Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox

Ryan is slowly edging his way to Fenway and I can't wait.  I really believe this kid could be the long term catching help we needed but time will tell.

Pawtucket Red Sox  Ryan Lavarnway C

G AB  R  H  D  T  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  OBP  SLG  OPS

7  28   6  11 3   0    2    6     20    3     8   .452  .714  1.166

Now all we need is a solid RHH RF!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox

If he keeps hitting, and defends well, he could be our backup catcher next year!
    Looks very promising!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox:
    If he keeps hitting, and defends well, he could be our backup catcher next year! Looks very promising!
    Posted by REBEL

Ryan has hit at every level so he may just be the guy.  Backup next season and probable starter if Salty struggles.  Once he learns the ropes of course which may take another year or two once he hits the bigs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The magic of a 32 PA sample set in AAA with RS Nation is a wonderful thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by fivekatz

Hey fivkatz, I agree it's AAA but he has been consistent everywhere which is usually a good sign of potential.  Whether he gets there is completely up to Ryan but my bet is DH/C is his future in our lineup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

He is exactly the kind of hitter theo and tito are looking for. A righty with on base abilities, some good present power, and even better potential power. As long as he keeps working hard and improving behind the plate, he could very well be the backup next year, and a starter at either catcher or dh in the future depending on how his bat and glove develop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

He is exactly the kind of hitter theo and tito are looking for. A righty with on base abilities, some good present power, and even better potential power. As long as he keeps working hard and improving behind the plate, he could very well be the backup next year, and a starter at either catcher or dh in the future depending on how his bat and glove develop.
    Posted by soxforlife22

Agreed, I'm not one to praise a kid until he proves himself but watching Ryan through the ranks has been fun.  Good patient hitter and strong arm so all thats left if he can carry that into the majors is his defense which has been pretty good and some experience.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BRING HIM UP, NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!  AS DAD WOULD SAY....... "SON, HOW YA GOING TO KEEP HIM DOWN ON THE FARM" !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

BRING HIM UP, NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!  AS DAD WOULD SAY....... "SON, HOW YA GOING TO KEEP HIM DOWN ON THE FARM" !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Better to bring him along slowly Bill, we have all seen what happens when a talented kid gets rushed into the fire. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Better to bring him along slowly Bill, we have all seen what happens when a talented kid gets rushed into the fire. 
    Posted by craze4sox
      SORRY CRAZYMAN.....  IF YOU ARE A GOOD HITTING/GOOD CATCHING CATCHER, YOU ARE BUILT TO "RUSH INTO THE FIRE" !!!  AKA  CARLTON FISK !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox :   SORRY CRAZYMAN.....  IF YOU ARE A GOOD HITTING/GOOD CATCHING CATCHER, YOU ARE BUILT TO "RUSH INTO THE FIRE" !!!  AKA  CARLTON FISK !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Good point, along with Dustin but good hitting catchers are much tougher to come by.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Hey fivkatz, I agree it's AAA but he has been consistent everywhere which is usually a good sign of potential.  Whether he gets there is completely up to Ryan but my bet is DH/C is his future in our lineup.
    Posted by craze4sox
    I don't disagree that his progress is good but in March 2009 most of RS Nation was telling themselves that missing out on signing Mark Texieria wasn't such a bad thing because we had Lars Anderson.

I watched Lavarnway in a couple of AFL games and he looks like he will be a good hitter and I suspect the catching skills will come around.

Don't mind me I was just poking a little fun not so much at you but at how "sugar high" folks get with small sample sets with new players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

Posted by fivekatz

AGREED

THERE IS STILL TIME FOR HIM TO FALL APART AND FAIL TO LIVE YP TO HIS POTENTIAL

LOVE YOUR PESSIMISM MY FRIEND

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No offense, but if I had a dollar for every guy who ever tore it up at Pawtucket, I'd be very, very rich

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Still needs work behind the dish.  Besides, Salty is not about to lose his starting job, so why waste Lavarnway's talent and stunt his development by bringing him up now, or making him the backup next year?

If the Sox become sold on Lavarnway, he and Federowicz might make a good tandem, and Salty might be real good trade bait.  But a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, and right now Saltalamacchia is the bird in the hand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

It is a tie between the Wet Blanket Brigade and Irrational Exuberance Gang. The Realist / Honesty contingent would be proud.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Still needs work behind the dish.  Besides, Salty is not about to lose his starting job, so why waste Lavarnway's talent and stunt his development by bringing him up now, or making him the backup next year? If the Sox become sold on Lavarnway, he and Federowicz might make a good tandem, and Salty might be real good trade bait.  But a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, and right now Saltalamacchia is the bird in the hand.
    Posted by parhunter1

Lavarnway is still young but we may not see him unless Jason or Salty go down to injury.  Otherwise I can see him as our back up next season.  Bringing up Lavarnway as our back up next season would serve us well if he continues to hit.  He gives us another DH option as well as catching if someone is struggling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I like Lavarnway's bat, and for the first time he is young for his league. So it is nice to see that he hasn't yet missed a beat.

Harder to see how he fits onto the major league roster. Perhaps in the Victor Martinez role? Backup catcher and starting DH? Ortiz might have something to say about that, though, so Lavarnway can take his time...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lavarnway looks good, I have to admit.

But if you'll just go back to the Pawtucket website individual stats and look at the line right below his, you'll find someone even better.  He too has just a few at bats--29--and has an OPS over 1.100, plus he has 11 rbi's to Lavarnway's paltry 6.  Best of all, he's a righty hitting outfielder, the perfect replacement for J.D. Drew, who can't hit spit this year. 

His name?  McDonald.  I can't wait to see the Sox move him to the big club so we can watch him tear the AL apart with that great hitting stroke of his.  Plus I've heard he's a pretty good fielder with an excellent arm. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I like Lavarnway's bat, and for the first time he is young for his league. So it is nice to see that he hasn't yet missed a beat. Harder to see how he fits onto the major league roster. Perhaps in the Victor Martinez role? Backup catcher and starting DH? Ortiz might have something to say about that, though, so Lavarnway can take his time...
    Posted by thirtysomething

Val-is that you?  Pop into the Sawxhead game day thread occasionally.  I miss your analytical capabilities.  I virtually never cede mathematical issues, but I'll make an exception in your case.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In Response to Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox:
    Ryan is slowly edging his way to Fenway and I can't wait.   I really believe this kid could be the long term catching help we needed but time will tell. Pawtucket Red Sox   Ryan Lavarnway C G AB  R  H  D  T  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  OBP  SLG  OPS 7  28   6  11 3   0    2    6     20    3     8   .452  .714  1.166 Now all we need is a solid RHH RF!                                                      
    Posted by craze4sox

We had a bitter argument early last year on Sawxheads about who our next catcher ought to be and a couple of us were adamant about Ryan Lavarnway and as Joe Breidy can tell you I was the loudest and most vocal.   This guy is our next first string catcher.  He can hit, hit for power, has a good OBA, is a fast learner and is a very intelligent player.  I almost had to laugh at those posters there and maybe some here who kept holding out for Exposito, Wagner or Fedorowicz.  There is no comparison.  This guy is the real deal and the sooner he gets up to the bigs the better.  That being said, I think he should finish out this year with Pawtucket keep working on his catching and be ready to make Salty the reserve next year when we finally at long last send Varitek on his way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : We had a bitter argument early last year on Sawxheads about who our next catcher ought to be and a couple of us were adamant about Ryan Lavarnway and as Joe Breidy can tell you I was the loudest and most vocal.   This guy is our next first string catcher.  He can hit, hit for power, has a good OBA, is a fast learner and is a very intelligent player.  I almost had to laugh at those posters there and maybe some here who kept holding out for Exposito, Wagner or Fedorowicz.  There is no comparison.  This guy is the real deal and the sooner he gets up to the bigs the better.  That being said, I think he should finish out this year with Pawtucket keep working on his catching and be ready to make Salty the reserve next year when we finally at long last send Varitek on his way.
    Posted by seabeachfred

Hey Fred; since Thirtysomething came here, briefly (and since its been a decade since anyone has heard from him and he is rightfully now Fourtysomething), I thought I would hazard a post here. Whats Lavarnay like defensively? Catchers need to be at least decent at that IMO or they soon find another position to play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Hey Fred; since Thirtysomething came here, briefly (and since its been a decade since anyone has heard from him and he is rightfully now Fourtysomething), I thought I would hazard a post here. Whats Lavarnay like defensively? Catchers need to be at least decent at that IMO or they soon find another position to play.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

Hey Pumpsie, you're here too? You must have read my mind, which to be truthful after our pratfall the past two days should have taken you all of three seconds. I came here on a lark.  Who is Thirty-something anyway???

Lavarnway's biggest question mark was his overall defense, but it has improved markedly the past two seasons and he is very close to being ML ready in that department---at least as good as Satalamacchia, and finally someone on the horizon who can finally get Varitek out of town for good.  As for his offense, a good RH power hitting catcher---something worth their weight in gold.  He is also a very smart and heady player.  Then you should know that since I have been building him up for the past two seasons on Sawxheads.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

seabeachfred,

The following suggests you might be over-rating his defense.

Scouting Report: High baseball IQ with solid catcher's frame. Average-to-slightly above-average contact potential and possesses above-average plate discipline. Slightly closed, crouched stance. Attacks mistake pitches, especially ones out and over the plate. Upper cut swing that produces a bit too much topspin. Solid-average power projection despite plus raw power. Can drive the ball to all fields and uses lower body well in his swing. Likes to get arms extended, which leads to some struggles on the inside third. Well below-average speed. Rough overall catching skills. Limited range behind the dish and slow reactions. Tends to stab at offerings along with catching hand drifting when framing offerings. Average blocking skills, with need to improve how he controls balls bouncing out in front of him and fluidity of footwork. Has made strides with his catch-and-release mechanics since joining the organization. Hard worker and dedicated to honing craft. Despite improvements, catching skills are limited. Will need to increase defensive versatility. Projects as DH/bat off the bench at the major league level.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Agreed, I'm not one to praise a kid until he proves himself but watching Ryan through the ranks has been fun.  Good patient hitter and strong arm so all thats left if he can carry that into the majors is his defense which has been pretty good and some experience.
    Posted by craze4sox

Good thread, craze4sox,

AND you're being sensible too .... looking ahead and yet be excited!

Here's to Lavarnway!!!

Sections
Shortcuts