Lester for Wil Myers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Lester for Wil Myers?

If the Rays stand idle and Myers does go to Boston then I would fire the Rays GM. They can easily afford to deal a pitcher and a young rokkie that they can control for 6 years is right up their alley. I would take Shields over Lester to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

I would do it, but only if you have a deal with Anibal Sanchez first

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do Lester for Wil Myers in a heartbeat. I even pay Lester's salary this year. And throw in another prospect or two.

Wil Myers is a consensus top 3 prospect in all of baseball. We need a corner out fielder. The market for that stinks worse then for starters. I would take the chance that Myers is ready.

Lester isn't the pitcher he was two years ago. Has only two years left on his contract.

I would sign Anibal Sanchez and Dan Haren and do this deal. Have to believe the Rays would trade Matt Moore for him however. That seems like a more logical deal for both teams.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Not to mention, Lester's problems last year seem to be related to Fenway Park.  The chances of the team not in Fenway in 2013?  Pretty low.  So unless you think Lester can resume pitching in Fenway like he did prior to his 2012 experiences, why not?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Sanchez goes back to the Tigers. He did pretty well there, they have money and they have a potent lineup.

IMO as a starter I would look for a team with a good closer. I think the Tigers might consider trading VMart for Bailey then using the savings to sign Soriano. Then Sanchez signs with the Tigers and the Tigers can use Bailey as a set-up guy and a backup closer for Soriano.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

If given a chance to acquire a middle of the order bat under team control for 6 years for a pitcher who hasn't been the same since he hurt his trapazoid muscle in July of 2011 you have to do it. Can't believe all the reports about this kid could be wrong. But w/ Lester we'd be very lucky if we got 2-3 more solid years out of him and not sure many fans feel he might give us that. While Hosner would be a great fit also, have to believe Lesters numbers could be replaced w/ the $ saved by signing at least 2 of the FA pitchers in Sanchez / Haren / Marcum /McCarthy. Would a deal like this shake up the franchise? It would send a good message to all players, if you don't perform to your contract risk being traded. Crawford, Agon, and now Lester it would be all about accountability. Go for it Ben!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I canot see over-paying Sanchez......................... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Per MLBTR:

8:51pm: A Major League source confirmed to WEEI's Rob Bradford that the two teams have indeed discusseda trade that would center around Lester and Myers. According to Bradford, the talks also included the possibility of Boston sending outfield help to Kansas City with some pitching heading back to the Red Sox. He echoes that nothing is close.

I wonder what other players, if any, have been discussed. Outfield help - meaning Kalish? Brentz? ...or Bradley?

Trading Lester would certainly be easier to swallow if we got a pitching prospect as part of the deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Lester will never go anywhere!!!

If Boston can find two top best pitchers that can pitch like an ACE or type #2 pitcher, then I may have no problem trading Lester.

But right now there isnt any one who is a type #2 or an ACE pitcher available.  I dont think Grienke is an ACE pitcher at all nor maybe he isnt a type #2 pitcher.  Sanchez is more of a #3 type of a pitcher!!

Forget it everyone, Boston is not going to trade Lester, Lackey, Doubront and Bucholtz.  IF they ever want Felix, then they can have Doubront!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DO IT !!!!!!   This could be part of a much needed BLOCKBUSTER !!!!   Time to move Jon Lester to a new address !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I want this to happen!!!   :)

Royal's GM: "Hey Wil, what's up?  Grab a seat."

Wil Myers: "Thank you."

Royal's GM: "Wil,.............you've been traded to the Boston Red Sox."

Wil Myers: "That's %&*$#&^ awesome!!!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What if we traded Lester and others (Bradley? Aceves?...) for Hosner (or Butler) & Myers?

[/QUOTE]          Bradley ?   NOT !!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox could also send OF's to KC for moar pitching.

[/QUOTE]

yes agree ... Give them Ells, Kalish,Nava for anything.... Bag of balls, anything. George Brett pine tar bat anything. A bucket of water from the fountain ..anything

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Bradley ?   NOT !!!!!!!!

Jackie Bradley has never been ranked as high as Wil Myers is (or as high as Eric Hosmer and Billy Butler were as prospects).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re:  Eric Hosmer (not Hosner)

He has 2 years of MLB service time

He displayed mediocre power in the minors

He's underwelmed in two major league seasons

He's a lefty

I doubt he's available

On to the positive:

He's 6'3"

He showed elite contact hitting in the minors

However, Billy Butler has shown elite contact hitters in the majors.  Has more power (29 HR's last year).  Has been crushing major  league pitching for four hears.  He's 3-4 years older (26/27 as opposedto 22/23).  Butler, the righty, is the player who I would target.

Give me a 26 year old who has been awesome in the majors for 3-4 years over a 23 year old who has struggled in the majors for two, anyday.  Most of Hosmer's stats are from his first month  in the MLB.  Since pitchers have adjusted to him, he's struggled.  He hasnt made that leap to MLB pitching yet.  Thats a leap some of the best prospects never make.  (Not giving up on him, just saying, he isnt a guarantee).

I'd be much happier w/ a package of Butler/Myers than Hosmer / Myers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a lefty

I doubt he's available

On to the positive:

He's 6'3"

However, Billy Butler has shown elite contact hitters in the majors.  Has more power (29 HR's last year).  Has been crushing major  league pitching for four hears.  He's 3-4 years older (26/27 as opposedto 22/23).  Butler, the righty, is the player who I would target.

Give me a 26 year old who has been awesome in the majors for 3-4 years over a 23 year old who has struggled in the majors for two, anyday.  Most of Hosmer's stats are from his first month  in the MLB.  Since pitchers have adjusted to him, he's struggled.  He hasnt made that leap to MLB pitching yet.  Thats a leap some of the best prospects never make.  (Not giving up on him, just saying, he isnt a guarantee).

[/QUOTE]

Maybe expand the trade and bring in Gordon, Butler & Myers. It would even up the money more for KC.

We could give: Lester and add any 3 from : Morales, Tazawa, Aceves, Bradley or Brentz. I'd even consider any 4 or another prospect from below #10.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind a trade for Hosmer. Great 1b to get imo. As far as dealing Lester, I have no problem with that. No one on last year's roster should be un-tradable. Even Lester. I think if Lester goes, which I doubt will happen but let's just say it does, You have a boat load of good young pitchers in the farm system again and now u can sign Marcum and sign Haren as well because you have the money to do it.

[/QUOTE]

My exact thinking but if the Sox do sign Napoli trading Lester will make sense. Hosmer involve in the deal will fill a bigger hole

The trade for Myers and Hosmer will involve Lester Acevez and low profile prosect. The Roylas want pitching first.

This deal will fill in holes with Napoli to 4 yrs., Napoli can be our 1B for 2 yrs. with Hosmer as the back up 1B DH and pinch hitting when the sox need a more defensive 1B to enter the gm. ie late innings or extra innings. Whem papi 2 yr. contract expires napoli can fill the DH role and Hosmer will be ready at first base for FT duties.

This kid Myers in 2 yrs. along with our Bradley Brentz may all be ready for the big step into the majors and the Sox outfield will be young powerful and quick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He's a lefty

I doubt he's available

On to the positive:

He's 6'3"

[/QUOTE]

Maybe expand the trade and bring in Gordon, Butler & Myers. It would even up the money more for KC.

We could give: Lester and add any 3 from : Morales, Tazawa, Aceves, Bradley or Brentz. I'd even consider any 4 or another prospect from below #10.

[/QUOTE]

Not nearly enough.  You are getting an all-star OF at 28 years old, an all star DH at 26 years old, and the top prospect in the MLB.

I'm thinking more like: Lester, Brentz, Boegarts, Webster, Owens, Aceves.

(I'd do this too).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Maybe expand the trade and bring in Gordon, Butler & Myers. It would even up the money more for KC. We could give: Lester and add any 3 from : Morales, Tazawa, Aceves, Bradley or Brentz. I'd even consider any 4 or another prospect from below #10.

I doubt the Royals will gut their current team to acquire Jon Lester coming off a 4.82 ERA season, some pitchers expendable on a team with weak pitching numbers and one outfield prospect less regarded than Wil Myers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember Andy Marte?

After the 2005 season, the Red Sox traded Edgar Renteria to the Braves in exchange for outfielder Marte, who was hailed as an up-and-coming 21-year-old stud and one of the top power-hitting prospects in the game. He never played a game for the Sox, instead serving as the centerpiece of a deal with the Indians that netted Boston Coco Crisp.

Marte flopped in Cleveland. In parts of five seasons with the Indians, he hit .218/.277/.358/.635. He signed a minor league free agent deal with the Pirates in 2011, hitting .202/.278/.328/.606 as a 27-year-old in Triple-A. He didn’t play in affiliated baseball last year.

Prospects remain gambles. Myers could turn into the next Mike Stanton. Or he could turn into the next Marte. Until he’s tested in the big leagues, uncertainty about his future exists.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I wonder what Lester is thinking,........

Lester: "Ahhhh four-letter-"S"-word.  Kansas City of all places?!?"  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I wonder what Lester is thinking,........ Lester: "Ahhhh four-letter-"S"-word.  Kansas City of all places?!?" 

The horror of being traded from an aging team coming off a 93-loss season to a young team coming off a 90-loss season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kansas City isnt a terrible place to play.  Historic franchise.  Beautiful Stadium.  Low pressure.  Easy going and friendly fanbase.  Interested fanbase.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Very good points hill55 and Drewski5.   :)

If I was a ballplayer and I already have a World Series ring and three playoff appearances (like Lester has in 2007, 2008 and 2009), then I would prefer to be traded to a playoff contender.  

I doubt the Royals will make the playoffs anytime soon (although the A's and O's surprised me this year).  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd love to get Myers, but opening another hole at our biggest area of need, SP, is not going to help us. Now, if we coupled this move with a trade for Brett Anderson and a couple of FA signings, then maybe it's worth a longer look.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly Moon...Lester, if he works hard at it, could become a serviceable #4 or 5 SP in the rotation. He will never be a #1, 2, or 3 again, most likely, but the bottom end of the rotation also has to have pitchers in it, and we need depth there. A team whose pitching is as bad as ours is should not be trading away starting pitching for position player prospects.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kansas City isnt a terrible place to play.  Historic franchise.  Beautiful Stadium.  Low pressure.  Easy going and friendly fanbase.  Interested fanbase.

[/QUOTE]

Kansas City is a great town - with great fans for both Baseball and Football.

It's a great place.

I don't lik eth eidea of trading lester for an OF prospect.  I do like the speculation I have seen here that they might be able to package to get Butler or Hosmer + a prospect.

Lester had a bad season - but start listing better LH starters and yopu will run out of names pretty quickly.  He is still an incredibly valuable piece and it better be a lot coming back to Boston to trade Lester.

It also makes our SP even worse - and starters are already a desperate need.

I am very uneasy about trading Lester.

Sections
Shortcuts