Lester for Wil Myers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Lester for Wil Myers?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Signing 2 of Swisher, Naps or Ross without addressing the starting rotation makes us still a "bridge year" team in 2013.

We were horrible last year. There is no way Naps and Swish (& Gomes & D Ross) can turn us around that quickly, unless a confluence of other "what ifs" all happen at once. Doubtful, to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I think that there are infinite championship equations.  People thinking that you have to have a specific formula (1 ace, 1 #2 pitcher, 2 # 3 pitchers, solid defense, blah blah blah) to win a championship are wrong.

The truth is that every single championship team has gotten there a different way.  We dont have to have elite pitching to win a world series.  And please dont throw the giants at me as an example because I understand that elite pitching is one of the ways to get there.  But there are infinitely other ways too.

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Our pitching only has to be good enough.  Look at the possibilities:

Lester rebounds

Buchholz pitches like he did mid-May on (a strong possibility)

Doubie takes a step forward (a high possibility considering his K rate)

De La Rosa emerges (throws 97 as a starter, has been successful in a short ML stint)

Webster takes a step forward

Lackey recovers strong from Tommy John

Out of those six, if three happen, we are in good shape.  We could then supplement our pitching via trade (if we sign Swish/Naps/Ross , we still have all our prospects).

I wasnt high on Swisher; however, the numbers Ive seen kicked around are suprisingly affordable to me.  I thought he was going to get 5 / 70.  But Im hearing more like 4 / 52.  I jump on that.  He's 32 and is not showing any signs of slowing down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Signing 2 of Swisher, Naps or Ross without addressing the starting rotation makes us still a "bridge year" team in 2013.

We were horrible last year. There is no way Naps and Swish (& Gomes & D Ross) can turn us around that quickly, unless a confluence of other "what ifs" all happen at once. Doubtful, to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I think that there are infinite championship equations.  People thinking that you have to have a specific formula (1 ace, 1 #2 pitcher, 2 # 3 pitchers, solid defense, blah blah blah) to win a championship are wrong.

The truth is that every single championship team has gotten there a different way.  We dont have to have elite pitching to win a world series.  And please dont throw the giants at me as an example because I understand that elite pitching is one of the ways to get there.  But there are infinitely other ways too.

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

De La Rosa emerges (throws 97 as a starter, has been successful in a short ML stint)

Out of those six, if three happen, we are in good shape.  We could then supplement our pitching via trade (if we sign Swish/Naps/Ross , we still have all our prospects).

I wasnt high on Swisher; however, the numbers Ive seen kicked around are suprisingly affordable to me.  I thought he was going to get 5 / 70.  But Im hearing more like 4 / 52.  I jump on that.  He's 32 and is not showing any signs of slowing down.

[/QUOTE]

nice post drew

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

Like I said... " a confluence of what ifs..."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but if ben signs a pitcher or 2 that kind of takes a few of those "what ifs" out of the equation

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but if ben signs a pitcher or 2 that kind of takes a few of those "what ifs" out of the equation

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said and have been saying all along: unless we get a #1 or 2 starter or 2 solid starters, we will not be "srious contenders" unless a "confluence of what ifs" come to be... doubtful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said and have been saying all along: unless we get a #1 or 2 starter or 2 solid starters, we will not be "srious contenders" unless a "confluence of what ifs" come to be... doubtful.

[/QUOTE]

i have confidence ben will get us a good starter

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i have confidence ben will get us a good starter

[/QUOTE]

I do too, but until he does, I am not considering us "serious contenders". I will not judge Ben until this winter is over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Neither Wil Myers nor Jon Lester made Grantland columnist Jonah Keri's list of Top 50 trade values, although Dustin Pedroia came in at No. 29 and James Shields warranted an honorable mention:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8627624/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we get 2 "solid starters", they will want to staret and we already have 4 that WILL be starting the season. We can only get one and sign a couple Cook types for depth...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

No, they need pitching. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They will get pitching. Im sure theyre working on things involving a trade as well as going over all their FA options. Just because we dont hear about it doesnt mean its not happening.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

If we get 2 "solid starters", they will want to staret and we already have 4 that WILL be starting the season. We can only get one and sign a couple Cook types for depth...

1) We can never have too much pitching.

2) Trading  Doubront and or Morales can help bring us a huge upgrade at another position, or...

3) Doubront can go to the pen if Lackey looks good and nobody is hurt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1) We can never have too much pitching.

2) Trading  Doubront and or Morales can help bring us a huge upgrade at another position, or...

3) Doubront can go to the pen if Lackey looks good and nobody is hurt.

[/QUOTE]

I would try and trade Doubie before I waste him in the pen, which by the way already is overloaded with LHP. I like Doubront though and with his impressive K rate, I think hes going to improve.

What other needs do we have that we cant cover in FA? naps, Swish cover 1b and OF. If we got a solid starter then made some good depth moves, ie; Jiar jurrjens, who may be non-tendered, to a ML deal or someone else like that..

All Im saying is I dont want to trade away a good starter only to have to find another good starter. doesnt make sense unless its a very distinct upgrade.

I think we could make a good trade for another 2-3 type pitcher

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Teams thinking they can win soon but that need pitching and can't afford to sign a good FA pitcher will give up a lot for guys like Doubront and Morales. They should "overpay".

We have the luxury of being able to sign an Anibal Sanchez or McCarthy/Marcum, and then add a low cost, long controlled younger player via trade by using our "excess pitching".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This trade will make JBJ available, perhap to Zona for Trevor Bauer?  One mroe solid prospect have to go but this move will make both OF and rotation younger.  

Lester and prospect for Myers and prospect, 

JBJ and Rubby for Bauer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

W/ a lineup of

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Swisher

Ross

Gomes/Sweeney

Salty

Iggy

Lester rebounds

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Will Middlebrooks and I see 4 OFers in the lineup... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe a little bit:

Age 28-29  .870

Age 30-31  .830

If the trend continues, he could be at .790 over the next 2 years combined. I doubt it, but still...

Sections
Shortcuts