lester has beckettitis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

lester has beckettitis

uncoachable headcase.even farrell,who knows pitching,says there is no problem with lesters physical skills.his best days are behind him.will be gone,if not this year,certainly before next season starts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: lester has beckettitis

i dont necessarilly agree with you but +2 points for the funny thread title. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i don't know Lester and his mental state, but he does look like a miserable man. Given his illness, recovery, god-given arm, and wealth, i would be very grateful. However like Calvin Coolide, he looks like he has been weaned on a pickle.

As always - 100% correct!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

He's a professional sportman who sets himself extremely high standards.

Would you rather he smiled and laughed after walking someone or allowing a HR? I'd rather he looked as miserable as I do when he comes out of the game without pitching 5 innings, when he looks like he doesn't care then I'd start to worry.

YNWA - JFT96

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to tenchylfcnsox's comment:

Would you rather he smiled and laughed after walking someone or allowing a HR? I'd rather he looked as miserable as I do when he comes out of the game without pitching 5 innings, when he looks like he doesn't care then I'd start to worry.

YNWA - JFT96

Exactly. Given how he's been pitching of late, how else should he look out there? It shows he cares.

I like that he was a stand-up guy last night: “I let the team down when we needed a big start tonight. That solely rests on me, nobody else." Also cool of him to interrupt De La Torre's presser to tell him, "Good job. Thanks for picking me up.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

YNWA - JFT96

Exactly. Given how he's been pitching of late, how else should he look out there? It shows he cares.

I like that he was a stand-up guy last night: “I let the team down when we needed a big start tonight. That solely rests on me, nobody else." Also cool of him to interrupt De La Torre's presser to tell him, "Good job. Thanks for picking me up.”

Yup.

I don't like the way he's performed lately at all.

But, I think his demeanor on and off the mound have improved a lot, since last year.

I just hope he, Nieves and Farrell can figure out what's messing him up, mechanically.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to ThefourBs comment:

Yup.

I don't like the way he's performed lately at all.

But, I think his demeanor on and off the mound have improved a lot, since last year.

I just hope he, Nieves and Farrell can figure out what's messing him up, mechanically.

Amen. I'm no pitching expert, but it looks to be his command more than anything.

Case in point: With the Sox leading 3-2 in the bottom of the third, the Rays had two on and  two out. Lester was ahead of Ryan Roberts 0-2, and Ross set up on the outside part of the plate. Lester threw a curve that went right down the middle, and Roberts hit it into center to tie the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

+1, Lloyd and 4B's. Sox won one they probably shouldn't have Monday, lost one they probably should have won, last night. Yes, Lester was terrible. It's one game. let's move on

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

+1, Lloyd and 4B's. Sox won one we probably shouldn't have Monday, lost one we probably shouldn't have, last night. Yes, Lester was terrible. It's one game. let's move on

I'm with you J! totally agree. they'll straighten him out. sorry you set your profile to private. I wanted to send you a message. my buddy jetes has my e-mail address in case you want to drop me a line or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have no issue with Lester being Miserable when he struggles....he is clearly a fierce competitor which probably helped him in his health battles. All that said, I think we are overrating him in considering him an Ace or at least a Horse.....we can say he has command issues but for his career he walks more than the lague average and he throws more pitches per plate appearance than the league average....because he is a big guy, this gets hidden because he can go 110+ pitches regularly but thaty is only going to wear him and the bullpen down as the year goes by.....he is a talented and good pitcher, but if you look at the rest of the Top of the rotation starters in the league, there arent alot of guys you wouldnt trade even up for him......We were all pretty sure that his struggles were all Beckett influenced and the way he started that seemed to have Merit....now it looks like he just isnt as good as we belive him to be 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i am a little shocked at seeing how many people here are attacking Lester as a lousy pitcher...he has been dominating earlier  this season and now is hitting a rough patch...but washed up? Really?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i am a little shocked at seeing how many people here are attacking Lester as a lousy pitcher...he has been dominating earlier  this season and now is hitting a rough patch...but washed up? Really?

Exactly. Hes only a month removed from a sub 3 era and a one hit shut out. Hopefully he will be fine he's a majorly important piece of the jigsaw especially if Buchholz takes many more off days. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well geo what do you expect from a bunch of fair weather red sox fans. why is it always what have you done for me lately eh? I mean, does anybody in here or out there really know what is going on with jon when he's not in the public eye? so quick to throw him under the bus. sheesh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

+1, Lloyd and 4B's. Sox won one they probably shouldn't have Monday, lost one they probably should have won, last night. Yes, Lester was terrible. It's one game. let's move on

Its one game? Are you kidding me? Lester has stunk for the last TEN games. His ERA has been over 5 during that period. In fact, he has STUNK for the last year and a half! Yeah, he had a great start where his ERA was 1.71 for the first FOUR games, but since then he has performed like....well, like Lester. I have no idea why some folks here believe he is the pitcher he was from 2008-2011 when he was, admittedly, dominant. He is not that guy any more. His velocity and his command continue to decrease. I am thrilled that he owns up to his debacle last night. If he owns up to every bad performance this year we will be hearing a lot from Jon Lester. Face it: he is not very good any more. A serviceable #4 SP; thats all he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Exactly. Hes only a month removed from a sub 3 era and a one hit shut out. Hopefully he will be fine he's a majorly important piece of the jigsaw especially if Buchholz takes many more off days. 

He has FOUR good games followed by TEN crappy ones-or at least ten that could not be defined as good. In every big game he lays an egg. Last year he stunk. No debate there. And his ERA is already at 4.12 and rising rapidly. The only thing wrong with Lester has nothing to do with him at all: its that some people have unrealistic expectations that he is a good #1 or 2 SP. He is not that guy any more. He was at one time. It would shock me to see him have an ERA below 4 this year. He will finish around 4.40 or so IMO. Mediocre.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Its one game? Are you kidding me? Lester has stunk for the last TEN games. His ERA has been over 5 during that period. In fact, he has STUNK for the last year and a half! Yeah, he had a great start where his ERA was 1.71 for the first FOUR games, but since then he has performed like....well, like Lester. I have no idea why some folks here believe he is the pitcher he was from 2008-2011 when he was, admittedly, dominant. He is not that guy any more. His velocity and his command continue to decrease. I am thrilled that he owns up to his debacle last night. If he owns up to every bad performance this year we will be hearing a lot from Jon Lester. Face it: he is not very good any more. A serviceable #4 SP; thats all he is.

IT'S ONE GAME, I'M NOT KIDDING AND YOU CAN FACE, WHAT YOU NEED TO, PUMPSIE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

well geo what do you expect from a bunch of fair weather red sox fans. why is it always what have you done for me lately eh? I mean, does anybody in here or out there really know what is going on with jon when he's not in the public eye? so quick to throw him under the bus. sheesh.

I think you guys are reading alot into peoples comments.....I for one said he is a talented and good pitcher...I just don't think he is a #1 ACE.....that is far from thinking he is lousy..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lester has nothing in common with Beckett. What he doesn't have is a stright change-up. Or ANY change-up that isn't telegraphed. He's also telegraphing his curve, and that's because he no longer has confidence in it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

IT'S ONE GAME, I'M NOT KIDDING YOU AND YOU CAN FACE WHATEVER YOU WANT.

How about the last TEN games? You like them? How about ALL LAST YEAR? Show me the EVIDENCE that supports the belief that Lester is better than a serviceable #3-4 SP now. I like Lester just fine. He is a fine person who has been through a lot. But on the field, he is now mediocre at best. Thats what his numbers say.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

No question he's in a rough patch, and he stunk last night, but let's not misrepresent it. Six starts ago, he beat the Rays by allowing 2 ER in 7 IP. The start before that, 9 IP, 1 H in a 5-0 win over Toronto.

If you want to say he's struggled his last five starts, I'd buy that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He has FOUR good games followed by TEN crappy ones-or at least ten that could not be defined as good. In every big game he lays an egg. Last year he stunk. No debate there. And his ERA is already at 4.12 and rising rapidly. The only thing wrong with Lester has nothing to do with him at all: its that some people have unrealistic expectations that he is a good #1 or 2 SP. He is not that guy any more. He was at one time. It would shock me to see him have an ERA below 4 this year. He will finish around 4.40 or so IMO. Mediocre.

Pumpsie, you could use a little tweaking in how you state things.  Lester hasn't had 10 crappy games IN A ROW.  After all, one of those ten games was a complete game one-hitter.  And the game after that was 7 innings, 2 runs.

And I'm not arguing that his trend is very troubling.  It is. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Pumpsie, you could use a little tweaking in how you state things.  Lester hasn't had 10 craapy games IN A ROW.  After all, one of those ten games was a complete game one-hitter.  And the game after that was 7 innings, 2 runs.

If it's not worth exaggerating, it's not worth stating.   Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

He is on pace for 15 wins which is his career average and his ERA for the year is a tad over his career ERA.

People just like to get mad and freak out about things.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

No question he's in a rough patch, and he stunk last night, but let's not misrepresent it. Six starts ago, he beat the Rays by allowing 2 ER in 7 IP. The start before that, 9 IP, 1 H in a 5-0 win over Toronto.

If you want to say he's struggled his last five starts, I'd buy that.

You are right: he does have SOME good games. They have not ALL been bad, but if you look at the sum of his work over the last ten games, its been horrible. His ERA over that time period is 5.09. Even #5 SP in baseball can throw a good game every now and then. His track record over the last year and a half has been pretty bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Pumpsie, you could use a little tweaking in how you state things.  Lester hasn't had 10 craapy games IN A ROW.  After all, one of those ten games was a complete game one-hitter.  And the game after that was 7 innings, 2 runs.

I am not able to easily calculate his ERA from the beginning of the 2012 season to now. That would be the most telling number IMO. Not these little 2, 4, or even 10 game patches. BR allows you to look at game logs from a single year. Later I will try to do it manually. Its not going to be a pretty result. Bottom line: no one should expect much more than inconsistency from Jon Lester this year with a few good games, a few horrible ones, and a lot of very mediocre ones. Thats who he is now.

Sections
Shortcuts