Lester for Wil Myers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Lester for Wil Myers?

moon - i have my doubts about any free agent signed for 9 figures...but you would have to go back to the Mike Cameron signing to find a guy we signed that i was opposed to....i liked all those crappy shortstops theo signed because i was hopeful they one could be the answer, i liked lackey signing because he was clutch in the postseason, i loved the crawford/agon deals because they were supposed to be the end all and be all to our dynsasty....shoot i still like Dice and JD Drew....Zach has issues and hasnt been dominant all his career - but he is quality and could jump start the staff....plus we have the money to take a chance....like i always say - its not rocket science....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do Lester for Wil Myers in a heartbeat. I even pay Lester's salary this year. And throw in another prospect or two.

Wil Myers is a consensus top 3 prospect in all of baseball. We need a corner out fielder. The market for that stinks worse then for starters. I would take the chance that Myers is ready.

Lester isn't the pitcher he was two years ago. Has only two years left on his contract.

I would sign Anibal Sanchez and Dan Haren and do this deal. Have to believe the Rays would trade Matt Moore for him however. That seems like a more logical deal for both teams.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  For the money we are paying Lester, plus another couple million, we can get a pretty good pitcher.  And have transformed our farm system into a top-tier system.

OTOH, I don't see any sense from the KC side.  Moore makes 10x as much sense, though KC would have ante up another good prospect, imho.  What KC should aim for is Doubront+ for Gordon, replace Gordon with Myers, and use the cash on another FA SP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester had a bad year, but he is only 28, so I am not buying he is over the hill.  His fastball in 2012 was .6 mph slower than it was 2011--that's nuisance value.  As Abraham points out, Lester has had three pitching coaches in two years, none of them any good, and he has probably had less than stellar pitch-callers behind the plate. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree it's more likely that Lester is having a bad patch than being on the downhill slide.  I also believe that - in isolation - higher velocity is generally better than lower velocity....and even a .6 drop is a negative....much more so if it's part of a trend.

But I think the key question is why his velocity has dropped (a bit).  I'm no expert (where's expitch when you need him!) but would suggest the following possibilities in acending order of likelihood:

• Aging - seems ridiculous to me, he's only 28
    • Physical conditioning - hard to believe because he's not obviously unfit and, in the words of Johnny Sain (according to Bouton) - "you can't run the ball over the plate".  But maybe a bit, who knows?
    • General wear-and-tear - seems unlikey to me, pretty steady workload, smooth motion
    • Mechanical issues - as Max wrote he's had a parade of pitching coaches (and catchers) for a couple of years
    • Specific injury problem - is his elbow/shoulder wearing out?

So to those worried about Lester's drop in velocity, which of those do you think it is, or what other reason do you attribute it to?

And whichever it is (are), what are your specific concerns?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Jon Lester                              Zack Greinke

2008  W/L     16-6                                          13-10

2009  W/L     15-8                                          16-8

2010  W/L     19-9                                          10-14

2011 W/L      15-9                                          16-6

2012 W/L       9-14                                         15-5

Overall         74-46                                         70-43

Jon Lester                             Zack Greinke

2008 ERA      3.21                                          3.47

2009 ERA      3.41                                          2.16

2010 ERA      3.25                                          4.17

2011 ERA      3.47                                          3.83

2012 ERA      4.82                                          3.48           

Jon Lester                               Zack Greinke

2008 Starts       33                                          32

2009 Starts       32                                          33

2010 Starts       32                                          33

2011 Starts       31                                          28

2012 Starts       33                                          34

Overall              161                                        160

Jon Lester                             Zack Greinke

2008IP              210.1                                     202.1

2009IP              203.1                                     229.1

2010IP              208.0                                     220.0

2011IP              191.2                                     171.2

2012IP              205.1                                     212.1

Overall              1,018.2                                  1,035.2

Both Pitchers round off to 6.1 innings per start

Greinke is a few months older.

Lester                                    Greinke 

Career Record        85-48                                       91-78

Career ERA             3.76                                         3.77 

Career WHIP           1.306                                       1.247

Career H/9                8.4                                          8.9

Career BB/9              3.3                                          2.3

Career HR/9                .9                                           .9

Career SO/9             8.2                                           8.0

Career ERA+            119                                         114

Very comparable pitchers.  Jon Lester would be a very hot commodity if he was a free agent right now.  His salary over the next 2 years(only 1 guaranted) is far less expensive than Greinke's expected salary.                        

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think Lester is still a beast and just had an off year....makes no sense imo to send him packing for anyone = let alone an unporven player.....sign grienke and they will form a good tandem that will raise each other up,unlike beckett who dragged everyone to his sloth level

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ironically, that Fangraphs article was written the day after Valentine left Lester in a game to get his t*ts ripped for 11 runs in 4 innings.  His next start after that was the first of his last 13 where he finished strong.  He had a mechanical flaw (which Farrell said he noticed early last season in a game against Toronto) that caused him to lose his control, which was causing him to try to steer the ball instead of just throwing.  Either way, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in baseball who now considers him a "back of the rotation guy" at 28, after one bad season. Some people may even think he's a strong candidate for a big rebound season.  I'll guess we'll see...

I'll start with the disclaimer that I would trade Lester for Myers, so this is not a post in favor of keeping Lester.

1-He was an ace on the road, and horrible at home.  His splits were 6.31/3.30.  I don't think you can pitch that well on the road without having good stuff.  His 2011 split was 3.49/3.47.

2-It looks to me like the issue was inconsistency as much as anything.  From 6/5-7/3, he had 6 excellent games. From 8/1-end of season, he was very good.  And that 11-run outing that BV left him in for added about a 1/2 run to his ERA.

3-The loss in velocity is not precipitious.  Compare him to Greinke.  Greinke was at 93.7 in 2009, and 92.4 now.  Lester was at 93.7 in 2009 and is at 92.6 now.

4-All his 'luck' factors went wrong.  HR/FB 1.10 v a career 0.85.  BABIP .312 v career .301.  LOB% 67.6 v a career 74.8.  Not huge differences, but all three were negative, and that adds up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moon - i have my doubts about any free agent signed for 9 figures...but you would have to go back to the Mike Cameron signing to find a guy we signed that i was opposed to....i liked all those crappy shortstops theo signed because i was hopeful they one could be the answer, i liked lackey signing because he was clutch in the postseason, i loved the crawford/agon deals because they were supposed to be the end all and be all to our dynsasty....shoot i still like Dice and JD Drew....Zach has issues and hasnt been dominant all his career - but he is quality and could jump start the staff....plus we have the money to take a chance....like i always say - its not rocket science....

I guess you don't learn from all those mistake you just mentioned.

Like it or not, we have a limited budget. Spending huge on Greinke and others now, will prevent spending on better FAs in the future. That IS Rocket Science.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Palmer '74

Jenkins '73

Carlton '70

Seaver '82

Young '94

Almost all players with long careers have some bad years.....some injury-related, some not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester had a bad year, but he is only 28, so I am not buying he is over the hill.  His fastball in 2012 was .6 mph slower than it was 2011--that's nuisance value.  As Abraham points out, Lester has had three pitching coaches in two years, none of them any good, and he has probably had less than stellar pitch-callers behind the plate. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree it's more likely that Lester is having a bad patch than being on the downhill slide.  I also believe that - in isolation - higher velocity is generally better than lower velocity....and even a .6 drop is a negative....much more so if it's part of a trend.

But I think the key question is why his velocity has dropped (a bit).  I'm no expert (where's expitch when you need him!) but would suggest the following possibilities in acending order of likelihood:

• Physical conditioning - hard to believe because he's not obviously unfit and, in the words of Johnny Sain (according to Bouton) - "you can't run the ball over the plate".  But maybe a bit, who knows?
    • General wear-and-tear - seems unlikey to me, pretty steady workload, smooth motion
    • Mechanical issues - as Max wrote he's had a parade of pitching coaches (and catchers) for a couple of years

So to those worried about Lester's drop in velocity, which of those do you think it is, or what other reason do you attribute it to?

[/QUOTE]

There was a great article at fangraphs about pitchers who have lost velocity not due to injury. A vast amount- like just about everyone- never regained the velocity.

Can Lester re-invent himself?

Maybe. But, it usually takes time.

While Lester looked good his last 12 starts or so, he only let up less than 3 ERs in 3 of those last 12 games and only went over 7 IP twice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

There was a great article at fangraphs about pitchers who have lost velocity not due to injury. A vast amount- like just about everyone- never regained the velocity.

Can Lester re-invent himself?

Maybe. But, it usually takes time.

While Lester looked good his last 12 starts or so, he only let up less than 3 ERs in 3 of those last 12 games and only went over 7 IP twice.

[/QUOTE]

Can you provide the link? Sounds interesting.

I would be surprised if many/any of them were 28, smooth motion, no history of structural injuries, no youthful high use, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Can you provide the link? Sounds interesting.

FanGraphs has run several pieces on the topic:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/velocity-trends-and-pitchers-to-watch-in-2013/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/pitcher-attrition-and-velocity-decline-by-age/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/at-what-point-should-we-worry-about-velocity-loss/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/odds-of-regaining-velocity-by-age/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/do-cutters-kill-fastball-velocity/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/felix-hernandez-and-missing-velocity/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks for the links, hill. I just do not have much hope for Lester returning to glory real quick. Although I think we need SP'ers badly, if we can get Myers and maybe Gordon and/or Butler too, I'd pull the trigger and then trade for or sign 2 SPs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theres no way I trade a 21yr old who has NEVER stepped foot in a MLB batters box for an accomplished MLB pitcher coming off a down year. It would take a lot more than Myers to get the deal done. The value of a successful starting MLB pitcher far outweighs a ML corner outfielder with pop and a high K rate.

Lester has gone through a rough 2 years with 3 pitching coaches, picking up bad habits from Beckett and finally hitting rock bottom this year. He was the one who was the most excited having Farrell back and I believe will benefit the most from his presence. Lester has had great success in the toughest division in MLB, being a LHP in Fenway Park no less. You dont just give that kind of talent away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Rays stand idle and Myers does go to Boston then I would fire the Rays GM. They can easily afford to deal a pitcher and a young rokkie that they can control for 6 years is right up their alley. I would take Shields over Lester to.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  I also would take Shields over Lester. 

If I'm the Rays GM, then I would work on a deal with one of my top pitchers (Shields or Hellickson) for Myers.  Or even create a blockbuster deal. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The value of a successful starting MLB pitcher far outweighs a ML corner outfielder with pop and a high K rate.

[/QUOTE]

Not if the starting pitcher has only two years left and has lost 1.5 mph off his fastball in the last two years and is only about 60% the pitcher he was two years ago. And not if that corner outfielder with pop is a consensus top 3 prospect in all of baseball.

As for Myers K rate, its just .206% in his career. Not a problem. Especially for his age to level. This year it went up in AA when he swang for the fences and tore the cover off the ball. Then after being promoted to AAA it dropped back down to .223%. Not a problem. So the only problem area in his entire career with K's was in 150 plate appearences this year in AA when he changed his approach and had a 1.146 OPS. K's are not an issue with Wil Myers.

Truthfully, I am extremely doubtful Boston trades Lester to KC. I expect it to be with Tampa for Hellickson or Moore. But this Lester for Myers rumor would have been a win for the Sox on paper.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One thing nobody ever mentions when talking about Lester's decline is cancer. A normal 28 year old hasn't undergone chemo and beaten cancer, and that must wear a body down as much as 1100+ innings does. Jon Lester is, simply put, not a normal 28 year old physical specimen. Now again I don't think he is done, but if he does break down early the life threatening battle he fought could be a factor

I would trade Lester for Meyers without hesitation. I've laid out my reasons why further back. Both carry risks, and I don't think Lester is done by any stretch, I just think he is a 2-3 not a 1. But also of importance, in the last few years (read post steroid era) lineup centerpieces have become much rarer while frontline pitchers have become much more abundant. There was a great breakdown of this per the Will Meyers trade laid out by Speier. From 2000-2009, there were an average of 27 players with 30+hrs and a >.350 obp, compared to an average of just 6.5 qualified pitchers per season posting a sub 3.00 (better than Lester ever has posted). In the last 3 years since heavy drug testing? That average for hitters has dropped to 14 players, whereas the average for pitchers posting a sub 3 era (again BETTER than Lester ever was) has risen to 14. Now extrapolate the fact that each team has 9 positional players and 5 rotation slots and that means that centerpiece bats are actually rarer than frontline pitchers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Can't say I'm 100% for or against this idea. On the one hand, Lester could be in irreversible decline as some believe, and Myers could turn into the next Giancarlo Stanton; on the other hand, Lester could bounce back to 2008-11 form and Myers could turn into the next Delmon Young (or worse yet, Brandon Wood). Either way, it's not a slam dunk and there's a lot of risk involved for both teams. So I'll wait to see how it all plays out. It makes for an interesting conversation topic for a few days, but I don't really expect anything will happen...and if it does, I think the Rays (with Price, Moore, Hellickson, Cobb, etc.) are in a much better position to give up Shields than we are to give up Lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't say I'm 100% for or against this idea. On the one hand, Lester could be in irreversible decline as some believe, and Myers could turn into the next Giancarlo Stanton; on the other hand, Lester could bounce back to 2008-11 form and Myers could turn into the next Delmon Young (or worse yet, Brandon Wood). Either way, it's not a slam dunk and there's a lot of risk involved for both teams. So I'll wait to see how it all plays out. It makes for an interesting conversation topic for a few days, but I don't really expect anything will happen...and if it does, I think the Rays (with Price, Moore, Hellickson, Cobb, etc.) are in a much better position to give up Shields than we are to give up Lester.

[/QUOTE]

Actually the Red Sox are probably in better shape to deal. The Rays have a surplus of major league ready pitching, which means they should contend this year with the right tweaks. The Red Sox have an abundance of potential 2s in the minors (RDL, Barnes, Webster) and frankly Morales advance stats were better than Lester's outside of 2010. The difference? The Red Sox are not likely to contend seriously in 2013 with or without Lester and then only have a team option for a then 30 year old pitcher. If he wants an extension you are looking at an AAV of $18+ if he rebounds even to 2011 form, and talking that for his age 31-36 seasons. If he bombs his trade value is non existant come the trade deadline and the Red Sox likely let him walk after the season. This is the time to trade Lester if you can get something real back for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I respect Chad Finn's take on this, but I've got to go with Peter Abrahams on this. 

JUST (continue to) SAY NO!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think Lester is still a beast and just had an off year....makes no sense imo to send him packing for anyone = let alone an unporven player.....sign grienke and they will form a good tandem that will raise each other up,unlike beckett who dragged everyone to his sloth level

[/QUOTE]  Yes a BEAST, @ 285 + LB's......   Lester still refuses to "own" the plate as he fiddles & complains.... The batter owns the plate !!!!   Move him now, Grasshopper !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Personally, I want to see what Lester can do now that Farrell is back and Beckett is gone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Theres no way I trade a 21yr old who has NEVER stepped foot in a MLB batters box for an accomplished MLB pitcher coming off a down year. It would take a lot more than Myers to get the deal done. The value of a successful starting MLB pitcher far outweighs a ML corner outfielder with pop and a high K rate.

Lester has gone through a rough 2 years with 3 pitching coaches, picking up bad habits from Beckett and finally hitting rock bottom this year. He was the one who was the most excited having Farrell back and I believe will benefit the most from his presence. Lester has had great success in the toughest division in MLB, being a LHP in Fenway Park no less. You dont just give that kind of talent away.

[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting that you usually are against my suggestions of trading our top prospects for established players, but seem dead set about trading Lester for a bonafide top of the top prospect.

While I do not think Lester is washed up, he has had more than a season of poor to not so great performance (counting Spet 2011). His lost velocity will likely never return. He is smart enough to re-invent himself into a pitcher not dependent on his heater, but for most pitchers that takes 2-3 years. By then, his contract is up.

As I said before, I would not trade Lester unless we have plans on adding 2 #3 slot or better SPs to our rotation via trade (B. Anderson?) or free agency (A Sanchez, E Jackson, McCarthy or Marcum?).

If we could trade Lester, Salty or Lava, and Aceves for Myers and Butler, and then sign A Sanchez & McCarthy, we'd be a much better team. If we could then trade for J Upton, I'd stop calling 2013 a "bridge year".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting that you usually are against my suggestions of trading our top prospects for established players, but seem dead set about trading Lester for a bonafide top of the top prospect.

While I do not think Lester is washed up, he has had more than a season of poor to not so great performance (counting Spet 2011). His lost velocity will likely never return. He is smart enough to re-invent himself into a pitcher not dependent on his heater, but for most pitchers that takes 2-3 years. By then, his contract is up.

As I said before, I would not trade Lester unless we have plans on adding 2 #3 slot or better SPs to our rotation via trade (B. Anderson?) or free agency (A Sanchez, E Jackson, McCarthy or Marcum?).

If we could trade Lester, Salty or Lava, and Aceves for Myers and Butler, and then sign A Sanchez & McCarthy, we'd be a much better team. If we could then trade for J Upton, I'd stop calling 2013 a "bridge year".

[/QUOTE]

Its not a bridge year they will sign at least 2 of Swisher, C.Ross, Napoli.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing 2 of Swisher, Naps or Ross without addressing the starting rotation makes us still a "bridge year" team in 2013.

We were horrible last year. There is no way Naps and Swish (& Gomes & D Ross) can turn us around that quickly, unless a confluence of other "what ifs" all happen at once. Doubtful, to say the least.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Signing 2 of Swisher, Naps or Ross without addressing the starting rotation makes us still a "bridge year" team in 2013.

We were horrible last year. There is no way Naps and Swish (& Gomes & D Ross) can turn us around that quickly, unless a confluence of other "what ifs" all happen at once. Doubtful, to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

And holding onto Lester and Lackey and Bailey dim the chances we will even see what Morales and Tazawa are capable of this season. Hopefully Morales at least slides into the rotation as his numbers were the best of every starter we threw out there last year and wasting his age 27 season would be awful for any future development. Tazawa at least SHOULD get the former Pap/Bard 8th inning slot, and should slide into that closers role should Bailey become Foulke 2.0. This would be a good year to see what these peripheral players can do while the young players continue developing in the minors. The team as constituted + Napoli/Swisher isn't a contender anyway just because the front office will force pitching Lackey 20 starts and sticking with Bailey for 20 save opps and the other guys just aren't good enough to compensate.