Lavarnway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Lavarnway

Lavarnway chance at being a catcher at the ML level with the Sox has passed....even if you believe he never was really given that chance....IMHO the Sox will either move him or if they retain him he will be at Pawtucket working on 1B skills......the Sox clearly have more confidence in othe catching prospects than Lava and wouldnt want to stunt theri development by not having them catch regularly in the minors. That said..Lava looked like he had really big RH power potential....if he can regain that stroke and confidence and learn to play 1B, he makes himself a useful Bench guy and a better trade piece.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox have 4 other catchers on the 40 man roster.  But there is no reason Lavarnway could not start at 1B over Brandon Snyder in Pawtucket..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lavarnway has a history of successful hitting in the minors.  It appears to be his lack of development as a defensive catcher that is really holding him back.

[/QUOTE]

No arguement there. I have no problem giving him a shot at 1B. I DO have a problem giving him on someone with the potential to have an OPS over .800 at the ML level, which is where he has been at every minor league level. You cannot tell me that he can be judged on the basis of the sporadic playing time he has had so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does this guy have any future with the Sox or even as trade bait? I would hope to see him get a shot at some playing time this season, being that Boston's other two catchers are 37. Could Lava play 1st or OF ? Could he be a 40 man roster casualty? Would he clear waivers?

[/QUOTE]Lavarnway, the "next Carlton Fisk" could be the biggest surprise in 2014 !!!

Bill, I think you're delirious !! He'll be the next Lars Anderson more likely. 

Hetch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have 4 other catchers on the 40 man roster.  But there is no reason Lavarnway could not start at 1B over Brandon Snyder in Pawtucket..

[/QUOTE]

Besides Travis Shaw we are most definately thin on first base depth in the minors.  That said, I believe the Sox see the most value in a trade with him as being a catcher.  If we don't plan on trading him this year, then I think this is the way they will begin to go. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Besides Travis Shaw we are most definately thin on first base depth in the minors.  That said, I believe the Sox see the most value in a trade with him as being a catcher.  If we don't plan on trading him this year, then I think this is the way they will begin to go. 

There's a pretty good chance that if nobody is traded, Middy or Cecchini ends up at 1B, so that alone upgrades our 1B future depth by a massive amount.

We also have Michael Almanzar rated above T Shaw at 1B, but at 23 I'm not sure he is a big plus to our 1b youth depth. Then, there is Nick Longhi ranked #40 by soxprospects.com.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The guy may never have played 1st base in his life and he's not lighting things up with the bat now and some of you want to make him a 1st baseman? He was an outfielder in college and obviously is too slow for that. He's a catcher/DH or NOTHING.

That said, he did hit .299 in the mlb level last year, against a series of excellent pitchers by the way, including quite a few right handers. He wasn't that bad at throwing out runners and he has an IQ of above 150 probably as a Yale guy so he should be an excellent pitch caller. His only real problem is blocking balls in the dirt. ?Other than that he can catch at the mlb level, and tons of guys had problems with that when they first came up, for example TEK and Victor Martinez.

The guy has gotten a bad deal. If it takes trading him to get a shot somewhere I hope it helps him get a chance somewhere but I find it hard to believe that the Redsox don't want him as their shuttle catcher depth in AAA ball. Butler is more likely to be traded in my opinion. We are a world series champion. We would want a guy with some mlb experience as AAA depth. I really think Lavarnway will eventually become a solid starting catcher for some team, for 5 plus years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The thing with a lot of players like Lavarnway is they have to play for a while before they can find their stroke. The guy was always a power hitter coming up, and always seemed to catch his stride late in the year. With a big swing like his, that is no surprise. He needs to play 50-60 games to even have a chance to produce.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

There's a pretty good chance that if nobody is traded, Middy or Cecchini ends up at 1B, so that alone upgrades our 1B future depth by a massive amount.

We also have Michael Almanzar rated above T Shaw at 1B, but at 23 I'm not sure he is a big plus to our 1b youth depth. Then, there is Nick Longhi ranked #40 by soxprospects.com.

We might lose Almanzar in the rule 5 draft, so it is not certain that he will even be here next year.  As for Middlebrooks, why would we move him to first when we signed Napoli for a couple of years?  We already have Carp and Nava... that's cool on the big club... I'm saying depth in the minors is poor.  I bet that is where Lava ends if he stays with the club after this next year.

Middlebrooks is keeping the seat warm for Cecchini as he profiles as a Red Sox style of hitter and grinds out at bats IMO. 

Here is a great writeup about him on MLB.com that just came out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/bernie-pleskoff-red-sox-have-versatile-infield-prospect-in-cecchini?ymd=20131209&content_id=64493790

He lacks power, but is only 22 and could add it... but as for all the other packages, I would say he is a four tool player. 

Even though he has only hit up to AA levels, his Oliver projections have him as a 3 win player this year if given 600 at bats.  Steamer even has him getting 98 at bats with a 0.3 WAR. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa548308&position=3B

It should be noted that Oliver projects Middlebrooks to be a 2.8 win player in the upcoming year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

The guy may never have played 1st base in his life and he's not lighting things up with the bat now and some of you want to make him a 1st baseman? He was an outfielder in college and obviously is too slow for that. He's a catcher/DH or NOTHING.

That said, he did hit .299 in the mlb level last year, against a series of excellent pitchers by the way, including quite a few right handers. He wasn't that bad at throwing out runners and he has an IQ of above 150 probably as a Yale guy so he should be an excellent pitch caller. His only real problem is blocking balls in the dirt. ?Other than that he can catch at the mlb level, and tons of guys had problems with that when they first came up, for example TEK and Victor Martinez.

The guy has gotten a bad deal. If it takes trading him to get a shot somewhere I hope it helps him get a chance somewhere but I find it hard to believe that the Redsox don't want him as their shuttle catcher depth in AAA ball. Butler is more likely to be traded in my opinion. We are a world series champion. We would want a guy with some mlb experience as AAA depth. I really think Lavarnway will eventually become a solid starting catcher for some team, for 5 plus years.

Lava hit 295 with an OBP 390 and 376 in 2011 and 2012... there is a reason he was one of our top prospects.  His hit tool translates very very well at the major league leve for a catcher.  He has hit over 20 home runs at every level and finally started to show some hitting in the majors... he is basically Salty without the strikeouts and an ability to walk.  Nothing to sneeze at, but the real question is... can this kid call a game?  Farrell didn't seem to trust him and barely played him even though his bat was playing well.  I believe it is because pitchers were performing poorly with him behind the plate.

His CERA is a run and a half higher than Ross.  It would be like spotting the opponents a run and a half ever game if we played them... the stat is flawed, but it can compare pitchers on the same staff well IMO.   That said, he is a smart dude... so if he can continue to improve, who knows.  He will always be a bat first catcher like Napoli, but he is less athletic. 

I think you are right however.  The Sox will likely keep him as a third catcher who is familiar with the pitching staff.  He has a lot of upside after a weak year and we would not typically want to sell low.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

See todays extra bases.....  Ben speaks highly of Lavarnway !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, because he'd like to trade him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, because he'd like to trade him.

[/QUOTE]Very POSSIBLE  !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With all due respect...Those of you thinking he deserves a shot or has earned one, you are wrong. Have you not watched his defense or even know what to look for? Hes a bad defender and his bat has gone south the last 2 years. To earn or deserve a shot, my guess is that it would help if you are improving, not declining. This isnt LL where everyone gets a shot to play. They actually have to earn a shot in MLB. Lavarnway hasnt. He is now the DH in AAA. Maybe if his bat comes back and he learns another position like 1b, he will have a better chance.

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, that is YOUR opinion. Others see it differently, and how the FO sees it is not particularly relevant as that is THEIR opinon. This is not a matter of fact; its a matter of opinion. When I look at indicators of potential success I look to see if a player has a history of success, and Lavarnway has that at every level he has been given a chance to play regularly. You cannot judge him based on his ML performance to date because its impossible to get in a groove with the way he has been used. My friend Seabeachfred is a former baseball scout; he believes Lavarnway deserves a shot too and he knows more about the game than you or I do in terms of evaluating talent. In any event, I respect your OPINION about this; I just disagree. I think we are missing the boat.

[/QUOTE]

Its very relevent how the FO sees it.

Ok, his recent history has suggested hes not doing good. in both MLB and MiLB. The Sox and everyone else knew that they would only be acceptable defensively at the MLB level IF his offense remained in tact. It has gone south for the last 2 years. Those are facts.  So, being a below avaerage catcher and now having issues with his offense, it is not acceptable anymore. Pitchers arent comfortable pitching to him. Thats why Salty was used so much when Ross went down. Thats a BIG factor in this equation too. Im not saying he should never get a shot, just not this year. Maybe he will get a shot next year, but its probably not happening this year. I like him and I also believe the Sox still like him, but he hasnt earned anything. I still say they should give him time at 1b so hes more versitile. It can only help him and his chances.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/12/04/what-now-ryan-lavarnway-look-his-uncertain-red

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131209&content_id=64519076&notebook_id=64532886&vkey=notebook_bos&c_id=bos

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And the risk with him playing 1B in Pawtucket is...?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

School smarts and baseball smarts/instincs are totally different.

Seriously, I laugh when I hear this reasoning. Im not saying hes not a smart baseball player, but to just say since he went to Yale, he will be a good game caller is ridiculous.

Im against giving him a shot this year because his offense has taken a hit the last 2 years, he cant block balls in the dirt, and its been suggested the Sox pitchers dont like pitching to him.

I like Lav, but there is nothing wrong with handing him a 1b mit and see how he does. He doesnt have to be very athletic to play there and what harm will it do to see how he does there? The workload of a MLB catcher takes away from the offense for most catcher, especially guys like Lavarnway, who isnt that good defensively to begin with... I think if hes not catching that offense will come back. And if he can have passable defense at 1b along with the offense, you can justify him playing there. The only reason the Sox would allow him to catch was because of the offense. That is/was his calling card, so to speak. Hes never going to be a great defender at any position, but if he can have a 300BA 360OBP and 500slg with 25HR like he has a  couple years ago, he has value.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The thing is if Lavarnway played plus defense at a premium position he would be a starter by now, or at least given a longer look at a position here or elsewhere.  Maybe he would have progressed into a decent hitter as well....but he's not a good fielder, and his positional versatility and defense is limited.  Therefore it is his bat that is the carrying tool.  

He's definitely had some health issues the last few years, and they were due to illness and not injury so perhaps he still has a shot to make something for himself....but it's going to either be in pawtucket or on another team this year.

His time to prove himself is definitely running out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Its very relevent how the FO sees it.

Ok, his recent history has suggested hes not doing good. in both MLB and MiLB. The Sox and everyone else knew that they would only be acceptable defensively at the MLB level IF his offense remained in tact. It has gone south for the last 2 years. Those are facts.  So, being a below avaerage catcher and now having issues with his offense, it is not acceptable anymore. Pitchers arent comfortable pitching to him. Thats why Salty was used so much when Ross went down. Thats a BIG factor in this equation too. Im not saying he should never get a shot, just not this year. Maybe he will get a shot next year, but its probably not happening this year. I like him and I also believe the Sox still like him, but he hasnt earned anything. I still say they should give him time at 1b so hes more versitile. It can only help him and his chances.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/12/04/what-now-ryan-lavarnway-look-his-uncertain-red

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131209&content_id=64519076&notebook_id=64532886&vkey=notebook_bos&c_id=bos

[/QUOTE]

A telling line from the link you provided.  Ben says and improved defender and a good hitter.  He did not say that he was acceptable or even average defensively.  He is stating that Lava needs at least a year of seasoning in order to improve defense.

"Well, he's a good hitter and an improved defender," said general manager Ben Cherington."

Thanks for the two links, they basically paint the same picture that everyone here was.  Lava is a great guy with the bat, had a bad year at the plate.  He is not good enough defensively where he can even be average with the bat, he has to be above average with the bat to bring value.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

a first base move might be the way to go....although I think he eventually is thrown into a deal in July..I think he has potential and the Sox may regret moving him....but there is just no room.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think giving him the first basemans mitt is an attempt to showcase him with some kind of versatility.  I like Lavarnway and hope he proves his detractors wrong, but anyway you slice it I'm having a hard time seeing him on the 25.  He is either traded or in Pawtucket by opening day. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With all due respect...Those of you thinking he deserves a shot or has earned one, you are wrong. Have you not watched his defense or even know what to look for? Hes a bad defender and his bat has gone south the last 2 years. To earn or deserve a shot, my guess is that it would help if you are improving, not declining. This isnt LL where everyone gets a shot to play. They actually have to earn a shot in MLB. Lavarnway hasnt. He is now the DH in AAA. Maybe if his bat comes back and he learns another position like 1b, he will have a better chance.

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, that is YOUR opinion. Others see it differently, and how the FO sees it is not particularly relevant as that is THEIR opinon. This is not a matter of fact; its a matter of opinion. When I look at indicators of potential success I look to see if a player has a history of success, and Lavarnway has that at every level he has been given a chance to play regularly. You cannot judge him based on his ML performance to date because its impossible to get in a groove with the way he has been used. My friend Seabeachfred is a former baseball scout; he believes Lavarnway deserves a shot too and he knows more about the game than you or I do in terms of evaluating talent. In any event, I respect your OPINION about this; I just disagree. I think we are missing the boat.

[/QUOTE]

Its not only my opinion, but the opinion of the Sox since they have given him a 1b mit.

That, and they are certainly NOT going to add a catcher to the rest of the young guys they have starting this year. Especially one that has very suspect defense and whos bat hasnt translated to MLB yet. Having 2 young catchers, 1 whom will be ready for action this year if needed, is also a strike against him...

Hes slow behind the plate, does NOT block balls in the dirt good at all, and by all reports, pitchers werent comfortable with him. Thats why Salty played the bulk of the games when Ross was out. Even against LHP. That should tell everyone all they need to know on how the Sox feel about Lavarnway.

Id love for that bat (at least the bat he has had in MiLB) to be in the lineup. But theres no way hes earned or deserved a shot at C. Its not like giving someone a shot at 2b or OF. The catcher is the leader out there and has a lot more to worry about. Im happy to see them give him reps at 1b. unfortunately they should have done it a year or 2 ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

With Boom and Pumpsie on Lava, wish he could stick with Sox and get a chance, but he deserves a real shot in the majors somewhere.  When he gets it, I doubt he'll disappoint.  He's slow but good athletically, think he'll do well at first, can catch and dh, has a strong and accurate arm, and has a proven track record as a hitter.  Think he hit around .300 for the Sox last season while shuttling back and forth to Pawtucket, his track record in the minors is undeniable as a stick, and he even won defensive player of the year at AAA while catching! so he can't be a complete stiff at catcher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Boom and Pumpsie on Lava, wish he could stick with Sox and get a chance, but he deserves a real shot in the majors somewhere.  When he gets it, I doubt he'll disappoint.  He's slow but good athletically, think he'll do well at first, can catch and dh, has a strong and accurate arm, and has a proven track record as a hitter.  Think he hit around .300 for the Sox last season while shuttling back and forth to Pawtucket, his track record in the minors is undeniable as a stick, and he even won defensive player of the year at AAA while catching! so he can't be a complete stiff at catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Can you believe Lavarnway has the 9th highest seniority on the Sox 40 man roster?

Here's what soxprospects.com has to say about his defense...

. Rough overall catching skills. Limited range behind the dish and slow reactions. Tends to stab at offerings, and his catching hand drifts when framing pitches. Average blocking skills, he needs to improve how he controls balls bouncing out in front of him and the fluidity of his footwork. Has made ample strides with his catch-and-release mechanics since joining the organization. Hard worker dedicated to honing craft. Despite improvements, catching skills are still limited. Will need to increase defensive versatility.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Ever read Buster Posey's evaluation in the Minors. You should.http://www.bbprospectreport.com/tag/buster-posey

Sections
Shortcuts