Lavarnway stays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Lavarnway stays

How can you send this guy to Pawtucket! H'e's the best hitting prospect since Jim Rice. Find a place for him to play every day, catcher, OF or DH. You can't send him down!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lavarnway stays

They should have thought of this when they offered Papi arb.

I want Lava here playing everyday. To do that, we should trade Salty while his stock is high.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I was just thinking about that again myself today Moon after watching Salty's AB against Tampa. Some teams do need catchers and Lavarnway does appear to be handling the catching duties very well. They improve the team and save money plus pick up maybe some additional depth at reliever or starting pitcher. But what are the chances? Salty wasn't even on the same page with Buchholz today. I think we lose nothing but depth if we trade Salty.

Padilla looks like he may help us some also. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays:
    [QUOTE]I was just thinking about that again myself today Moon after watching Salty's AB against Tampa. Some teams do need catchers and Lavarnway does appear to be handling the catching duties very well. They improve the team and save money plus pick up maybe some additional depth at reliever or starting pitcher. But what are the chances? Salty wasn't even on the same page with Buchholz today. I think we lose nothing but depth if we trade Salty. Padilla looks like he may help us some also. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I was not impressed with how Salty handled the staff last year. I'm not saying he can't improve, but I don't see how Lava can do any worse. I'm nearly certain he will hit much better. I think we could get something very good for Salty, and like you said, save money too.

I'm wondering if he could be part of a deal to get Floyd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]They should have thought of this when they offered Papi arb. I want Lava here playing everyday. To do that, we should trade Salty while his stock is high.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    No right now he is not better DH than Ortiz or a better catcher than Salty. You should argue that Middlebrooks should replace Youk and you might have an agruement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]They should have thought of this when they offered Papi arb. I want Lava here playing everyday. To do that, we should trade Salty while his stock is high.

Maybe the hope is that Saltalamacchia can elevate the value of his stock, get a decent return, and open the door for Lavarnway, all by June 1...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It is what it is, if his bat gets even better he likely replaces Ortiz next year, but if his defense improves he could bethe catcher of the future as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

BosoxJoe - Moon didn't say Lavarnway was a better DH than Ortiz but in case you hadn't noticed it would have saved around $15 mil. If we could have slotted Lavarnway in place of Ortiz we would have had close to 15 mil to sign a top FA starter last winter.

And NFW Middlebrooks is a better solution at 3rd than Youk. The guy was one of the first ones cut in camp this year and has not shown a bat anywhere near ready for the majors. Youk is a decent hitter and OBP machine. Around average defensively, maybe lightly below average at most. Middlebrooks looks like he will be a good 3rd baseman eventually but there is no indication his is ready for the majors as a hitter yet.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Agreed, cash in Salty & play Lava and reap the benefits of both actions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty, Ranaudo and Anderson for Gavin Floyd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I couldn't agree more. I think Lava's defense will improve as he gains more experience, and it's presently not much worse than Salty's now. It's also comparable to the shockingly overrated Shoppach. Start the man!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

obviously lavarnway is the real deal with the bat.  I don't know exactly how far behind he is defensivley.  The two scenerios I think are the best would have been having lavarnway as the backup cuz then he could fill in as a DH randomly as well.  I also like what "Notin" is saying about how we should wait for salty's value to rise as I do expect pretty good things from him.  I think he started to tale off towards the end of the year but that could have been due to not playing as much previous years.  Otherwise I actually like him as a player and do believe that he could reach his potential this year and I think the sox want to wait and see what he does now that he should be comfortable.  As far as handling the staff I thought he did fine.  If we didn't have lavarnway basically wasting away in AAA, I would think most fans would be happy to have salty.  Who knows, maybe salty will tear it up(relativly speaking) and he will be ortiz replacement and then you trade youk if he can't field anymore or you trade salty after this year and move youk to dh with salty as catcher.  Aside from lavarnway waiting in the wings, kelly Shop is better than most backup catchers...got some power(check cleveland where he had 21 bombs in only 352AB and 11HR in 221AB with tampa

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon--I usually agree with your suggestions. I do want Floyd but not at the expense of Ranaudo. I would move Middlebrooks, Salty and one of Bowden/Alex Wilson/ Miller and take on the financial committment.

It's been discussed that Bogaerts could move ahead of Middlebrooks. 

This will be an important year for Ranaudo; if he is assigned to AA Portland and does well perhaps he could be moved to AAA in Aug.. I haven't seen him pitch but he's a kid I am looking forward to seeing in Portland this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Lavarnway has never been a full-time catcher.  It would be ridiculous to expect him to catch 120 games at the major-league level when he's never caught more than 66 in any year at the minor-league level.  

There's an argument to make for splitting the catching duties 50/50 - both Salty and Lavarnway have bats you want to keep fresh, from opposite sides of the plate, and they would be equally comfortable with the pitching staff.  I'd say start Lavarnway at AAA, and trade or DFA Shoppach at the deadline.  Chances are, Lavarnway will be working with at least a couple of guys who will be joining the big-league team by July anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway has never been a full-time catcher.  It would be ridiculous to expect him to catch 120 games at the major-league level when he's never caught more than 66 in any year at the minor-league level.   There's an argument to make for splitting the catching duties 50/50 - both Salty and Lavarnway have bats you want to keep fresh, from opposite sides of the plate, and they would be equally comfortable with the pitching staff.  I'd say start Lavarnway at AAA, and trade or DFA Shoppach at the deadline.  Chances are, Lavarnway will be working with at least a couple of guys who will be joining the big-league team by July anyway.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Is Montero starting the season at AAA?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

To do that, we should trade Salty while his stock is high.

Living off of family entitlements leads to idle time, which causes brain death. Salty's stock is low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that weak hitting decent defending Kelly has replaced a washed up Varitek, Lavarnway should be the other catcher on the roster. Lavarnway should catch about 100 games and DH another 30 or so. Salty should be parked as long as possible for catcher depth, then traded. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : Is Montero starting the season at AAA?
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

He would be if he was in the Sox organization.  Probably splitting time with Lavarnway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : He would be if he was in the Sox organization.  Probably splitting time with Lavarnway.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I mean how could they send this future triple crown winner to AAA?  I don't get it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : I mean how could they send this future triple crown winner to AAA?  I don't get it.

If you want to start a Montero vs Lavarnway thread, I'll join you for some good old-fashioned smack talk, but let's try not to de-rail existing threads.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : If you want to start a Montero vs Lavarnway thread, I'll join you for some good old-fashioned smack talk, but let's try not to de-rail existing threads.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It's just baffling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Lavarnway stays:
    [QUOTE]How can you send this guy to Pawtucket! H'e's the best hitting prospect since Jim Rice. Find a place for him to play every day, catcher, OF or DH. You can't send him down!
    Posted by jader[/QUOTE]   B I N G O  !!!!    Son, your making my (all) POINT/S   !!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : Is Montero starting the season at AAA?

If he hadnt been traded, do you think he would be , Mikey??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : If he hadnt been traded, do you think he would be , Mikey??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

No.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : No.

He wouldnt be on the 40 man roster as a catcher. They dont need a DH where would the yanks put him??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : He wouldnt be on the 40 man roster as a catcher. They dont need a DH where would the yanks put him??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

You're making calls as the Yankee GM?  They wouldn't have Ibanez and he'd be the DH or in a less likely scenario they may have tried to move Cervelli and put him there but thats less likely, he'd be the DH for now.  If he was a better catcher he'd be there but he has a bad glove, not as good as Lavarnway's which is why I'm shocked that such a stud at the plate with a decent glove is gonna start the year at AAA.

Sections
Shortcuts