Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day

Is he injured, getting a rest, or headed to Baltimore?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day

My guess is he's on his way up; like Doubront & Middlebrooks, he's a good looking young ballplayer, ala Ellsbury a few yrs ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And where would he play?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day:
    [QUOTE]And where would he play?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I assume it was in case Salty had to go on the DL after getting stitches in his ear, in which case he would have caught.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

who knows it could be a number of things, maybe a deal is close for a starter and lava is involved, who knows. (we could definitely use one)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]who knows it could be a number of things, maybe a deal is close for a starter and lava is involved, who knows. (we could definitely use one)
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I didn't think of that one; a trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Or, a Salty trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

[QUOTE]Or, a Salty trade.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    He's played well enough of late that we could get something for him, and I'd love to see Lavarnway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Once the trade idea was out of the bag, I thought of that as well. I would think Lavarnway would net more, however. Duh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Big mistake right now -- unless it's an irresistible honey for Boston

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Big mistake right now -- unless it's an irresistible honey for Boston

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2012          wRC+
    Salty           131
    Posey          129
    Santana      124
    Mauer         118
    Wieters       117
    McCann      114
    Napoli        107
    MMontero    94
    JMontero     89

Salty OPS by Month

M12    938
    A12    809

S11   542
    A11  749
    J11   893
    J11   945
    M11  756
    A11   547

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day": [QUOTE]who knows it could be a number of things, maybe a deal is close for a starter and lava is involved, who knows. (we could definitely use one) Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE] I assume when you say Sox need a starter you imply Bard to the pen? If the traded player is Salty, is the feeling on the bore that Salty returns a pitcher greater than DiceK or Cook? Or of the trade of Salty returns pitching where the Sox have to assume salary, would the return be better than Oswalt? If not, why not pay Oswalt and keep Salty?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day": I assume when you say Sox need a starter you imply Bard to the pen? If the traded player is Salty, is the feeling on the bore that Salty returns a pitcher greater than DiceK or Cook? Or of the trade of Salty returns pitching where the Sox have to assume salary, would the return be better than Oswalt? If not, why not pay Oswalt and keep Salty?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I think you may be overdoing it. The trade possibility is IMO the least likely of the scenarios. I don't think anyone wants Salty straight up for a viable SP, nor IMO would the RS trade Lavarnway, (especially after how the Montero deal turned out). Unless it's a Youkilis + a catcher trade (which doesn't preclude Shoppach)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I still don't understand why they don't trade Lavarnway in the OF.  Maybe have him catch a game or two during the week and then play the OF on the other days.  I know he's gotten off to a slow start this year but his power would be nice to have. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]I still don't understand why they don't trade Lavarnway in the OF.  Maybe have him catch a game or two during the week and then play the OF on the other days.  I know he's gotten off to a slow start this year but his power would be nice to have. 
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Because he's still learning how to catch at the professional level.  He's made great strides, but he's still got more to learn as a catcher.  Can't do that in the OF.  If he's the catcher of the future, he needs to play the position all the time, be it AAA or wherever.

Plus, this isn't Little League; you don't just move players all over the field. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Remember, the Sox "big three starters" are bunch of cry babying divas.  If you think they blame the umps for their failures too much then just wait until they have to "adjust" to throwing to a new catcher......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why would they trade Salty?  He's probably just a little hurt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day:
    [QUOTE]Is he injured, getting a rest, or headed to Baltimore?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Trading Salty two weeks ago was an easy call to make room for Lav.  Now hes hitting and his trade value is up so maybe it is the time if we feel Lav is ready defensively.  Lav certainly has a stronger and more accurate arm but I would still rather see a Salty/Lav combo behind the plate.

Unfortunately we only have certain trade chips we can take a chance on giving away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Salty/Shoppach is fine for this year; at this point why not let Lava develop his catching skills........

Perhaps next year Lava can earn the role as a starter; Salty would be a nice back up....Then you'd really have something

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty hits righties much better than lefties...so does Lava.

They'd be a nice combo, but they don't match up that well in terms of a platoon. One reason Salty is hitting better, is that BV is not using a personal caddy platoon, but rather a L/R one.

2012:
    v RHPs: 104 PAs  .299/.326/.598/.924 (90% of PAs)
    v LHPs:   12 PAs  .167/.167/.333/.500

2011:
    v RHPs: 263 PAs: .247/.304/.481/.786 (68% of PAs)
    v LHPs: 123 PAs: .209/.252/.383/.635

As you can see, Salty is facing lefties much much less this year.

Not having personal caddies has also allowed Salty to catch beckett and other pitchers, which helps in the long run in many ways.

Now, if next year Papi walks or sits vs most LHPs, then a Lava/Salty combo could work out well, as one could DH vs LHPs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisdowens5. Show chrisdowens5's posts

Wilson Ramos of the Nats went down and reports are the Nats have been out scouting teams with depth at the dish.  This could make Shoppach expendable or even Salty.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway's out of the lineup for the second straight day : 2012          wRC+ Salty           131 Posey          129 Santana      124 Mauer         118 Wieters       117 McCann      114 Napoli        107 MMontero    94 JMontero     89 Salty OPS by Month M12    938 A12    809 S11   542 A11  749 J11   893 J11   945 M11  756 A11   547
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

For a change, you cherry pick your stats; using RC+ for a platooning player with questionable defense is a good illustration.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Shoppach would bring very little, hardly worth the effort when he's a good platoon with Salty.  I think trading Salty would be absolutely nuts.  He's still young for a catcher, still developing, clearly has decent power (16 HR in 386 PAs last year, obviously on fire now) and....

....he's only 2 years and 3 months older than the "young" Lavarnway.  This Cult of Lavarnway is just silly IMO.  Yes, he may turn out to be good....maybe better than Salty, who knows?  But maybe not.  And Salty is delivering the goods in Teddy Ballgame's "Major F***ing Leagues", not AAA.

Sections
Shortcuts