Lavarnway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Lavarnway

let him take some reps in the OF or at 1B in spring training. if he could play three positions he might be a pretty valuable utility player considering the two catchers are ancient. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply don't see many PA's for Lava assuming health for the Sox C's. Red Sox will carry only 2, Ross and AJ, and Pawsox will also carry 2, Vazquez with Butler as his caddy.

What has anyone seen from Lava's bat that indicates he is major league ready? And what has anyone seen from Lavas bat that indicates he is anywhere near Middlebrooks at this point in time? 

I see Him cut loose via trade or release to try and catch on else where

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

cI like to look at catchers through CERA or catchers ERA.  Just tells you how well a pitching staff threw to a catcher on a single staff.  Apples to apples comparison so you can tell who improves the pitchers on the team.

Lavarnway

2013  4.56 CERA in 164 innings

2012  5.84 CERA in 189 innings

Salty

2013  3.86 CERA in 1004 innings

2012  4.85 CERA in 852 innings

2011  4.63 CERA in 856 innings

Cody Ross

2013  3.13 CERA in 286 innings

2012  3.59 CERA in 422 innings

2011  3.11 CERA in 379 innings

*Ross has not had a CERA over 3.59 since 2008

From defense alone, Lava gives up considerable runs per game.  Think about these as pitching stats as they translate the same.  They say that if a pitching staff pitches to one catcher over the other the entire team's ERA improves by that amount.  If one pitcher has a 3.13 ERA, that's very good...3.86 is good, a 4.56 ERA is not good. 

Lava has shown that he is not a good enough defensive catcher for this team.  His power has been down the past couple of years, but there is still potential there as a hitter.  That said, he isn't all that athletic to move to any other position besides DH in the very near term future and would have the most value in a trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

let him take some reps in the OF or at 1B in spring training. if he could play three positions he might be a pretty valuable utility player considering the two catchers are ancient. 

He runs like one of the Molina brothers... the only chance would be first base.  The fact that the Sox have not tried him out there yet tells me they want to maximize the value of him because he is indeed a catcher to them.   They might also think that he is not athletic enough to field first base.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's got to be looking over his shoulder every day.  He has better players ahead of him (AJ & Ross) and better players behind him (Swihart & Vasquez).  He needs to think about either changing positions or changing teams... or both.

[/QUOTE]

Yea but most likely Ross will get hurt and Ryan will his stint in for the sox.  He is a good player to have ready to go. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hopefully they move Lavarnway to OF or 1B.  He is a more disciplined than Brentz or Middlebrooks but his clockis ticking...

[/QUOTE]

Does he really have the bat to be in a corner slot?  I like him as 3rd catcher in AAA

[/QUOTE]

Such lofty goals.  "He's good enough to back up the backup! In the minors!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hopefully they move Lavarnway to OF or 1B.  He is a more disciplined than Brentz or Middlebrooks but his clockis ticking...

[/QUOTE]

Does he really have the bat to be in a corner slot?  I like him as 3rd catcher in AAA

[/QUOTE]

Such lofty goals.  "He's good enough to back up the backup! In the minors!"

[/QUOTE]

That is what he is though. He is the guy that plays at AAA and comes up when someone gets hurt.  If he gets moved to first he is the same guy. Jeff Bailey part 2.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He's got to be looking over his shoulder every day.  He has better players ahead of him (AJ & Ross) and better players behind him (Swihart & Vasquez).  He needs to think about either changing positions or changing teams... or both.

[/QUOTE]Changing teams ????   Then at some point we can ask, "why don't we get players like that" ??????   Just needs an opportunity to play !!
    [/QUOTE]

Bill, 

When he has played his defense is weak at best and hitting sub-par. He's had opportunity and just hasn't shown enough.

Hetch 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Changing teams ????   Then at some point we can ask, "why don't we get players like that" ??????   Just needs an opportunity to play !!
    [/QUOTE]

Bill, 

When he has played his defense is weak at best and hitting sub-par. He's had opportunity and just hasn't shown enough.

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. He has never been given a real shot at the job like Pedroia or Middlebrooks was given. Remember how Pedroia struggled in the beginning when he first came up? He was given a fair shot and was told the job was his. So was WMB, though he has not shown as much as everyone hoped for. Would Lavarnway flourish or fail if he were given a fair shot to play regularly? No one knows. But he HAS succeeded at every level where he has been given that chance to play. I think the Sox are making a big mistake by not letting him play as the everyday catcher.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

Hetch 

[/QUOTE] YEAAAAA but,  ya got a YALE man in a "CARLTON FISK" body !!!  The swing too !!

[/QUOTE]

We are all waiting for you to take back "he's the next Carlton Fisk" rants.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

With all due respect...Those of you thinking he deserves a shot or has earned one, you are wrong. Have you not watched his defense or even know what to look for? Hes a bad defender and his bat has gone south the last 2 years. To earn or deserve a shot, my guess is that it would help if you are improving, not declining. This isnt LL where everyone gets a shot to play. They actually have to earn a shot in MLB. Lavarnway hasnt. He is now the DH in AAA. Maybe if his bat comes back and he learns another position like 1b, he will have a better chance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

those who tout his swing are simply clueless.  It's all from his shoulders.  The guy can't play D, & his vaunted swing is nonexistent!

the next Carlton Fisk my arrrssss!  Fisk would be profoundly insulted, & understand that the guy who coined this has his head lodged up his rear.  He only gets a hit when a pitcher makes a mistake & leaves one hanging high, right at his shoulders.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

To compare Lavarnway to Fisk is a crime. He appears to be 5th on the depth chart and slotted in as the DH in Pawtucket. There is AJ, Ross, Vaquez, Butler, then Lavarnway...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

Hetch 

[/QUOTE] YEAAAAA but,  ya got a YALE man in a "CARLTON FISK" body !!!  The swing too !!

[/QUOTE]

Please stop talking about your 'love' of young baseball players and their body....

AWRARRRRRRRRDDDD

Glad to see you're a Lib though!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To compare Lavarnway to Fisk is a crime. He appears to be 5th on the depth chart and slotted in as the DH in Pawtucket. There is AJ, Ross, Vaquez, Butler, then Lavarnway...

[/QUOTE]Yes, and remember that "FISK" came out of no where as there was not "much" (if I remember) in front of him ....... Fisk got his chance & never looked back !!

[/QUOTE]
    Assuming that I agree with you... and I MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT!... how far would you like to go with this "give them a chance" business?

Bogarts and JBJ are apparently getting chances..and you want to add a third??   In additon to that the team is also apparently giving Middlebrooks a "chance" to prove he's the Good Middy and not the Bad Middy.  Where would you end it? 

Sometimes you take a chance by letting young players play, and sometimes you take a chance by NOT letting young players play.  I see more potential for Middlebrooks, Bogarts and JBJ to be able to play their positions than I do of Lavarnway morphing into a ML catcher.  Three is more than enough "chances" for the defending WS Champions to be taking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With all due respect...Those of you thinking he deserves a shot or has earned one, you are wrong. Have you not watched his defense or even know what to look for? Hes a bad defender and his bat has gone south the last 2 years. To earn or deserve a shot, my guess is that it would help if you are improving, not declining. This isnt LL where everyone gets a shot to play. They actually have to earn a shot in MLB. Lavarnway hasnt. He is now the DH in AAA. Maybe if his bat comes back and he learns another position like 1b, he will have a better chance.

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, that is YOUR opinion. Others see it differently, and how the FO sees it is not particularly relevant as that is THEIR opinon. This is not a matter of fact; its a matter of opinion. When I look at indicators of potential success I look to see if a player has a history of success, and Lavarnway has that at every level he has been given a chance to play regularly. You cannot judge him based on his ML performance to date because its impossible to get in a groove with the way he has been used. My friend Seabeachfred is a former baseball scout; he believes Lavarnway deserves a shot too and he knows more about the game than you or I do in terms of evaluating talent. In any event, I respect your OPINION about this; I just disagree. I think we are missing the boat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lavarnway has a history of successful hitting in the minors.  It appears to be his lack of development as a defensive catcher that is really holding him back.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

At least Ryan Lavarnway did not cost the Red Sox a Michael Pineda as Oliver projects similar 2014 numbers for Jesus Montero and Lavarnway:

JM 143 G, 600 PA, .262/.309/.411/.720, 2.9 WAR

RL 143 G, 600 PA, .250/.322/.405/.727, 3.0 WAR

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5514&position=C/DH

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8879&position=C/DH

Oliver projects 143 games and 600 plate appearances for each MLB player.

Because of defensive limitations, the Seattle Mariners face a similar issue with Montero, who unlike Lavarnway is a former top-ranked prospect.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts