Lefty righty question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Lefty righty question

And what pct. of pitchers are right-handed?
    Where are the RedSox in the standings?
    Yeah. That Theo sure is inept...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Lefty righty question:
    [QUOTE]As you said, their drafting philosphy precludes power.  I can almost agree with that.  A better way might be to say it does not emphasize power, as they have drafted a lot of power hitters, they just didn't all work out.  Lars Anderson being a recent question mark.  In fact, how many people remember that the Sox drafted both Matt LaPorta and Brandon Belt before Anderson?  They aslso drafted Steven Pearce at one point.  Even drafting up the middle athletes has had notable failures.  Jason Place for example.  But we've also seen how easily they get repostioned.  David Murphy is a prime example as he rarely plays CF anymore. As you said, the talent can be dealt for power.  It does leave a notable hole in the farm system, but the Sox do seem to eb able to fill it at the top level. And who doesn't like the 3 stooges? 
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    trod & Notin,

Not that I want to get in the middle of you two guys back and forth, but if not for Westmorelands unfortunate illness he's probably playing left this year and Crawford's likely playing for the Angel's and the lefty leaning argument would be moot...Let's not underestimate the cause and effect of his setback has had on the overall system too include the big league roster. The kid was projected to be ready this year and was a legit 300-30-100 middle of the order talant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Westmorleland hits left handed , too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Westmorleland hits left handed , too.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

And is only 21. There is no way he would have been up this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Westmorleland hits left handed , too.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I knew that, my inference was that they probably would have added a righthanded bat with the resources they spent on Crawford. I probably should have noted that in my above post. My appologies and thanks for setting me straight...

The gist of what I am saying is that the Sox draft selections are done to addrerss the big picture and all are done with a 3 to 5 year window. FA aquisitions and trades are done to address the needs of now with an eye on the future ...When the systems fall short of producing major league ready players the Sox use the FA market to fill that need...Crawford replaced Westmoreland & Gonzalez replaced Anderson. One due to injury, the other due to falling short of expectations...

While the team's OF this year with the signing of Crawford along with Ells and Drew is lefty leaning and lacks a true power hitter. That can be easily fixed this offseason by simply signing or trading for a RH bat to replace the departing Drew. Also with Youk, Gonzalez and Ortiz representing the middle of our order we don't nessasarily need a power bat in right or left...If they chose not to resign Papi finding another power bat becomes a bigger priority....it's about the construction of the roster with an eye on having a deep and balanced lineup. in 2012 sans Papi we will need to replace him woth a comprable bat in the 5-hole...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lefty righty question : I knew that, my inference was that they probably would have added a righthanded bat with the resources they spent on Crawford. I probably should have noted that in my above post. My appologies and thanks for setting me straight... The gist of what I am saying is that the Sox draft selections are done to addrerss the big picture and all are done with a 3 to 5 year window. FA aquisitions and trades are done to address the needs of now with an eye on the future ...When the systems fall short of producing major league ready players the Sox use the FA market to fill that need...Crawford replaced Westmoreland & Gonzalez replaced Anderson. One due to injury, the other due to falling short of expectations... While the team's OF this year with the signing of Crawford along with Ells and Drew is lefty leaning and lacks a true power hitter. That can be easily fixed this offseason by simply signing or trading for a RH bat to replace the departing Drew. Also with Youk, Gonzalez and Ortiz representing the middle of our order we don't nessasarily need a power bat in right or left...If they chose not to resign Papi finding another power bat becomes a bigger priority....it's about the construction of the roster with an eye on having a deep and balanced lineup. in 2012 sans Papi we will need to replace him woth a comprable bat in the 5-hole...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I disagree on that. I don't think the Red Sox - as much as they liked the kid - were ready to pin their LF hopes on a player who had one season in low A ball.  And then to imply that Plan A was kid in low A ball, Plan B was the largest OF contract in MLB history?  That's quite a jump.

As usual, mot of the hop for the frm players is with the fans.  Just as we all crowned Lars Anderson the eventual 1B, we also did it with Westmoreland, Rizzo, Kalish, and now Reddick.  And a few others along tie way.  The flavor of tomorrow is Will Middlebroks, until he doesn't turn out as planned.  Then? Matt Barnes? Jackie Bradley Jr.? Miles Head? The list will go on, just as it did from Dernell Stenson and Steve Lomasney before...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I agree on the latest hype, but I do like Reddick, did even back in '09.
    He reminds me of a skill-set looking for a challenge.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Ells can hit anyone pretty well v. LHP  BA .255 OBP .328  SLG .377 Define "pretty well". With sample size of about 14 PA, only Reddick has good numbers v. LHP. The rest of the OF does not. The point of all this is to pretend that Crawford at 20M and Ellsbury at 12 to 14M over the next 2 years is the way to construct the OF, with Reddick and Kalish being used to replace Drew and carry forward with the status quo. The misconception is aggregate runs means an offense is the most efficient. The Red Sox aren't going to get an impact player pitcher without truly emptying out the farm. Short and long term, they get better by dealing some of this Crawbustberry and moving up Reddick/Kalish. Since Crawford is Theo's daddy, that just leaves the other lefty who is getting ready to cost 12 to 14M to do the same thing Crawford is supposed to be doing. Dealing Nomar is one of Theo's few examples of how to trade a prima donna to make the team more balanced and better.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Just so we're clear because it can be confusing. Sometimes (when it suits your argument) career stats are key -- you used to use it all the time about Ellsbury's OBP -- and sometimes they're not and the season stats are more important.

For the record, Ellsbury's career BA against righties is .296 and his career BA against lefties is .296. (and there's just a 40-point difference in OPS).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Ells can hit anyone pretty well v. LHP  BA .255 OBP .328  SLG .377 Define "pretty well". With sample size of about 14 PA, only Reddick has good numbers v. LHP. The rest of the OF does not. The point of all this is to pretend that Crawford at 20M and Ellsbury at 12 to 14M over the next 2 years is the way to construct the OF, with Reddick and Kalish being used to replace Drew and carry forward with the status quo. The misconception is aggregate runs means an offense is the most efficient. The Red Sox aren't going to get an impact player pitcher without truly emptying out the farm. Short and long term, they get better by dealing some of this Crawbustberry and moving up Reddick/Kalish. Since Crawford is Theo's daddy, that just leaves the other lefty who is getting ready to cost 12 to 14M to do the same thing Crawford is supposed to be doing. Dealing Nomar is one of Theo's few examples of how to trade a prima donna to make the team more balanced and better.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Yaz vs. lefties: .244 BA  .321 OBP  .371 SLG  .692 OPS   career
    Jake vs. lefties:  .255 BA  .328 OBP  .377 SLG  .705 OPS  106 AB

Ells career - he is a much better hitter vs. southpaws than HOF Yaz was.
    Since youalways say players will revert back to career norms, there's every indication his numbers vs. lefties will improve.

The point of all this is your disdain for Jake - and your fear of being dead wrong about him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lefty righty question : Hey Moon, Sorry but I have to agree to disagree with your opening stament from above "This team has serious issues vs lefthanded starters". The facts don't support that statement, or as the oldage goes, your as good and your record say's you are...According to MLB splits as of this morning the Sox this year are 21-11 vs lefthanded starters which is a .656 winning pct or on pace to win 105 games over 162 game schedule (if we only faced lefties). We're 33-24 vs righties or a paltry .589 winning pct using the same math would give us 90 win and we'd be in a dog fight for the wildcard. Pitching, defense and timely hitting are the keys, not individual's splits...Our offense is among the best and so too is our ability to catch the ball. Again I get that we have a need add a righthanded bat to replace Cameron and trust me so too does Theo and I am confident he'll add one before the deadline...Sometimes the math (stats) can be misleading. Lefty/righty splits aside, sometimes you have to take the lessor of two evils. Especially in the the AL East. Where you got CY caliber lefties in CC & Price who are tough on all hitters and entering this year Pedrioa was something in the neighborhood of 1 for 30 against both and he hits from the right side of the plate. I belive we're 4-0 vs CC this year. My guess is that every team or a majority of teams struggle to put the ball in play vs the elite group of both lefties and righties. Not to mention the casue and effect that facing a tough lefty specilist has on a particular guys overall numbers...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion, and we have done better vs LHPs than I expected so far (esp. Papi), but...

1) Small sample size.
    2) If you look closer; many of our wins vs LH'd starters came after they left the game and we crushed the pen.
    3) We have some pitiful players vs LHPs with no real help off the bench with Lowrie out and VTek not playing a lefty-righty platoon, but rather a pitcher caddy platoon.
    4) Compare the player we have doing poorly vs RHPs, and there are much better options to platoon/PH for them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before this season started, Jacoby was almost identical vs RHPs as he was vs LHPs. The disparity has grown this year, but his BA and OBP are still nearly identical over his career:
    vs RHPs: .296/.351
    vs LHPs: .296/.352
    Since OBP is the most important thing about leading off, I'd say Jacoby is doing fine maintaining the balance in lefty-righty splits. 
    His career Slugging % is where the disparity is greatest:
    vs RHPs: .435
    vs LHPs: .390
    While Jacoby's career OPS vs LHPs (.741) is not great, it is certainly better than CC & Drew's recently.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]My apologies, Jim for the "duh!" The real power on this team is from the left side of the plate. Nobody has replaced Beltre, Lowell, Manny, or Bay's production in a Sox uniform and their power from right side. All of those players were 30-100 players at points in their careers. Not a single Sox righty on this roster can say that . Zilla gets what I'm saying. The Giants had Posey, Burrell, Uribe, Rentaria Sanchez and Ross to balance Huff, and Sandoval was a switch hitter.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

This should be a cut and dry decision for Theo.  Drew and McD have done nothing offensively and its obvious by his decision to keep swapping RF's he doesn't believe Reddick is an every day answer.

We need a RH like Hunter Pence with power "preferably" if we are to to up our good young prospects.  At the very least someone who can play every day against all pitching so we can stop playing musical chairs in RF.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A good platoon is fine, if both produce vs their splits they are good at. The problem is, neither has of yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]A good platoon is fine, if both produce vs their splits they are good at. The problem is, neither has of yet.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moonslav, We have been doing this for a long time in RF, so its definately something Theo believes in.  I'm not a fan of starters who can't hold their own against all pitching. 

RHH - Dwight Evans is the last guy I can remember who pretty much held his own in RF.  260 against righties and 300 with lefties throughout his career in Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, Drew has struggled vs LHPs on and off since he came here. I really had hoped that Cam would continue his great numbers vs LHPs this year, but it wasn't to be. DMac had very decent numbers vs RHPs last season, so I don't blame Theo for what happened this year.

My concern for Drew is minimal since he will be gone after this season. My biggest concern is Crawford vs LHPs over the next 6 1/2 years. His career OPS vs LHPs is sub .700. 

Salty struggles vs LHPs, but has time to improve.

Pedey had 2 bad years, but seems to have righted the ship vs LHPs this year.

Papi has been a great surprise vs LHPs thgis year. I hope he can keep it up over the second half.

AGon has had some down seasons vs LHPs, but this seems to be a charmed year for him.

The Sox have faced more LH'd starters than any other team this year. I'm glad we have done well, but I still think we are much stronger offensively vs RHPs than left. 

Sections
Shortcuts