Lavarnway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Lavarnway

Lavarnway looks completely overmatched so far. His bat looks slow and he swings at a lot of bad balls. At least Sox can afford to have him hit like crap because they are out of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Lavarnway

I noticed in ST that Lavarnway tends to swing at the high inside FB. Not much can be done with that pitch if contact is made. It will be either pulled foul or popped up. Its purpose is to get a strike or an out, and to set up breaking balls. He should, and probably will, learn to lay off it. Same for Middlebrooks.
    His numbers look worse than does reality. He's hit some balls hard into outs.
    The long fly to left tonight probably would have cleared that dreadful monstrosity in Boston. But he got under the ball and did not really crush it. 
    He's pressing a bit, which is to be expected. In a platoon with Softy, he may relax more and begin to show why his record so far and scouting reports indicate that he has promise at the plate. He's had only 24 AB's ( I think ). I suggest patience.
    He seems a bit stiff behind the plate, but I'd expect him to become more fluent with experience. His hands are a little rigid too. He tends to grasp at some pitches. That could mean over-anxiety. He knows what's going on only too well. This may not be his life-and-death audition in Boston, but it's important and MAY figure in decisions that the FO takes in the offseason. Once again, as with his hitting, I'd give him time to settle down behind the plate. He's also trying to learn the pitchers and they him. That know-how typically does not come quickly or easily. But he's a smart kid. He figures to get the hang of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Sounds a lot like Chris Mellen's scouting report to me ex-pitch. Hopefully Lavarnway will relax a little now that Shoppach is gone. It looks like the Sox are committed to giving him a good shot. I hope he DH's a little also in order to give him enough AB to get rolling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

How refreshing to read some constructive criticism instead of all the bashing of players, even though it's in this poster's thread.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Lavarnway will be fine, as he is a power hitter who I believe will hit around .280 with 20 to 25 HR'S once he gets enough playing time, but that will have to wait until 2013.
    Lavarnway is the least of  the Sox problems, cleaning out the clubhouse and ridding themselves of malcontents is of the utmost concern.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Back off and give the kid a break......  I still say, the next "CARLTON FISK"  !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway:
    Sounds a lot like Chris Mellen's scouting report to me ex-pitch. Hopefully Lavarnway will relax a little now that Shoppach is gone. It looks like the Sox are committed to giving him a good shot. I hope he DH's a little also in order to give him enough AB to get rolling.
    Posted by RedsoxProspects
    Mellen seems to have it right. Did he mention laying off the FB high and tight? I think that if the kid does that, he'll force pitchers to come down a bit. If they miss and the ball is just above the belt on the inner third, Lavarnway is strong enough to give it a ride. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I think you are being overly optimistic, until he can lay off that pitch major league pitchers will give him a steady diet of those pitches. He cannot hit them or layoff them.. I think he is a 260 hitter with about 13 homeruns a year. If he can play defense as well as Shoppach he will be okay. In response to "Re: Lavarnway":
    Lavarnway will be fine, as he is a power hitter who I believe will hit around .280 with 20 to 25 HR'S once he gets enough playing time, but that will have to wait until 2013. Lavarnway is the least of  the Sox problems, cleaning out the clubhouse and ridding themselves of malcontents is of the utmost concern. Posted by peanutandme

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway : Mellen seems to have it right. Did he mention laying off the FB high and tight? I think that if the kid does that, he'll force pitchers to come down a bit. If they miss and the ball is just above the belt on the inner third, Lavarnway is strong enough to give it a ride. 
    Posted by expitch

The general scouting book on him has been inside pitches for some time, and to a degree it seems to be working. He likes to get extension of his arms, as do most HR hitters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway : The general scouting book on him has been inside pitches for some time, and to a degree it seems to be working. He likes to get extension of his arms, as do most HR hitters.
    Posted by RedsoxProspects
    Right. 
    He needs to stop helping the pitcher and lay off the pitch above the letters and tight. If he forces pitches to bring the ball down, he can still turn on the inside pitch ( if he isn't jammed ) and get wood on it. Perhaps the arms won't be fully extended but he can hit some ropes with wrist action. His swing is not as long and loopy as is Salty's, so only a minor adjustment is called for. Easier said than done, I know -- especially by someone who's not standing there with a bat.
    But the potential is obviously there. Let's hope for every little thing that will help realize it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

kind of early to rip on Lavarnway since he's had a long absence from MLB. I've said this many times but Pawtucket is so far below MLB, and people think you hit well in AAA, you will automatically hit well in MLB. Not so. He needs an adjustment period and this is it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

kind of early to rip on Lavarnway since he's had a long absence from MLB. I've said this many times but Pawtucket is so far below MLB, and people think you hit well in AAA, you will automatically hit well in MLB. Not so. He needs an adjustment period and this is it. 
    Posted by dannycater
    Danny, only a couple of people have ripped on Lavarnway. I think that most of us on the board favor patience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The expectations put on him are really high, and we don't need anymore guys who aren't ready to fail.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's great to defend Lavarnway and insist he be given more time, etc, but let's not forget that a bunch of people and threads have said he is ready right now to be the next Johnny Bench--an exaggeration, but not too far off the mark.  Right now he is the next Shoppach, a righty hitting catcher to complement Saltalamacchia, and that's enough of a challenge.   

I think his AAA and last September MLB track records show he can hit.  Plus this year I think he was voted the best defensive catcher in the International League.  Now he is getting extra opportunities to catch and hit in the bigs, clearly with the idea of deciding what to do next year.  My prediction is Salty and Lavarnway will both be back for 2013. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

The expectations put on him are really high, and we don't need anymore guys who aren't ready to fail.
    Posted by dannycater
    Ditto.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The kid is only 24, and so much has been written about him already. High expectations can equal high pressure, and this is Boston.

I've seen some posters make judgements on smaller sample sizes than Lava's career 69 MLB PAs. I'm glad it hasn't gone that route here, but it will if he goes another week sub .200.

Afterall, people are annointing Ciriaco our SS of the future based on 139 career PAs in MLB spread over 3 years.

I am keeping an open mind, but I am watching closely how Lava handles our pitching staff, blocks bad pitches, and makes plays around the plate more than his CS rate. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Lavarnway is going to be a good major league hitter.  He may not meet Bill-806's lofty expectations of The Next Pudge, but he is going to be good.  But, it is worth noting that there were so very many in this forum that were flummoxed and furious that Ryan didn't make the opening day roster.  They saw three weeks of Ryan hitting well last September with clubs getting their first look at the kid and proclaimed him ready for the Show.  But, as usual, we forum posters were/are operating with significantly less information and acumen than anyone in the organization.  Perhaps a couple folks on the inside noticed the major holes in his swing?  His lack of defensive prowess? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

He will struggle, but at least he gets to experience Boston and observe some great hitters, both on his team and also when he is behind the dish.

Kinda funny that he struggles laying off the high and tight pitch, while Salty can't let those low and in go past.....these guys complete each other!

I hope he learns to be patient.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The kid is only 24, and so much has been written about him already. High expectations can equal high pressure, and this is Boston. I've seen some posters make judgements on smaller sample sizes than Lava's career 69 MLB PAs. I'm glad it hasn't gone that route here, but it will if he goes another week sub .200. Afterall, people are annointing Ciriaco our SS of the future based on 139 career PAs in MLB spread over 3 years. I am keeping an open mind, but I am watching closely how Lava handles our pitching staff, blocks bad pitches, and makes plays around the plate more than his CS rate. 
    Posted by moonslav59

I'm anointing Ciriaco at SS for the rest of 2012 with Aviles at 3b. But every time I see the Vote of Confidence Manager make out his lineup card it's
    2. Ciriaco, DH or 9. Punto, 3b or 8. Valencia, 3b and Aviles at SS. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Guy ripped a double yesterday, let him in the lineup v. a righty. Really, it's ok.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway : I'm anointing Ciriaco at SS for the rest of 2012 with Aviles at 3b. But every time I see the Vote of Confidence Manager make out his lineup card it's 2. Ciriaco, DH or 9. Punto, 3b or 8. Valencia, 3b and Aviles at SS. 
    Posted by dannycater

I don't get it either. Ciriaco is clearly the better fielder.

I'm with you: Ciriaco should get a long look at SS the rest of this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Back off and give the kid a break......  I still say, the next "CARLTON FISK"  !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

The White Sox will be thrilled to hear that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I don't care where Pedro plays as long as it's not DH (that would mean Ortiz is not ready). But, he's got to be in there somewhere. Tonight's lineup has the likes of Aviles and Punto. Stop it!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not concerned about Lav, and Ciriaco might as be in there every day.  I think he'll be exposed, but might as well find out now.

Sections
Shortcuts