lester has beckettitis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: lester has beckettitis

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

He has FOUR good games followed by TEN crappy ones-or at least ten that could not be defined as good. In every big game he lays an egg. Last year he stunk. No debate there. And his ERA is already at 4.12 and rising rapidly. The only thing wrong with Lester has nothing to do with him at all: its that some people have unrealistic expectations that he is a good #1 or 2 SP. He is not that guy any more. He was at one time. It would shock me to see him have an ERA below 4 this year. He will finish around 4.40 or so IMO. Mediocre.

Pumpsie, you could use a little tweaking in how you state things.  Lester hasn't had 10 craapy games IN A ROW.  After all, one of those ten games was a complete game one-hitter.  And the game after that was 7 innings, 2 runs.

And I'm not arguing that his trend is very troubling.  It is. 

I am not able to easily calculate his ERA from the beginning of the 2012 season to now. That would be the most telling number IMO. Not these little 2, 4, or even 10 game patches. BR allows you to look at game logs from a single year. Later I will try to do it manually. Its not going to be a pretty result. Bottom line: no one should expect much more than inconsistency from Jon Lester this year with a few good games, a few horrible ones, and a lot of very mediocre ones. Thats who he is now.

Could you repeat that a few dozen more times?

I don't think everyone quite understands your position yet.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its one game? Are you kidding me? Lester has stunk for the last TEN games. His ERA has been over 5 during that period. In fact, he has STUNK for the last year and a half! Yeah, he had a great start where his ERA was 1.71 for the first FOUR games, but since then he has performed like....well, like Lester. I have no idea why some folks here believe he is the pitcher he was from 2008-2011 when he was, admittedly, dominant. He is not that guy any more. His velocity and his command continue to decrease. I am thrilled that he owns up to his debacle last night. If he owns up to every bad performance this year we will be hearing a lot from Jon Lester. Face it: he is not very good any more. A serviceable #4 SP; thats all he is.

No question he's in a rough patch, and he stunk last night, but let's not misrepresent it. Six starts ago, he beat the Rays by allowing 2 ER in 7 IP. The start before that, 9 IP, 1 H in a 5-0 win over Toronto.

If you want to say he's struggled his last five starts, I'd buy that.

Lloyd, when talking about Lester we have to go to the 1986 World Series. That was the last time baseball people have told us the truth. Tom Seaver says "I want to pitch a quality start, 6 innings 3 runs or less. Jim Palmer comments  thats a 4.50 ERA nothing quality about that. Lloyd, Palmer is right, quality start just BS by agents to get more money for thier clients. Lester last 10 games 2 real quality starts, everyone else ERA 4.50 or above. Lloyd I trust you, space, Notin &Moon would love a reply thanks 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

He has FOUR good games followed by TEN crappy ones-or at least ten that could not be defined as good. In every big game he lays an egg. Last year he stunk. No debate there. And his ERA is already at 4.12 and rising rapidly. The only thing wrong with Lester has nothing to do with him at all: its that some people have unrealistic expectations that he is a good #1 or 2 SP. He is not that guy any more. He was at one time. It would shock me to see him have an ERA below 4 this year. He will finish around 4.40 or so IMO. Mediocre.

Pumpsie, you could use a little tweaking in how you state things.  Lester hasn't had 10 craapy games IN A ROW.  After all, one of those ten games was a complete game one-hitter.  And the game after that was 7 innings, 2 runs.

I am not able to easily calculate his ERA from the beginning of the 2012 season to now. That would be the most telling number IMO. Not these little 2, 4, or even 10 game patches. BR allows you to look at game logs from a single year. Later I will try to do it manually. Its not going to be a pretty result. Bottom line: no one should expect much more than inconsistency from Jon Lester this year with a few good games, a few horrible ones, and a lot of very mediocre ones. Thats who he is now.

Yes. I can. And I will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Yes. I can. And I will.

Too bad we wont see that kind of commitment, if you should end up being wrong...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to NLU75's comment:

Lloyd, when talking about Lester we have to go to the 1986 World Series. That was the last time baseball people have told us the truth. Tom Seaver says "I want to pitch a quality start, 6 innings 3 runs or less. Jim Palmer comments  thats a 4.50 ERA nothing quality about that. Lloyd, Palmer is right, quality start just BS by agents to get more money for thier clients. Lester last 10 games 2 real quality starts, everyone else ERA 4.50 or above. Lloyd I trust you, space, Notin &Moon would love a reply thanks 

In certain situations, I would consider 6 IP/3 ER a quality start. For instance, if Aceves does it tonight against the Rays. Right here, right now, I'm saying I would definitely take that.

But what's a quality start for some is not for others. I expect more out of top of the line guys like Buchholz and Lester.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Lester has nothing in common with Beckett. What he doesn't have is a stright change-up. Or ANY change-up that isn't telegraphed. He's also telegraphing his curve, and that's because he no longer has confidence in it.

Interesting.  I don't think he is telegraphing, but absolutely agree he doesn't have a reliable curve or changeup--at least in his own mind, he doesn't--so consequently he relies way too much on his fastball.  I think the "telegraphing" isn't any signal he is sending, but the simple fact that hitters these days can sit on his fastball because he won't throw the other positions in tough counts. 

I also think Lester is fixable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

In response to tenchylfcnsox's comment:

He's a professional sportman who sets himself extremely high standards.

Would you rather he smiled and laughed after walking someone or allowing a HR? I'd rather he looked as miserable as I do when he comes out of the game without pitching 5 innings, when he looks like he doesn't care then I'd start to worry.

YNWA - JFT96

I take your point but he looks the same way when he piches a gem. like hes an arrogant grumpy pox bottle. His attitude stinks, same as Lacky

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to udontnojack's comment:

uncoachable headcase.even farrell,who knows pitching,says there is no problem with lesters physical skills.his best days are behind him.will be gone,if not this year,certainly before next season starts

To compare a stand-up guy, as Lester has always been, to the sporting world's No. 1 prima donna is rather disgusting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Lester is no ACE guy anyway.  He is more of Bruce Hurst than Roger Clemens.

Plus I watched every pitches that nite, half of them were horrible ones.   I dont know what is Lester thinking or what is Ross's thinking that nite.  Once time he got mad at one of Tampa Bay's batter when the batter called timeout.  Ever since that time out, he gave up quickly four runs.

Something is really wrong with him.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

Would you rather he smiled and laughed after walking someone or allowing a HR? I'd rather he looked as miserable as I do when he comes out of the game without pitching 5 innings, when he looks like he doesn't care then I'd start to worry.

YNWA - JFT96

I take your point but he looks the same way when he piches a gem. like hes an arrogant grumpy pox bottle. His attitude stinks, same as Lacky

What planet you watching the games on to make that kind of idiotic statement?

Not a thing has been said about his attitude. or Lackey's

Simply more crap made up by whining uniformed clowns like you.

What games do you watch Conan? Why does he stink so bad?  He's been one of the worst starters in all of baseball over the last month. Statistically, these are worst starters in all of baseball over last 30 days:

Rankings Trends Pitching Player Action Opp: 6/13 Owner O-Rank Rank % Owned IP* W SV K ERA WHIP Wily Peralta
    • (Mil - SP)
    Add player Add to Watch List     982 1309 2% 29.2 1 0 20 6.98 1.92 Jon Garland
    • (Col - SP)
    Add player Add to Watch List   Was FA 977 1308 0% 27.0 1 0 10 7.33 1.74 Wade Miley
    • (Ari - SP)
    Add player Add to Watch List   FA 233 1307 42% 34.1 1 0 22 7.34 1.57 Jon Lester
    • (Bos - SP)
    Drop player Add to Watch List   @Bal   116 1306 93% 37.0 1 0 27 6.08 1.73 Brandon Maurer
    • (Sea - SP)
    Add player Add to Watch List   FA 983 1305 0% 14.2 0 0 10 9.20 2.18 Edinson Volquez
    • (SD - SP)
    Add player Add to Watch List   FA 1000 1304 5% 26.0 1 0 25 8.31 1.81

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NLU75's comment:

In certain situations, I would consider 6 IP/3 ER a quality start. For instance, if Aceves does it tonight against the Rays. Right here, right now, I'm saying I would definitely take that.

But what's a quality start for some is not for others. I expect more out of top of the line guys like Buchholz and Lester

you are correct, I would take 6 inn & 3 runs. 7 inn. & 3 runs would be better, but lets not get greedy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i don't know Lester and his mental state, but he does look like a miserable man. Given his illness, recovery, god-given arm, and wealth, i would be very grateful. However like Calvin Coolide, he looks like he has been weaned on a pickle.

As always - 100% correct!

He does look a little miserable, but that doesn't mean he feels miserable.  Looked about the same when he was winning.  Just glad to hear him say he feels fine.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

+1, Lloyd and 4B's. Sox won one they probably shouldn't have Monday, lost one they probably should have won, last night. Yes, Lester was terrible. It's one game. let's move on

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

Its one game? Are you kidding me? Lester has stunk for the last TEN games. His ERA has been over 5 during that period. In fact, he has STUNK for the last year and a half! Yeah, he had a great start where his ERA was 1.71 for the first FOUR games, but since then he has performed like....well, like Lester. I have no idea why some folks here believe he is the pitcher he was from 2008-2011 when he was, admittedly, dominant. He is not that guy any more. His velocity and his command continue to decrease. I am thrilled that he owns up to his debacle last night. If he owns up to every bad performance this year we will be hearing a lot from Jon Lester. Face it: he is not very good any more. A serviceable #4 SP; thats all he is.

No vacillating in this thread...

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to WilburNU's comment:

Changed his mechanics. The rest is history.

Whatever he did, he has improved. He will need to be on top of his game for us to win the first series. He is still no ace; he will not match up well against other aces. But he has improved significantly.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He did fix his delivery around Aug 1st

He doesn't complain about calls as much

But he still complains about the mound

And refuses to back up bases

He may be our pitcher right now though

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

YNWA - JFT96

What planet you watching the games on to make that kind of idiotic statement?

Not a thing has been said about his attitude. or Lackey's

Simply more crap made up by whining uniformed clowns like you.

What games do you watch Conan? Why does he stink so bad?  He's been one of the worst starters in all of baseball over the last month. Statistically, these are worst starters in all of baseball over last 30 days:

Rankings Trends Pitching Player Action Opp: 6/13 Owner O-Rank Rank % Owned IP* W SV K ERA WHIP Wily Peralta

• (Mil - SP)

Add player Add to Watch List     982 1309 2% 29.2 1 0 20 6.98 1.92 Jon Garland

• (Col - SP)

Add player Add to Watch List   Was FA 977 1308 0% 27.0 1 0 10 7.33 1.74 Wade Miley

• (Ari - SP)

Add player Add to Watch List   FA 233 1307 42% 34.1 1 0 22 7.34 1.57 Jon Lester

• (Bos - SP)

Drop player Add to Watch List   @Bal   116 1306 93% 37.0 1 0 27 6.08 1.73 Brandon Maurer

• (Sea - SP)

Add player Add to Watch List   FA 983 1305 0% 14.2 0 0 10 9.20 2.18 Edinson Volquez

• (SD - SP)

Add player Add to Watch List  FA 1000 1304 5% 26.0 1 0 25 8.31 1.81

Did ADG seriously try to support his argument using data from a Yahoo Fantasy Baseball page?

I'm not sure I can accept arguments from someone who had Brandon Maurer on their FBB team...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to WilburNU's comment:

Changed his mechanics. The rest is history.

Don't engage with pike, he doesn't deserve it

I recognized him after I wrote my reply. Sometimes, if he behaves himself, its hard to tell him apart from a normal person. Mea culpa. Pike IS hopeless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

YNWA - JFT96

And Lester and Lackey are going 1/2 in the ALDS.  Interesting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i am a little shocked at seeing how many people here are attacking Lester as a lousy pitcher...he has been dominating earlier  this season and now is hitting a rough patch...but washed up? Really?

As always - 100% correct!

Okay, we give this round to Geo over ADG and Pumpsie.

Sections
Shortcuts