Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford

The Leominster police officer reportedly had used racial slurs in the past:

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/07/25/leominster-police-officer-faces-hearing-allegations-directed-racial-epithet-red-sox-player-carl-crawford/qwX6IV2PKe7MAic21OCUwN/story.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford

In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford : You don't think he said he was wrong just to save his job?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew, yes, that is possible.  But as only one person in the world knows the truth - and that person has admitted his guilt - surely it's time to accept that and move on?

Isn't that why many principled people refuse to plea bargain i.e. they refuse to accept responsibility for something they didn't do?  That doesn't prove his guilt - if I were single and innocent I would accept the loss of my job to fight for my name, but if I had children to feed I might swallow my pride - but at what point does an outsider (you in this case) have to accept an admission of guilt at face value rather than fight on when you do not know the guy's intent?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford : Andrew, yes, that is possible.  But as only one person in the world knows the truth - and that person has admitted his guilt - surely it's time to accept that and move on? Isn't that why many principled people refuse to plea bargain i.e. they refuse to accept responsibility for something they didn't do?  That doesn't prove his guilt - if I were single and innocent I would accept the loss of my job to fight for my name, but if I had children to feed I might swallow my pride - but at what point does an outsider (you in this case) have to accept an admission of guilt at face value rather than fight on when you do not know the guy's intent?
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

and exactly what is he guilty of?  Calling a player at a game a Tuesday?  And even if that is a so called "racial slur" so what?  That's a crime now?  Until the INJURED PARTY can bring forth and PROVE a claim that DAMAGES were done to HIM then there is no crime. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! We've reached the point of political correctness, that a man can lose his job for saying "Monday".
    It's a day of the week! What is this country coming to?
    Let's play the race card when we can't make any more excuses.
    Pathetic!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Wow! We've reached the point of political correctness, that a man can lose his job for saying "Monday". It's a day of the week! What is this country coming to? Let's play the race card when we can't make any more excuses. Pathetic!
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

In order for a crime to have occured, Crawford would have to bring his claim to a jury and prove that he was somehow injured - monetarily....No Injured Party = No Crime.  And it's up to Crawford to bring the suit, not the municipality........

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

And "Monday" is a racial slur in your world? Wow!
    It's a day of the week in mine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Wow! We've reached the point of political correctness, that a man can lose his job for saying "Monday". It's a day of the week! What is this country coming to? Let's play the race card when we can't make any more excuses. Pathetic!
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]
    Wrong:

As I wrote in an earlier post to this thread:

First: 1/14/2006
    Last: 7/25/2012
    I have never heard the word Monday used as or even refered to as a racial slur where I live. It must be a regional thing, like Soda, tonic and Pop all are the same thing in different parts of the country or Hero, Sub and Grinder. Anyway the Cop should be fired if he said a racial slur.
    Posted by tcal2-

If a police officer in that situation had no prior misconduct, he should be ordered to undergo sensitivity training, in part because of my naive hope that he would change but primarily because that training might represent pure punishment in his mind.

If the officer has prior misconduct he should be looking at a suspension or worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And just for the record, it is not a crime not to be nice.  If that were the case Pike would be serving about 100 lifetime sentences  -  1 for each alias

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford : Wrong: As I wrote in an earlier post to this thread: hill55 Posts: 6270 First: 1/14/2006 Last: 7/25/2012 b634e9e76cf4c7e54120e863762ba35a In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford : I have never heard the word Monday used as or even refered to as a racial slur where I live. It must be a regional thing, like Soda, tonic and Pop all are the same thing in different parts of the country or Hero, Sub and Grinder. Anyway the Cop should be fired if he said a racial slur. Posted by tcal2- If a police officer in that situation had no prior misconduct, he should be ordered to undergo sensitivity training, in part because of my naive hope that he would change but primarily because that training might represent pure punishment in his mind. If the officer has prior misconduct he should be looking at a suspension or worse.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Again, did Carl Crawford prove to a jury of the officer's peers that he was Injured by the actions the officer took?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Mamas and the Papas would be turning in their graves.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, some people want to impose their will (regarding what they think is acceptable) on everyone else.  Makes them feel good about themselves to think they can have power over others.  They think that is what "democracy" is all about.  But what this country was to be about was SELF-governance not democracy (ie not ruling over others via vote/majority rule).  Just sad little people who think what that man did to poor ol Carl deserves this kind of punishment......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's time to move on...it really is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No, it's an important issue.

Arresting someone when there is no injured party is serious matter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The fact that CC got upset is the problem. To let anyone get under his skin with an obscure comedian's bit about using "Monday,", you know a day of the week, a common every day word that pre-school kids learn, and then cry about it. It shows just how very weak CC is as a person. He was not called the N word, and that's the bottom line. The American Nazis were allowed to march on Skokie, a Jewish neighborhood. It was an alltime injustice, but the law was the law and they were allowed to march. That was an insult to the 6 million Jews who died in WWII camps. This was a word that a fan used to get under CC's skin. I referred to calling someone "Urkle" because a black kid with glasses looked like a geek, or something that ABC made a killing off of back in the day. You are supposed to laugh. How come CC didn't laugh it off, and say "ha, ha, ah smart guy with the Monday reference, huh? I got it buddy, I got it."...No, he cried racism!!! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me...but they sure seem to harm CC. And apparently batting 7th. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]No, it's an important issue. Arresting someone when there is no injured party is serious matter.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Was someone arrrested?

Was anyone charged with a crime?

Are we discussing the same reported incident?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]The fact that CC got upset is the problem. To let anyone get under his skin with an obscure comedian's bit about using "Monday,", you know a day of the week, a common every day word that pre-school kids learn, and then cry about it. It shows just how very weak CC is as a person. He was not called the N word, and that's the bottom line. The American Nazis were allowed to march on Skokie, a Jewish neighborhood. It was an alltime injustice, but the law was the law and they were allowed to march. That was an insult to the 6 million Jews who died in WWII camps. This was a word that a fan used to get under CC's skin. I referred to calling someone "Urkle" because a black kid with glasses looked like a geek, or something that ABC made a killing off of back in the day. You are supposed to laugh. How come CC didn't laugh it off, and say "ha, ha, ah smart guy with the Monday reference, huh? I got it buddy, I got it."...No, he cried racism!!! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me...but they sure seem to harm CC. And apparently batting 7th. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

You don't have a right not to be insulted........You do have a right to be protected from injury.  Whatever that man called Carl - the only way it goes to court is if Carl can prove that it cause him an injury.  Ortherwise, no crime in commited......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

what did you think of the response that I think CC should have laughed it off. Wasn't it supposed to be funny in the comedian's bit?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leominster mayor: Police officer uttered racial epithet at Red Sox player Carl Crawford : Was someone arrrested? Was anyone charged with a crime? Are we discussing the same reported incident?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Alright, what happened exactly?  The guy was just slapped on the hand for being rude?

Maybe so.....but it's a larger issue and in some cities you could get arrested for calling some a gay or racial name etc.........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]what did you think of the response that I think CC should have laughed it off. Wasn't it supposed to be funny in the comedian's bit?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't know.  It's a personal matter.  I can't tell someone how to feel.  But again, unless he can prove that was injured (physically or in the wallet) then he has no legal recourse......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

the guy is on paid leave...that is not a slap on the wrist. He's not being allowed to do the job that the City is paying him for.

Sections
Shortcuts