Lester for Wil Myers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Lester for Wil Myers?

I am on my phone so I can post the link but there is some buzz the Royals want Lester or Shields and are possibly willing to give up Wil Myers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Lester for Wil Myers?

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I am on my phone so I can post the link but there is some buzz the Royals want Lester or Shields and are possibly willing to give up Wil Myers.

From the Kansas City Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/26/3935685/royals-could-likely-land-front.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/26/3935685/royals-could-likely-land-front.html

Pitching was the problem to start with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love to get Myers, but opening another hole at our biggest area of need, SP, is not going to help us. Now, if we coupled this move with a trade for Brett Anderson and a couple of FA signings, then maybe it's worth a longer look.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ummm...who is going to pitch?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Maybe with the money saved, Ben will go after Greinke of A Sanchez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

I wouldn't mind a trade for Hosmer. Great 1b to get imo. As far as dealing Lester, I have no problem with that. No one on last year's roster should be un-tradable. Even Lester. I think if Lester goes, which I doubt will happen but let's just say it does, You have a boat load of good young pitchers in the farm system again and now u can sign Marcum and sign Haren as well because you have the money to do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What if we traded Lester and others (Bradley? Aceves?...) for Hosner (or Butler) & Myers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

You have to get pitching in return and KC has some pitching to come back with Will Myers.  I wouldnt mind a Alex Gordon coming as well if Boston would send a prospect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

There are enough pitchers between FA and through trades that I would trade Lester and Kalish for Alex Gordon and a prospect--He has played 1 b, 3b, all OF. Make him your 1 b--he's expensive-signed to 2016. He could be an excellent team leader.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I do Lester for Wil Myers in a heartbeat. I even pay Lester's salary this year. And throw in another prospect or two.

Wil Myers is a consensus top 3 prospect in all of baseball. We need a corner out fielder. The market for that stinks worse then for starters. I would take the chance that Myers is ready.

Lester isn't the pitcher he was two years ago. Has only two years left on his contract.

I would sign Anibal Sanchez and Dan Haren and do this deal. Have to believe the Rays would trade Matt Moore for him however. That seems like a more logical deal for both teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I agree with Moon here.  If we can find a way to get a couple more starters (Sanchez or other #1/2, and then a Marcum or Haren type gamble), I'd do the deal in a heartbeat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

Maybe with the money saved, Ben will go after Greinke of A Sanchez.

Lester contract is 7.6 million. The Red Sox pitcher did have one of his worst seasons last year. I am a fan of Lester but to get Wil Myers I will do the trade and 7.6 million off the books could get us iether greinke sanchez or also let us not forget that Lohse is also the Red Sox mngt. wants. It is big gamble to give up Lester but either way i will still be content with Lester or Myers. Greinke has issues but is still young but Lohse will be my choice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Lester contract is 7.6 million. The Red Sox pitcher did have one of his worst seasons last year. I am a fan of Lester but to get Wil Myers I will do the trade and 7.6 million off the books could get us iether greinke sanchez or also let us not forget that Lohse is also the Red Sox mngt. wants. It is big gamble to give up Lester but either way i will still be content with Lester or Myers. Greinke has issues but is still young but Lohse will be my choice.

Jon Lester has a 2013 salary of $11.625 million with a $13 million team option, or $250,000 buyout, for 2014.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=154

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

The Sox could also send OF's to KC for moar pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Jon Lester has a 2013 salary of $11.625 million with a $13 million team option, or $250,000 buyout, for 2014.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=154

Thanx for the correction that will even make the pocket book more better and the possibility to trade lester more predictable/realistic. Thanx for that info page i been looking for a good contract page for ball teams. Thanx

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

What if we traded Lester and others (Bradley? Aceves?...) for Hosner (or Butler) & Myers?

That would be a nice blockbuster deal.  It's time for Cherington to make some NOISE!!!   :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I would make that trade but I think the Sox brought Farrell in specifically to turn Lester back into the pitcher he was. Maybe not.  Either way that is a trade I would do - with a focus for 2014 and beyond. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, let's focus on 2014....2013 will be a freakin' joke, 81-81 if lucky, but more like 72-90 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox are back to the let's get the bargain basement guys with personality. Let's change the clubhouse, let's change the dugout. Well, if you don't have talent, you stink even with personality guys and the right motivator. It's all about talent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

yes, let's focus on 2014....2013 will be a freakin' joke, 81-81 if lucky, but more like 72-90 

So far, the Red Sox have very little hope in 2013. 

But then again, we never know.  After all, I'm sure none of us predicted the Oakland A's and Baltimore O's to make the playoffs this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ice cream, the Orioles had some good things in place, far better than the Sox current situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Absolutely this could be a great deal if the team admits its time to rebuild.  if Lester proves this year was a fluke, his value after 2014 will be very similar to that of CC Sabathia a few years back.  Do you see the Sox risking another Beckett situation signing a 30/31 year old pitcher to a long term high cost deal?  Plus the afore mentioned CC will be nearing his end, setting up NYY as likely bidders for Lester.  Myers had been mentioned with Bryce Harper as top OF prospects.  Seems like a easy decision.  It could also end the potentially ugly bandaid approach for 2013, and really position the team to be a longer term force a couple years from now.

KC would improve their chances as immediate contenders, so it works for them too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When Mike Napoli and Johnny Gomes are the end-all of must have free agents, then you can pretty much tell the Sox have completely changed what they used to be about...winning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When Mike Napoli and Johnny Gomes are the end-all of must have free agents, then you can pretty much tell the Sox have completely changed what they used to be about...winning.

Sections
Shortcuts