Lee trade talk looking serious

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Lee trade talk looking serious

Those wd be my 4 untouchables too sp.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Sox will land Lee but not with Bogey or JBJ being dealt.  I think Cecchini, Barnes, Britton (or Workman) and Henry Ramos could be the package for Lee.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It's now reported that the Phillies asked Lee if he would waive his no-trade clause re the Red Sox if a deal could be worked out, and Lee has agreed to this. 

I wouldn't even trade Yaz and Evans right now for Lee...lol lol  ... Heck .. Can Pedro give us a couple starts... lol lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Sox will land Lee but not with Bogey or JBJ being dealt.  I think Cecchini, Barnes, Britton (or Workman) and Henry Ramos could be the package for Lee.  

Not really interested in sacrificing our future for Cliff Lee. What I would be willing to surrender for him would most certainly not get the deal done. I hope it falls through.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's has not been too shabby since 2008. Pretty consistent 200ip+ and around 3.20 era. Again injuries might force a trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I dont want Lee

Its all in the cost, isn't it? If the cost is reasonable (whatever that means to you) then sure, I would like Cliff Lee on my team.

Here is another consideration: its possible that we are not being told the entire truth about Breakholz. Its possible that his injury is much more serious than the Sox are letting on to the media so the price for a top notch pitcher doesn't get driven up for us. No, I have no evidence for this, but if the talks for Lee are really heating up then I would begin to suspect something more is amiss with Breakholz.

[/QUOTE]

Who's this guy?  The Sox have no one by that name on their team.

[/QUOTE]

He has trouble spelling "Buchholz".

His version is easier, I guess.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If BC gives up Bogey, I will have no trust in him anymore.

They better not move Bogey, Owens, JBJ or Cecchini....But I hear the Sox will NOT include Bogey, but will include multipole top 10 prospects...

Amen. Unless the Sox can get him at a discount, they should pass on Lee. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Not really interested in sacrificing our future for Cliff Lee. What I would be willing to surrender for him would most certainly not get the deal done. I hope it falls through.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Most prospects never develop into the stars that we project them to be. With that said lets be aggressive here and take a shot. Owens & Shiwhert or either of one of those two and Britton and Workman for Lee

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Cliff Lee would put the Red Sox over the top this year. If the price is right, of course you trade for him. He's had a bad month, so be it. I still trust him in a big game over anyone on the current roster.

Bogaerts and Bradley should be untouchable. I'd like to hold onto Owens, Ranaudo, and Workman too. The Red Sox have multiple prospects at a few different positions, so it may be okay to deal from excess for need.

I'd let the Phillies pick one of Middlebrooks/Cecchini, one of Lavarnway/Vazquez/Swihart, one of Brentz/Almanzar and one out of Webster/DelaRosa/Barnes. Michael Young would need to be included from Philadelphia's side. The Red Sox could cover the bulk of the salary difference.

In a separate deal, the Red Sox could then send Stephen Drew to the Cardinals for a righthanded relief pitcher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Most prospects never develop into the stars that we project them to be. With that said lets be aggressive here and take a shot. Owens & Shiwhert or either of one of those two and Britton and Workman for Lee

I think Owens could be our #1 pitching prospect after this season.  I would treat him just like Bogey and JBJ.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

If you can protect your top 5ish prospects, deal 3 of your next 20 prospects, and get Philly to cover at least 1/3 of the money(or at least the 12.5m buyout), then how can you not pull the trigger. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

With the huge salary dump on the Dodgers last year, the Red Sox have money to spend. If they're willing to absorb most or all of Lee's remaining contract, maybe they can obtain him for secondary prospects who wouldn't really be missed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think Owens could be our #1 pitching prospect after this season.  I would treat him just like Bogey and JBJ.  

[/QUOTE]

I also like Owens, but we do have some depth here with RDLR, Webster, Raunado & Barnes. Sometimes you hachance give up someone you would like to keep to make the BOLD move

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Phillies have no desire for a third base prospect unless it's a guy lower in the system.  Of course they would take a guy like Cecchini but he's going to have less value to philly as other teams.  If a trade is made without Xander it will involve 3 prospects in our top 10 which I would figure to be pitchers.  RDLR/WORKMAN/BARNES, Interchange Owens with one of those guys and throw in a lottery pick like Manuel Margot.  That's what it will take. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

That's too much young pitching to trade, ctred.

The notion floated here by others that Cliff Lee wouldn't help is asinine, but the team shouldn't radically sacrifice its future for a greater possibility of current success.

That being said, I'm more inclined to trade decent prospects and one top prospect for Lee than I would be for Peavy. Peavy isn't necessarily any better than the current organizational depth. He's never been particularly outstanding. Same with Norris. At least with Lee, you can be confident you're acquiring a legitimate No. 1 pitcher.

If the Red Sox are going to make a move that costs the team some of its prospects, it better be for a Cliff Lee and not a second-tier player. Even then, as I mentioned before, the team shouldn't overextend itself in prospects (or quality of prospects) to land him. Dangle cash instead.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

That's too much young pitching to trade, ctred. The notion floated here by others that Cliff Lee wouldn't help is asinine, but the team shouldn't sacrifice its future for a greater possibility of current success. I'm more inclined to trade decent prospects and one top prospect for Lee than I would be for Peavy. Peavy isn't necessarily any better than the current organizational depth. He's never been particularly outstanding. Same with Norris. At least with Lee, you can be confident you're acquiring a legitimate No. 1 pitcher.

If the Red Sox are going to make a move that costs the team some of its prospects, it better be for a Cliff Lee and not a second-tier player.

I agree.....but that's the package or kind of package it will take.  If we want to have a serious talk on the Sox trading for Cliff Lee then we have to discuss what kind of trade would actually bring him in here and NOT what we would like it to take (as many here do)

I personally don't think that the kind of package it would take to land Cliff Lee is a kind of one we should offer...but that's still what it would take. Otherwise Lee is staying in Philly. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The Phillies have no desire for a third base prospect unless it's a guy lower in the system.  Of course they would take a guy like Cecchini but he's going to have less value to philly as other teams.  If a trade is made without Xander it will involve 3 prospects in our top 10 which I would figure to be pitchers.  RDLR/WORKMAN/BARNES, Interchange Owens with one of those guys and throw in a lottery pick like Manuel Margot.  That's what it will take. 

I know you know this, but Bogaerts is a SS, not a third base prospect. Not sure how the Phillies are set at SS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know you know this, but Bogaerts is a SS, not a third base prospect. Not sure how the Phillies are set at SS.

I'm not that sure about their depth at SS but for a guy like Xander I would assume the general rules don't apply.  He is such a valuable prospect he automatically assumes the top position on the depth chart.  If Philly has a SS as their #2 ranked prospect they would just flip him for something else.  

But yes my original point was players like Will Middlebrooks and Garin Cecchini won't go as far as we think of creating the kind of value that needs to be built to trigger a trade. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Sounds like the Phils are asking for Bogaerts, Bradley and Workman for starters; they may want another lower level pitching prospect as well.  That and the Sox take on all of Lee's contract.

Not worth it.

If Phils would consider my counter offer of Marerro, Workman, De La Rosa, and Brentz, while kicking in 10-15 million, I'd do that.  But the Sox would be doing the Phils a favor taking on that contract, similar to the Dodgers last season, IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

To me it sounds like a salary dump, just be patient. Look at Teams that can afford taking it on, and they will be our competiton.

The question we have to ask is... Can we win with this rotation right now? Lackey hasn't pitched i 2 years, Doubront, hasn't hit 180 innings yet in Majors, Workman still an unknown in the Majors. Buchholz who knows. Next 30 days could be the difference in a great hard fought season.

This is why Ben gets the big bucks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If we are to take Lee's contract off the Phils ' books , we should not have to give them too much in terms of prospects. Just like with the Dodgers last year. We unloaded payroll to them and they gave us four players they felt were expendable. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Workman is not actually even one of the top 10 pitching prospects in the system, according to SoxProspects.com.  Be that as it may, taking three or four of your top pitching prospects for a 34-year old pitcher who is getting paid the most of any starter in the majors would be ludicrous froom a baseball business standpoint, IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Only interested in Lee as a salary dump plus some B / Rule 5 prospects. With all the pieces that have already come off the trading table, I'm ready to see how the season plays out with the team at hand.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Cliff Lee would put the Red Sox over the top this year. If the price is right, of course you trade for him. He's had a bad month, so be it. I still trust him in a big game over anyone on the current roster.

Bogaerts and Bradley should be untouchable. I'd like to hold onto Owens, Ranaudo, and Workman too. The Red Sox have multiple prospects at a few different positions, so it may be okay to deal from excess for need.

I'd let the Phillies pick one of Middlebrooks/Cecchini, one of Lavarnway/Vazquez/Swihart, one of Brentz/Almanzar and one out of Webster/DelaRosa/Barnes. Michael Young would need to be included from Philadelphia's side. The Red Sox could cover the bulk of the salary difference.

In a separate deal, the Red Sox could then send Stephen Drew to the Cardinals for a righthanded relief pitcher.

Id rather have Drew than Young. I dont even care to have young regardless of Drew.

My untouchables include Bogey, JBJ, Cecchini, Owens...2 pitchers an 1 position player to go to Philly besides these 4. Thats IF BC decides to do it.

Me, I wouldnt trade for Lee at all for the price they are asking...

Sections
Shortcuts