Lester & Vaseline?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Lester & Vaseline?

The cardinals would have been better off if Lester HAD some vaseline in his glove.  As it was, his grip on cutter was obviously comfortable.  If he was going to vaseline in 40 degree weather, it would have actually hurt his performance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Jayson Stark @jaysonst    Aaron Boone on Lester on Sportscenter: "This is not scuffing the ball....This is commonplace." All pitchers use pine tar to get better grip. 9 minutes ago  Reply    Retweet         Favorite  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Cardinals Fans react to last night's performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ictqqh6_JE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to crix's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cardinals Fans react to last night's performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ictqqh6_JE

[/QUOTE]

Hahahaa.  Seriously, this is less a reflection on Cards fans, and actually more representative of this board whether the Sox win or lose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to clouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am in no way saying he doctored the ball.  It seemed newsworthy, but I shoulda' known not to dare question anything.  Enjoy folks....

[/QUOTE]

My apologies if my reply felt like my response was aimed at you personally.  It wasn't. 

One of my "hot buttons" is seeing someone being accused of something without evidence.  When that happens I tend to defend the person being accused until some proof is provided.

This was a legitimate topic for this forum.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Embarassed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham  

Cardinals work fast. Lester accuser has deleted the original tweet.

[/QUOTE]

maybe that is because Cardinals have history of doctoring the ball alot in the past too

http://www.stlcardinalbaseball.com/are-cardinal-pitchers-cheating

J

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

Anyone see the pictures/video of Lester going to his glove last night?  There is clearly a discoloration and he rubs his two fingers across it before gripping the ball.  Honestly, it looks like Vaseline in texture and color.

It seems too obvious where it is for it to be true, but man...it looks bad...

[/QUOTE]

I think you are the one playing with vaseline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the only thing about last night's game that perhaps wasn't cool was when Vic tried to gun out Freese on a 2-out single up by 7......that was a little bit of a bully-move and didn't sit well with me....

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree.  Vic should have taken it easy on dose poor widdle cardinals.  he should have let fweese have a widdle success threr so he could feew better about his poor little self.  In fact, Farrell should have spotted them a couple runs so they wouldn't cry.

[/QUOTE]

We shouldn't have scored so many runs.  We already had enough to win at 5...we were just running up the score on them.  That is wrong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]Jayson Stark @jaysonst    Aaron Boone on Lester on Sportscenter: "This is not scuffing the ball....This is commonplace." All pitchers use pine tar to get better grip. 9 minutes ago  Reply    Retweet         Favorite  [/QUOTE]

They basically said the same thing on MLB radio on XM this morning.  Mike Stanton was actually laughing at the accusations. While admitting that technically it is against the rules he said most pitchers use pine tar to get a better grip and it does not affect the ball.  St. Louis can't complain because then they wouldn't be able to do it either because the Sox will have every pitcher's glove checked.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Anyone see the pictures/video of Lester going to his glove last night?  There is clearly a discoloration and he rubs his two fingers across it before gripping the ball.  Honestly, it looks like Vaseline in texture and color.

[/QUOTE]

When i went for my check up,My Doctor used vaseline. He rubs his finger across it before gripping me.It was obvious where it was going, but man...it felt bad ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

the only thing about last night's game that perhaps wasn't cool was when Vic tried to gun out Freese on a 2-out single up by 7......that was a little bit of a bully-move and didn't sit well with me....

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree.  Vic should have taken it easy on dose poor widdle cardinals.  he should have let fweese have a widdle success threr so he could feew better about his poor little self.  In fact, Farrell should have spotted them a couple runs so they wouldn't cry.

[/QUOTE]

We shouldn't have scored so many runs.  We already had enough to win at 5...we were just running up the score on them.  That is wrong. 

[/QUOTE]

They were up by 7.  Why do you think Farrell let Dempster pitch?  2 men out, no one one.  At home.  Trying to make a play that had a SLIM chance of being successful. Is it wrong of Vic to try?  No.  But understand the context and understand the ramifications:  Why tick off a team and wake them up based on an action that would had about a 2% chance of netting any tangible success? 

Try and see the bigger picture.  This wasn't not trying to score on a Sac Fly up by 20 runs.  This wasn't not trying to break up a double play.  This isn't about trying to strike out the side.  Trying to gun someone out on a single is completely different.  If Freese was lolly gagging down the line, I say do it.  But he wasn't.  I just don't know why you would want to try and kick your opponent when he's already down.  It is a kind of a bully move in my opinion and could come back to bite you. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When i went for my check up,My Doctor used vaseline. He rubs his finger across it before gripping me.It was obvious where it was going, but man...it felt bad ...

[/QUOTE]

Damn.  I saw Doctor Jelly Finger once.  Once.  I fired him.  Never going back!!!!!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you have an opportunity to make an out you take it.  thats not kicking your opponent unless maybe you're playing t-ball.  No one else (including the cardinals) seemed to be offended.  There is no clock, this is the World Series and outs are a precious commodity

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You're basing your argument as if that is some kind of unwritten rule that I guess only you know about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

If you have an opportunity to make an out you take it.  thats not kicking your opponent unless maybe you're playing t-ball.  No one else (including the cardinals) seemed to be offended.  There is no clock, this is the World Series and outs are a precious commodity

[/QUOTE]

I can only assume that you've never played at level past Little League.  Experience has told me that when you do unnecessary things such as this, you give your opponent extra incentive to beat your butt.......Again, what Vic did was very unique.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can only assume that you've never played at level past Little League.  Experience has told me that when you do unnecessary things such as this, you give your opponent extra incentive to beat your butt.......Again, what Vic did was very unique.......

[/QUOTE]

Lol I was thinking the same thing about you.  But I try to refrain fron such mud slinging As I believe facts trump statements.  I challenge you to find one cardinal or one sports writer or even one analyst who had a problem with that? 1 find me one mr. Knows more than baseball than me because I allegedly never played above little league.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They were up by 7.  Why do you think Farrell let Dempster pitch?  2 men out, no one one.  At home.  Trying to make a play that had a SLIM chance of being successful. Is it wrong of Vic to try?  No.  But understand the context and understand the ramifications:  Why tick off a team and wake them up based on an action that would had about a 2% chance of netting any tangible success? 

Try and see the bigger picture.  This wasn't not trying to score on a Sac Fly up by 20 runs.  This wasn't not trying to break up a double play.  This isn't about trying to strike out the side.  Trying to gun someone out on a single is completely different.  If Freese was lolly gagging down the line, I say do it.  But he wasn't.  I just don't know why you would want to try and kick your opponent when he's already down.  It is a kind of a bully move in my opinion and could come back to bite you. 

[/QUOTE]

Even though you can't read my posts because you chose to ignore me because I disagreed with you on something....and you're a baby and couldn't handle it.....  I understand where you're coming from on this one.  While I don't agree with it I certainly can see your side.

But it is basbeall.....they are in the business of getting people out no matter what it takes.  If there is a way to get a batter out in the world series....you get him out...regardless of score. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh great wizard of baseball know how....why is getting an OUT an unnecessary thing?????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Belichick seen leaving Farrell's office before last nights game. I hear there was an "understanding" reached.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Cardinals and their fans are already going with this whiny, defeatist mentality, then the series is over.

WHat a desperate crock.  How about this? This ain't the NL!   Our lineup is deep and tough, will work counts, and is superior to an NL lineup, so our pitchers who just faced a season't worth of AL lineups are now seeing an easier lineup with STL.

Personally, I find it a bit arrogant that this element is ignored by the media and now somehow, things will change because it's the World Series.

AL>NL

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Cardinal nation. They whine more than all other teams combined. It was even worse when Larussa was there, he was truly awful.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh great wizard of baseball know how....why is getting an OUT an unnecessary thing?????

[/QUOTE]

see, now you are being insulting and you have confirmed my assumption of you

you like to try and talk around in circles don't you?  for the 5th time, no one is saying that getting an out is an unncessary thing.  you have to understand the specific event and the specific context and how it may affect your opponent's approach towards you

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not sure about the eye roll comment....

It's being talked about on the STL radio shows this morning.  I assume it will be newsworthy throughout the day.  I hope it's not true, and I don't believe it is.  But, it does look a little funky, agree?

(rolls eyes)

[/QUOTE]

Larry Brown works for WHO?? 

It looks to me like much ado about nothing. 

1) If you look at Lester's glove, the stitching and cord surrounding the fingers and thumb are lighter in color than is the leather around it. That's the part Lester was touching.

2) The shadows in the video make it impossible to see if there is anything foreign in that area.

3) Vaseline is an opaque substance which would make it nearly impossible to see if it WERE there.

4) It's impossible to determine texture from a video.

This strikes me as a case of someone saying something, so it MUST be true.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 

If you have any doubts about the credibility of Larry Brown you might want to look at this

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/red-sox-lines-shaved-heads-2-chainz/208345

which is part of the same string of articles on the WS.  And pay special attention to the very last paragraph.  Brown is obviously willing to say anything to demonize the Red Sox. 

Brown has "sore loser" stapled to his forehead.   

[/QUOTE]

Ok, this is odd.  I'm a Sox fan, thought it was something to discuss on a discussion board.  Didn't expect a Patriot-fan like reaction, but it is what it is.  Regarding the color/texture, it looked shiney and has the same color as this:

I am in no way saying he doctored the ball.  It seemed newsworthy, but I shoulda' known not to dare question anything.  Enjoy folks....

[/QUOTE]

Yon are in no way saying he doctored the ball when you claim he spread vaseline on his glove, hat, shirt, left ear and crotch area, being filmed as he did so. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts