Lester: club option or qualifying offer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Lester: club option or qualifying offer?

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

ERA+ is the single best measure of a pitcher's performance. 

No, it is not.

Yes, it is. If you disagree, prove that my opinion is not as valid as yours is. Thats the problem you have Breidey: arrogance. I told you this before, as have others.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, I remember the last time you called me arrogant.  It was during the discussion about Doubront, when you were saying he was a #5, AT BEST, and I was showing you some stats to demonstrate that he was a lot closer to a #2 than a #5.  And now you're saying Doubront is a lot better than Lester.

How am not supposed to be arrogant when you are basing your entire Lester argument on stats that I supplied to you?  You're SCREAMING out that Joey was right, and I'm supposed to be humble about it?  You're asking a lot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

What if you could only use 3 stats to evaluate a pitcher...which 3 would you use?

I'd pick IP ERA+ and WHIP

WHIP, Opponants BAA & Slg are the best indicators of a pitchers ability to limit base runners which lead to runs earned or unearned...

ERA is flawed in that it weighs pitchers based on 9 innings...which is no longer relavent in the modern game, where a starter rarely pitches into the 7th. ERA minus and plus are equally flawed becasue they're also weighted based on 9 innings...

I've always been a fan of runs allowed per innings pitched for relivers and runs allowed per Game for starters. It's a much better measure than ERA

[/QUOTE]

Era has its merits.  I admit it's flawed but every stat alone only tells the partial story.  I still feel that when augmented with other stats ERA is one of the better ones.

[/QUOTE]

It does...my greatest issue with it is that rarely if ever do starting pitchers pitch complete games. since era is an average of erned runs allowed per 9 innings pitched. It doesn't accurately measure today starters given they as rule go 7 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox starters 2nd half 2013:

ERA-

53 Workman

66 Doubront

78 Lester

118 Lackey

130 Dempster (before tonight)

142 Peavy

641 Wright

WHIP

1.22 Lester

1.33 Workman

1.38 Doubront

1.42 Peavy

1.47 Lackey

1.52 Dempster

3.00 Wright

ERA

2.25 Workman

2.79 Doubront

3.28 Lester

4.96 Lackey

5.46 Dempster

6.00 Peavy

27.0 Wright

xFIP

3.01 Workman

3.04 Lester

3.28 Lackey

4.06 Doubront

4.36 Dempster

4.70 Peavy

11.42 Wright

tERA 

3.44 Doubront

3.78 Lester

3.92 Lackey

4.05 Workman

4.93 Dempster

7.64 Peavy

SIERA

3.10 Lester

3.26 Workman

3.44 Lackey

4.33 Doubront

4.45 Dempster

4.91 Peavy

Full Season (50+ IP with Sox)

ERA-  Buch 41, Lackey 79, Doub 80, Lester 104, Demp 107 (Peavy 107-2 teams)

WHIP Buch 1.02, Lackey 1.22, Lester 1.34, Doub 1.36, Demp 1.45 (Peavy 1.17)

SIERA

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

ERA+ is the single best measure of a pitcher's performance. 

No, it is not.

Yes, it is. If you disagree, prove that my opinion is not as valid as yours is. Thats the problem you have Breidey: arrogance. I told you this before, as have others.

Sure, I remember the last time you called me arrogant.  It was during the discussion about Doubront, when you were saying he was a #5, AT BEST, and I was showing you some stats to demonstrate that he was a lot closer to a #2 than a #5.  And now you're saying Doubront is a lot better than Lester.

How am not supposed to be arrogant when you are basing your entire Lester argument on stats that I supplied to you?  You're SCREAMING out that Joey was right, and I'm supposed to be humble about it?  You're asking a lot.

Is that your proof? Its pathetic Joey, not that I am surprised. Remember: I am not the only person here to label you as arrogant. And I don't need YOU to tell me how Doubront is pitching. Nor do I need your help with stats, as you know. But keep braying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Is that your proof? Its pathetic Joey, not that I am surprised. Remember: I am not the only person here to label you as arrogant. And I don't need YOU to tell me how Doubront is pitching. Nor do I need your help with stats, as you know. But keep braying.

If you don't need me to help you with the stats, then why did you call Doubront a #5, at best?  And now have seemingly changed your mind.

If you didn't need my help with the stats, then why did you refer to Rededick as dog po op, then two weeks later, complained that Tito wasn't starting him everyday?