Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox:
    In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Hey Fred; since Thirtysomething came here, briefly (and since its been a decade since anyone has heard from him and he is rightfully now Fourtysomething), I thought I would hazard a post here. Whats Lavarnay like defensively? Catchers need to be at least decent at that IMO or they soon find another position to play.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

Hail, hail, the gang's all here!

Hiya Pumpsie ...1st Fred, then you .... I know we haven't always agreed, but good to see ya!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

seabeachfred, The following suggests you might be over-rating his defense. Scouting Report : High baseball IQ with solid catcher's frame. Average-to-slightly above-average contact potential and possesses above-average plate discipline. Slightly closed, crouched stance. Attacks mistake pitches, especially ones out and over the plate. Upper cut swing that produces a bit too much topspin. Solid-average power projection despite plus raw power. Can drive the ball to all fields and uses lower body well in his swing. Likes to get arms extended, which leads to some struggles on the inside third. Well below-average speed. Rough overall catching skills. Limited range behind the dish and slow reactions. Tends to stab at offerings along with catching hand drifting when framing offerings. Average blocking skills, with need to improve how he controls balls bouncing out in front of him and fluidity of footwork. Has made strides with his catch-and-release mechanics since joining the organization. Hard worker and dedicated to honing craft. Despite improvements, catching skills are limited. Will need to increase defensive versatility. Projects as DH/bat off the bench at the major league level.
    Posted by maxbialystock

If memory serves me right that scouting report was from early last year before his rapid advancement through the system and his surprising success in the Arizona Instructional League.  Believe me, he is no longer looked upon as a DH or anything off the bench.  This guy is the real thing and is improving his defense at a rapid rate  Watch him the next two years; he will be our regular catcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Hey Pumpsie, you're here too? You must have read my mind, which to be truthful after our pratfall the past two days should have taken you all of three seconds. I came here on a lark.  Who is Thirty-something anyway??? Lavarnway's biggest question mark was his overall defense, but it has improved markedly the past two seasons and he is very close to being ML ready in that department---at least as good as Satalamacchia, and finally someone on the horizon who can finally get Varitek out of town for good.  As for his offense, a good RH power hitting catcher---something worth their weight in gold.  He is also a very smart and heady player.  Then you should know that since I have been building him up for the past two seasons on Sawxheads.
    Posted by seabeachfred

Thanks Fred. I can always depend on your advice for evaluations of minor league players. I don't follow the minors much; good to hear that Lavarnay is sound defensively. Thats a must IMO.
    Thirtysomething is Valentine, a long lost friend. For his own reasons he has disappeared from internet boards, not that I can blame him. I know you remember him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : Hail, hail, the gang's all here! Hiya Pumpsie ...1st Fred, then you .... I know we haven't always agreed, but good to see ya!
    Posted by SinceYaz

Presumably your alias is GRS on the other forum....and thanks.
    Generally one forum is enough for me, but I heard an old friend was here. Sure hope Lavarnay is as good as advertised. Sounds like he might be ready for a cameo next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

wow

pumpise , val & fred all at the same time

that's  good news for the board

Limited range behind the dish and slow reactions. Tends to stab at offerings along with catching hand drifting when framing offerings. Average blocking skills, with need to improve how he controls balls bouncing out in front of him and fluidity of footwork. Has made strides with his catch-and-release mechanics since joining the organization. Hard worker and dedicated to honing craft. Despite improvements, catching skills are limited. Will need to increase defensive versatility. Projects as DH/bat off the bench at the major league level.

I did not read the whole thread but

so I don't know if it's been covered

but if I remember right most of his defensive shortcomings

are only because of lack of expierence

I don't think he became a catcher until just recently

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I still want a Catcher that can throw out baserunners.  Anyone know how his defense has improved this year or has his base stealer stats?  

His bat however is evolving, and he is really starting to look like someone that can hit at the next level.  Maybe a possible inhouse solution to DH if Papi is not resigned???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Varitek is tearing it up with the Red Sox, just look at his BA and OBP. It's too bad VMart wasn't signed so that he started for the first year of his four year contract (Salty backup 2011 and 2012), Lavarnway joining the roster last half of 2011 and, if all goes well there and in call-up(s) during 2012, Ortiz's likely final DH contract year, Lavarnway would take over starting spot in 2013 with VMart moving to DH and backup catcher in his final 2 contract years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Victor won't be walking through that clubhouse door.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If he keeps hitting, and defends well, he could be our backup catcher next year! Looks very promising!
    Posted by REBEL

The only way we'll see him at the show, is with another team. If he stays in the RS organization, it will be 4 or 5 years, you know, when Tek retires.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway tearing it up for Pawsox : If memory serves me right that scouting report was from early last year before his rapid advancement through the system and his surprising success in the Arizona Instructional League.  Believe me, he is no longer looked upon as a DH or anything off the bench.  This guy is the real thing and is improving his defense at a rapid rate  Watch him the next two years; he will be our regular catcher.
    Posted by seabeachfred

I tend to agree,

regardless, Ryan seems to have "Fisk type" tools which we haven't seen in some time or at the very least a good replacement for David at some point.  

Sections
Shortcuts