LAVARNWAY, Ummmmm, 9 R B I's over the last 9 games !!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

LAVARNWAY, Ummmmm, 9 R B I's over the last 9 games !!!!

Looks more like CARLTON FISK every day  !!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: LAVARNWAY, Ummmmm, 9 R B I's over the last 9 games !!!!

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks more like CARLTON FISK every day  !!!!!

[/QUOTE]And what say you, all you T-BALLERS  ?????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He looks less and less like Carlton Fisk everyday to me.

It's been a short sample size, but perhaps my expectations were too high.

(BTW, he is nearly even with Shoppach in Sox PAs in 2012. He should get the 24 PAs needed to pass Shopp by season's end.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think what we're seeing from both Salty and Lavarnway is that catching takes a lot out of you - both these guys caught more games than they ever had before, and Lavarnway in particular was very focused on defense.  A 50/50 split, with maybe some DH or 1B (depending on the rest of the roster going forward) might be the best situation for both players, and the team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, slo, but I'm not sure these two hit well enough to be DHs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think either will make you forget Ortiz, but realistically there are very few players in the game who allow themselves to be full-time DHs, and even if we could find one with a decent bat, we might prefer to use the position for roster flexibility.  Most teams just use the position as a half-rest for a position player. 

Look at who is DH'ing around the league today

Joe Mauer
    Delmon Young
    Jonny Gomes
    Derek Jeter
    Chris Davis
    Dustin Pedroia
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Luke Scott
    Carlos Santana
    Billy Butler

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FYI, I do think Lavarnway will be a very good hitter, very patient, and elite vs LHP.   Salty will probably always be what he is, but will have seasons when he hits .260+, which will bring his OPS over .800.  Both players appear to be very streaky, and I think we're seeing a bit of a cold streak from Lavarnway, but the number of games caught this year may have something to do with that as well.  He's now caught 104 games between AAA and the majors this year.  That's 34 more than last year, his previous high.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think either will make you forget Ortiz, but realistically there are very few players in the game who allow themselves to be full-time DHs, and even if we could find one with a decent bat, we might prefer to use the position for roster flexibility.  Most teams just use the position as a half-rest for a position player. 

Look at who is DH'ing around the league today

Joe Mauer
    Delmon Young
    Jonny Gomes
    Derek Jeter
    Chris Davis
    Dustin Pedroia
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Luke Scott
    Carlos Santana
    Billy Butler

[/QUOTE]

I can't see a time when I'd ever want Salty as my DH even for one game. As he compares to catchers, his offense is better than average, but as a DH, I'd rather have Nava or Gomez vs RHPs and Ross or almost anyone vs LHPs where Salty really struggles.

On the other hand, Lava may turn into a fine hitter that could hit well enough to be a part-time DH. The issue here is that Lava should catch ve LHPs, because that is where Salty is weakest. If you then look at Lava vs RHPs, we'd probably have some lefties on the 2013 roster that would be better options.

Sure, if they DH a game here and there, fine, but I don't see either of these guys looking  like a true DH type or even an extended PT DH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

7-35 with 1 HR over that period.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  he is on the cusp !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lavarnway's BIBIP in the majors this year is .207. When he does hit the ball it doesn't seem to want to drop in. Can't make too many excuses though since I haven't seen many of his AB and for the ones I have seen it hasn't been a lot of solid contact. There is no way to make these numbers look good.

Historically in the minors he has been an excellent RBI guy. Over 100 one season if I remember correctly. With decent OBP numbers also. This guy should still hit enough to be an above average offensive catcher IMO. Still.

I don't think we are looking at our DH here though any time soon. Gomez might be able to fit that slot well though. We can save a ton of cash there if we want and why not? Given our situation. It's not like we are probably contenders next year. Not saying it's impossible but the chances are not good. Why not roll the dice with Gomez and maybe get a pick for Ortiz?

What we need is an emerging stud like Dylan Bundy. A guy like that can really carry a franchise potentially. Let's hope for a top 7 or 8 pick. Top 5 would be even better! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Gomez?  Nava!!  Ciriaco?

I'm a Sox fan, I want all our players to perform well, and I always hope for the best for all.  But these are not young players, they are veteran minor leaguers.

Who couldn't love Nava's backstory?  But he will never be a starter in MLB.  Gomez?  There isn't a long list of twice-released 28-year olds that suddenly discovered "it".  Ciriaco?  Given that his MiLB OPS is roughly the same as Nick Punto's MLB OPS it's hard to see....but he's only had 3,500 MiLB PAs, so let's give him time.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bill, do you have any thoughts on why Lav has been struggling since he joined the MLB team?

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bill, do you have any thoughts on why Lav has been struggling since he joined the MLB team?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If it involves more than one line of stuff like "Hes a future HOF'er", probably not...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Yes,  He worked very hard on his defense in 3AAA......  I look for 162 RBI's next year !!!