Lavarnway stays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Lavarnway stays

If the Nats are keeping Bryce Harper down til summer to avoid the super 2 syndrome, methinks the Sox are doing the same with Lav and Iggy.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well said Space, too many short-term thinking posters.  Many like to play GM, but too few like to think about 5 years down the line.

Shoppach / Salty is fine for a few months, they cost very little and the splits work. Frankly all the time spent on Lava/Iglesias is premature.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

it will be okay waiting until June to have him come up to prevent the super two status and delay arbitration for a year.

If a team is making decisions based on this approach, it needs to stop spending a half a billion dollars of payroll every three years. It's about winning games in every month, not waiting to save a few pennies down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!! Own 6 Rolls and want to wait for the coupons to come out for a %50 discount on a set of f' tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Hank - To access the "Everything sucks" thread just click Ctrl-Alt-Delete then the L key.  TYTY, have a nice day.Innocent

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shoppach / Salty is fine for a few months, they cost very little and the splits work. Frankly all the time spent on Lava/Iglesias is premature.

We've spent about as much money on Iggy and Lava as Salty, Aviles, and Shopp.

If Salty and Mikey are the better players, they should start day 1. Many of us do not think they are. That's the bottom line for a contending team.

If it is a close call, I can see keeping Iggy and Lava in AAA to gain another year of control on the back end (theoretically in prime years) of their tenure in Boston, but I'm not sure we can wait that long. These two kids bring a new dimension to this team: SS defense and young right-handed power hitting. These have been two of our biggest weaknesses for many years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

i'm possibly the biggest fan here of both Lavarnway and Iglesias but even I think we would be better off leaving both in AAA ball to make sure to retain that extra year of control. Not having them for 3 months when they are just starting out is worth a whole lot less than a full year in their prime. It's just a prudent, cost effective, winning decision. I'd tell Iglesias to take it easy a little and DH Lavarnway for 1/2 his games. Keep both of them fresh.

Part of my thinking is that neither have really played a full season in the field yet. Iglesias gets a lot of injuries and Lavarnway has never caught that much. He's been mainly a DH. Conserving them a little would be worth it so they can help us down the stretch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays:
    [QUOTE]Shoppach / Salty is fine for a few months, they cost very little and the splits work. Frankly all the time spent on Lava/Iglesias is premature. We've spent about as much money on Iggy and Lava as Salty, Aviles, and Shopp.

Kelly Shoppach, who turns 32 in April, signed on for a second go-around with the Red Sox on a $1.35 million deal

Jarrod Saltalamacchia and the Boston Red Sox have agreed to terms on a one-year, 2.5 million dollar contract,

Shoppachs is a decent enough RHH powerhitter vs LHP 2009 - 2011 .860 OPS with 16 HR in only 252 AB.  Once you factor in his experience catching I fail to see an argument as to why the Sox should waste a year of Lava control.  Probably most importantly why would you jeopardize the current depth by trading Shoppach or Salty? Considering injuries have derailed the last two seasons it would be very foolish to make a trade IMO (and Ben's I bet).

Salty and Mikey are the better players, they should start day 1. Many of us do not think they are. That's the bottom line for a contending team. If it is a close call, I can see keeping Iggy and Lava in AAA to gain another year of control on the back end (theoretically in prime years) of their tenure in Boston, but I'm not sure we can wait that long. These two kids bring a new dimension to this team: SS defense and young right-handed power hitting. These have been two of our biggest weaknesses for many years.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Shoppach is more than adequate to handle the 60 AB vs LHP  until July 1st, and young catchers take time. Mr Moon you have posted the combined #s of a Salty/Shoppach tandem. 

The MLB catcher line for 2011: .244 /  .312 / .388 / .700

2011   vs RHP  Salty   .247 / .304  / .481 / .785
    2011   vs LHP  Shop   .241 / .344 / .444 / .788

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shoppach is more than adequate to handle the 60 AB vs LHP  until July 1st, and young catchers take time. Mr Moon you have posted the combined #s of a Salty/Shoppach tandem.  

The MLB catcher line for 2011: .244 /  .312 / .388 / .700

2011   vs RHP  Salty   .247 / .304  / .481 / .785
    2011   vs LHP  Shop   .241 / .344 / .444 / .788

I think a Salty/Shopp strict platoon will do very well offensively, but I think Lava can do better. If Lava starts 120 games (50 vs LHPs and 70 vs RHPs), I'd see him doing something like this:
       .275/.335/.495/.830  

When I mentioned the cost of Iggy and Lava vs Salty, Shop & Aviles, I meant total cost up to and including 2012. Remember, Iggy got a $6M signing bonus as part of his $8,25M/4 year deal. Sitting Iggy unril half way through 2012 means we essentially will pay him $8.25M for maybe 1.5 years of service.

I understand the extra year of team control argument. It is the only valid argument I see for keeping Iggy and Lava down until July. I still think we need our best players on the field from day 1 to have a chance at making the playoffs. Our best team, to me, includes Iggy as our everyday SS and Lava as our C/DH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The world changed with the last CBA agreement. If we throw away a year of control with top guys like Iglesias and Lavarnway, in the long run we lose. We can't do regular overslot signings any more. We can't go over the luxury tax threshhold without a lot more impact now. We have fewer international signing opportunities. We have more money to spend for staff and such and yes we can go over the luxury tax threshhold some but we are in a much more competitive world. We win now by making better and more long term strategic decisions. The future starts now. 

i think Tom's perspective on current depth issues is also extremely salient. Do we want to lose the opportunity to keep Shoppach for depth? We don't have anything iminnent at catcher beyond Lavarnway on the farm. Injuries are almost inevitable at catcher.

That's how we should be thinking, as badly as we want to see these kids.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Shoppach could turn out to be a decent find also. If he gets back to his Cleveland form, plus he does help us defensively. All this just shows how carrying 3 catchers would have been ideal, with Lavarnway being the primary DH. We didn't know and still do not know how good Lavarnway will prove to be in the majors but that was a risk I was prepared to take with the money saved from Ortiz's departure really helping us in other areas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

We win now by making better and more long term strategic decisions. The future starts now. 

Ellsbury and Crawford and 30M for 2011 were not "better long term strategic decisions". "The future starts now" is not based on "control for one more year" as a basis to construct a roster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salty has an option left. He needs to start in AAA and Lavarnway and Shop should start the year on the active roster!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do we want to lose the opportunity to keep Shoppach for depth?

Salty has an option left. We could start him in AAA and let him "get his act together".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Do we want to lose the opportunity to keep Shoppach for depth? Salty has an option left. We could start him in AAA and let him "get his act together".
     This is a viable option logistically.  But, I think Salty needs to be either on the 25 or moved.  After last year's semi-break-out season, he is on a precipice.  I believe that if he is cast back into the in-development-AAA-shuttle that he was mired in for so long, he won't recover.  its now or never vis-a-vis his mojo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Urgh...I don't mind to confessing to feeling a tad nervous about the boys this year...not enough to change my mantra of "all the way this year, baby!!". 

I'd like to see Salty really do well.  But men never listen to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Urgh...I don't mind to confessing to feeling a tad nervous about the boys this year...not enough to change my mantra of "all the way this year, baby!!".  I'd like to see Salty really do well.  But men never listen to me.
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

The nerves are useful Yoshimi.  As you know, optimum performance cannot be achieved without them.  So, I bet you are at the top of your fan game this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think Lava could be ready now and think he should start. I'd start him and let Salty be his back up. I'd dump Shoppach-his signing made zero sense and I said it immediately after he was signed. I'm much more doubtful about Iggy being ready though. It's one thing to talk about his defensive prowess, but imagine he hits .190 and makes even a few errors early on. The pressure could be crippling on him and damaging to his confidence. I'd let him season another year if he doesn't show any signs of improved hitting soon. He can be an A fielder and a d+ to c- hitter and be ok. But no F's allowed at the major league level...even for shortstops.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]Salty, Ranaudo and Anderson for Gavin Floyd.

An "A" prospect (Ranaudo), "C" prospect (Anderson), and a still-young but has many years on his arbitration clock Salty when the White Sox say they want at least two A's and a B?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

In Response to Lavarnway stays:
    [QUOTE]How can you send this guy to Pawtucket! H'e's the best hitting prospect since Jim Rice. Find a place for him to play every day, catcher, OF or DH. You can't send him down!
    Posted by jader[/QUOTE]

Apparently you missed when Nomar Garciaparra was a Red Sox prospect...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness-envy. Show harness-envy's posts

Imagine how well he would do if a master of CERA was brought back to help. It's still possible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts