Lessons from Game 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Lessons from Game 2

1. Wacha is good, but with patience can be hit
    2. Cards BP is good too.  Better get the lead before getting into their BP.
    3. Lackey is good.  Taz is good.  Workman is good.  Koji is exceptional.
    4. Starting pitchers shouldn't pitch beyond 6th inning even if PC is low.  Cold weather robs a bit from them unlike in August and September where they can pitch deep.  Besides there are reasonable arms in BP.
    5. All pitchers need to execute the plan.  No room to miss the pitch or location in a WS.
    6. Once Sox take lead after 6th, emphasis should be all defense - Nava over Gomes, Drew has to be at SS, Papi should not be manning 1st, and focus, no errors, including from pitchers.  May be even Ross over Salty.
    7. Cards are a good team, this is not going to be easy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Re: Lessons from Game 2

Additionally, I think Sox will take 1, or even 2 games in St Louis.  Still a good chance for a win in 6.

This is going to playout a lot like the Tigers series.

Breslow will bounce back.

Hopefully Doubront and Dempster will contribute well.

Peavy won't throw a turd like in Detroit.  Instead he will pitch like in Tampa.

Go Sox !

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to blingblang's comment:

4. Starting pitchers shouldn't pitch beyond 6th inning even if PC is low.  Cold weather robs a bit from them unlike in August and September where they can pitch deep.  Besides there are reasonable arms in BP.
    5. All pitchers need to execute the plan.  No room to miss the pitch of location in a WS.
    6. Once Sox take lead after 6th, emphasis should be all defense - Nava over Gomes, Drew has to be at SS, Papi should not be manning 1st, and focus, no errors, including from pitchers.  May be even Ross over Salty.

Excellent analysis & perception !!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Wacha was awesome last night.  Unlike Wainwright who needed 52 pitches to record his fourth out in game one.   LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I'd like to see a replay of the entire play; as it was unfolding, I didn't think Gomes had a prayer of getting the runner at the plate, and that the throw should have been cut-off; in this case, by Napoli.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I'd like to see a replay of the entire play; as it was unfolding, I didn't think Gomes had a prayer of getting the runner at the plate, and that the throw should have been cut-off; in this case, by Napoli.

A good throw would have had him for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I don't agree.

A throw that's on the money gets Kozma easy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I agree with you that Cardinals is a good team.  First time seeing their bullpen pitchings, they are one of the best I have ever seen.   I am sure that half of them would try to become a starting pitcher in the future.  Also in someway, if I am the manager of the Cardinals, I would tell them no cuz they are a perfect bullpen pitcher to keep.  

Starting pitchings for the Cardinals isnt as good or deep as the Tigers.  So I am sure Boston should able to handle game 3 and game 4 starting pitchers unless Cardinals may change that if they lose game 3 to Boston such as to put Wainwright in game 4 on a short days rest.  

Farrell have decision to make at 3b, LF, 1b and C.   With the bottom of the line up are not hitting that well for the whole post season, and it may not be much difference if you put Middlebrook, Ross and Nava in the line up which they are a whole alot better defender than Bogaerts, Salty and Gomes.  Also Farrell need to tell pitchers to stop walking batters in late innings.   

With no DH, the game become less offense for Boston which that is why Farrell need to play more of pitching and defense and small ball.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

A good throw gets him at the plate for sure. Having said that, obviously Breslow should have just held onto the ball. The Sox coughed it up. It won't happen again by either team I don't think. I would like to think Sox have the advantage with their pitchers in games 3 and 4 even though we lose the DH. GO SOX

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They were tied 1-1 VS. Detroit and came back to win it in six ,keeping prince Fielder in check and  beating Scherzer and Verlander along the way.

The Sox pretty much beat themselves in game 2.

I don't see that happening again.

Peavy has something to prove, he is rested and will deliver his best game ever.

Red Sox offense wakes up against STL #3 starter and never looks back.

It won't be easy, but I don't see this team stumbling now....they have come too far together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

They were tied 1-1 VS. Detroit and came back to win it in six ,keeping prince Fielder in check and  beating Scherzer and Verlander along the way.

It won't be easy, but I don't see this team stumbling now....they have come too far together.

thats the spirit Zill.

I have the same feeling about Peavey.  Jake may not be the stud he once was, but he is a fierce competitor and he won't let his club down again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Dont let it happen in Game 7.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Thought the same thing too, Gomes didn't position himself well. He threw acorss his body, cost time and the ball to move. Isn't Bogaerts the cut-off man, because of man on 1st? Anyway wont happen again, WS things happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Dont let it happen in Game 7.

Or, what?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Wacha was very good, but not Koufax.   

Cannot watch the first 2 pitches when you know they are going to be fastballs go by without swinging and be behind quickly with no room for error like they did with both relievers.    That is what makes Ortiz so good late in games.    

Choke up and shorten the swing, just put the ball in play and sometimes they find openings.   The ball is coming in fast, it will go the other way faster.

Those that are struggling ie: Victorino, stop swinging for the fences every time.

Run hard to first (Drew), you should have beaten that ball out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

5. All pitchers need to execute the plan.  No room to miss the pitch of location in a WS.

Only thing I'd dispute is the starting pitchers never going beyond 6. Lester was fine through 7.2 and no doubt could have gone 8 if needed.

Other than that, spot on. I'd add the Ross and Nava need to be starting ahead of Salty and Gomes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

thats the spirit Zill.

I have the same feeling about Peavey.  Jake may not be the stud he once was, but he is a fierce competitor and he won't let his club down again.

The sox did beat themselves last night.  It happens.  The cards stunk in the first game.  I think the sox will put last night's game behind them and play much better in game 3.

The sox in 6

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Eddymon's comment:

Wacha was very good, but not Koufax.   

Cannot watch the first 2 pitches when you know they are going to be fastballs go by without swinging and be behind quickly with no room for error like they did with both relievers.    That is what makes Ortiz so good late in games.    

Choke up and shorten the swing, just put the ball in play and sometimes they find openings.   The ball is coming in fast, it will go the other way faster.

Those that are struggling ie: Victorino, stop swinging for the fences every time.

Run hard to first (Drew), you should have beaten that ball out.

LOL, my dad complained about the same thing over 40 years ago!  I guess players just can't help themselves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

5. All pitchers need to execute the plan.  No room to miss the pitch or location in a WS.

"Salty" is god awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts