promoted to AAA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Lavarnway promoted to AAA

Sources close to SoxProspects have confirmed that catcher Ryan Lavarnway has been promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket following the trade of Michael McKenryMatt Spring has been promoted to Portland to take his place.

In 55 games with Portland this season, the 23-year-old batted .284 with 14 home runs and 25 walks, good for an OPS or .869. He had been splitting time at designated hitter, and promoting him will allow Tim Federowicz to take on the lionshare of the catching duties for the Sea Dogs.

The Yale graduate has excelled at the plate during his time in the Red Sox system, especially in the areas of power and plate discipline. However, his defensive skills have always been lacking, and though there have been reports of him making strides forward in the area, time will tell whether he is able to handle the rigor of the defensive-focused position at the highest level of minors.

In other player movement news, Salem Red Sox broadcaster Evan Lepler reports that catcherJosue Peley will move from Greenville to Salem to fill the spot left by Spring. Lepler also reports that outfielder Bryce Brentz will be activated from the disabled list for tonight's game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: Lavarnway promoted to AAA

Must have ready my post, a few days earler. If he move better than a wooden statue, behind the plate, put Tek on the DL to rest him up for the final part of his contract. Playing part-time has been hard on Tek in 2010.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It good that he has been promote it would be interesting to see his average in Pawetucket. 283 is not amazing in AA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I love the power, BTW

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Nothing wrong with a line of .283/.360/.510 as a 23 y/o catcher in AA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lavarnway promoted to AAA:
    Sources close to SoxProspects have confirmed that catcher  Ryan Lavarnway   has been promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket following the trade of  Michael McKenry .  Matt Spring  has been promoted to Portland to take his place. In 55 games with Portland this season, the 23-year-old batted .284 with 14 home runs and 25 walks, good for an OPS or .869. He had been splitting time at designated hitter, and promoting him will allow  Tim Federowicz   to take on the lionshare of the catching duties for the Sea Dogs. The Yale graduate has excelled at the plate during his time in the Red Sox system, especially in the areas of power and plate discipline. However, his defensive skills have always been lacking, and though there have been reports of him making strides forward in the area, time will tell whether he is able to handle the rigor of the defensive-focused position at the highest level of minors. In other player movement news,  Salem Red Sox broadcaster Evan Lepler reports  that catcher Josue Peley   will move from Greenville to Salem to fill the spot left by Spring. Lepler also reports that outfielder  Bryce Brentz  will be activated from the disabled list for tonight's game.   Posted by Matt Huegel http://news.soxprospects.com/2011/06/ryan-lavarnway-promoted-to-triple.html   This no doubt would have been bigger news before Salty/Tek turned it around, but still great to see.  Supposedly he has also shown some great defensive improvements as well.
    Posted by JB-3

If Lavarnway has a good showing at AAA and strong ST, you will likely see him taking Jasons place next season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway promoted to AAA:
    Must have ready my post, a few days earler. If he move better than a wooden statue, behind the plate, put Tek on the DL to rest him up for the final part of his contract. Playing part-time has been hard on Tek in 2010.
    Posted by betterredthandead

You mean the foul ball that broke his foot last year?  You realize that it isn't 2010 anymore right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Having him be Salty's back-up next season doesn't get him the defensive(or offensive)reps he needs continue what has been rapid advancement in his work behind the plate nor does advance his offensive prowess sitting on the bench.It is possible that he shows enough at the plate rather than behind it that he could be used as a righthanded DH on occasion in Boston as he has been utilized in the minors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Lavarnway promoted to AAA : If Lavarnway has a good showing at AAA and strong ST, you will likely see him taking Jasons place next season.
    Posted by craze4sox

Far too early to tell, but I'd prefer a strong defensive catcher (assuming Salty is the starter).  Also, I'm not sure I would want to stunt Lavarnway's development by putting him into a back up role.  This could still work out depending on how the rest of Salty's 2011, Papi's 2011, and even Youk's 2011 goes.  I could see a situation where Salty catches 4 games a week, with Lavarnway catching 2-3 and DHing 2-3 games a week with Youk potentially DHing the other games.  Youk would also get PT at 3B with Lowrie playing 3rd against LHP.

Anyway, lots of baseball left to play before those decisions need to be made.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Having him be Salty's back-up next season doesn't get him the defensive(or offensive)reps he needs continue what has been rapid advancement in his work behind the plate nor does advance his offensive prowess sitting on the bench.It is possible that he shows enough at the plate rather than behind it that he could be used as a righthanded DH on occasion in Boston as he has been utilized in the minors.
    Posted by kebbe

kebbe, Salty is the man in Theo's eyes which is why he tried to trade for him for the past couple of years.  I think Salty will need to keep improving to keep Lavarnway out of the starting position.  Ryan has that kind of potential but may also see a lot of time at DH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

If varitek continues to be this productive in a back up role, I'd rather have him than some rookie who would play behind salty.

varitek will be back again next season, barring any injury in the second half of this season. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The Red Sox are doomed if Jason's place is taken. Harness will jump off the 10th floor of his government housing project.
    Posted by betterredthandead

You mean the one UR corrupt southern ancestry helped build?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

This almost certainly spells doom for Exposito.  Federowicz will get more time behind the plate, as I suspect Lavarnway will, meaning there is less playing time for Exposito.  Suddenly catcher is a strong suit for the Sox, don't forget Butler and the Cuban.  They even traded one away the other day!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If varitek continues to be this productive in a back up role, I'd rather have him than some rookie who would play behind salty. varitek will be back again next season, barring any injury in the second half of this season. 
    Posted by mudbugger

Why do you feel Jason has been so productive?  He had a three hit game and has hit a few homers much like early last year.  Lavarnway has a good eye and throwing arm.  I think Salty will be far enough along to fit Ryan in as a backup.

I'm not saying Jason can't have a better year but so far its pretty much the same.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway promoted to AAA : You mean the one UR corrupt southern ancestry helped build?
    Posted by harness

Remember these are the people that took pride in losing the the Civil War.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Very few analyst think LAvarnway will stick at catcher but he is a lock for a .285 average at every level he's been to with substantial pop and OBP. As in 24 HR and 102 RBI last year in a little over 462 AB. As in 36 doubles, 21 HR and 87 RBI in 404 AB the year before. The guy has been our minor league offensive player of the year 2 years running. He can flat out hit.

I hope to God he can catch also.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

He will be a sept. call up and he will get a chance to either back up or be the air aprarent to Salty if he falters.  Salty has been a nice suprise, lets see if he can improve on his plate disipline and average.

Lavarnway is a nice prospect that I hope they hold on to for a couple of years to see how he developes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I absolutely agree jb12bb!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, Harness, the government projects that The Great Society built for you and your low moral class family.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Remember these are the people that took pride in losing the the Civil War.

No, these are the people who took pride in the U.S. Constitution and the X Amedment. Lincoln and your ancestors took great pride in segragation and a settlement place in South America for your newest second class citizens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway promoted to AAA : You mean the foul ball that broke his foot last year?  You realize that it isn't 2010 anymore right?
    Posted by JB-3

JB; Softy/red was whining to someone that it was early june because mid june isnt til the 15th..his post was on the 14th..less than 24 hrs away..I can see him not realizing its not 2010 anymore..

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Very few analyst think LAvarnway will stick at catcher but he is a lock for a .285 average at every level he's been to with substantial pop and OBP. As in 24 HR and 102 RBI last year in a little over 462 AB. As in 36 doubles, 21 HR and 87 RBI in 404 AB the year before. The guy has been our minor league offensive player of the year 2 years running. He can flat out hit. I hope to God he can catch also.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Supposedly, he's better defensively than most people in the media give him credit for, at least that's what coaches and umpires tell him.

He's thrown out 40% (14 of 35) of base stealers this year (would be a career high).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway promoted to AAA : JB; Softy/red was whining to someone that it was early june because mid june isnt til the 15th..his post was on the 14th..less than 24 hrs away..I can see him not realizing its not 2010 anymore..
    Posted by southpaw777

Wouldn't "mid-June" be the 11th - 20th?  You know, the middle third when looking at early/mid/late.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway promoted to AAA : Wouldn't "mid-June" be the 11th - 20th?  You know, the middle third when looking at early/mid/late.
    Posted by JB-3

I try not to figure out the "logic" he presents sometimes...just kinda shake my head and laugh it off..some people just can not be wrong...its like it would kill them..

Sections
Shortcuts