Lester Hometown Discount

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Lester Hometown Discount

Last night when discussing his impending free agency, Lester made a profound statement. He said he wanted to remain a Red Sox player for life. Don't believe him? He said he would accept a discounted contract to get it done. Wow! Didn't see this coming!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Lester Hometown Discount

Of course I believe him.  Pedroia did the same thing, and Lester said he agreed with Pedroia.  Here are a few good reasons for going that route--

1. Pedroia has more than enough money for the rest of his life and the lives of his kids.  Ellsbury is getting more, but he doesn't really need more to live a very comfortable life.  The exta money only pays for extravagance.

2. Farrell, Nieves, Cherington, Henry, et al, make this a good team to stay with.  Good clubhouse with Gomes, et al.    These are mostly the same people who stuck with him through the cancer episode (thankfully an episode).   Good clubhouse atmosphere amonth the players.  Napoli likes it enough to make a quick deal to stay.  Peavy bought the duck boat. 

3. Heckuva fan base.  Not me, of course, because I live in Springfield, VA.  But a heckuva fan base with an historic ballpark, sold out games, etc.

4. Great city, at least to visit.  I was born here (Winthrop, a suburb of Boston), but left after 6 months so we could rejoin my dad.  A ton of history.  Boston Commons.  The Charles River.  Cape Cod.  New England.  Great schools.  High cost of living, but people with a lot less money manage to live decently. 

5.  Pretty good team.  Three WS in the last 10 years, and most of the 2013 model are returning. 

That said, I hope Lester gets a good deal if not an extravagant one.  He is the ace on one of the best pitching staffs in MLB, and he sure as heck delivered last year.  Not too shabby in 2007 either. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Last night when discussing his impending free agency, Lester made a profound statement. He said he wanted to remain a Red Sox player for life. Don't believe him? He said he would accept a discounted contract to get it done. Wow! Didn't see this coming!

His statements about wanting to stay and his willingness to negotiate in good faith are both signs that he and the Sox have already begun laying the ground work for an extension. Which is god news. Certainly better than the alternative if indeed both parties have the same goals.

Loyalty can be a powerful elixir... I do believe that his statements are genuine and his desire to finish his career in a Red Sox uniform come from his heart. Lester has a chance to join a select club of former players who have become part of the fabric of the franchise and are seen as iconic figures throughout New England. His red Sox resume and involvement in the community speak to many of the reason why both he and the Sox should and i believe will come to an agreement...He's a home grown talent, played a significant role in helping the Sox to win three world series titles after 86 years of gloom...all of which have helped shape his current standing with the organization and the city....in the end Lester embodies all of the attributes a team looks for in terms of intangibles along with his involvement in the jimmy Fund... not unlike Pedrioa... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I forget where I heard this, but I thought someone said that Lester was looking for a Dustin Pedroia type deal.  So perhaps if we are willing to 7+ years with him he is willing to take a much lower AAV.  I still expect him to get paid and get over 100 million but if this is the mentality he has......sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I had mentioned that I didn't think Lester was all about the money. Good to see the leader of our staff, along with Pedey, setting a good example of how it should be. Lester takes being happy, comfortable and still very well off to stay in Boston. 18-20M per maybe? 5 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF WIN!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Lester's attitude is a very good sign for the future of the team.  This is the same attitude that carried them through the 2013 season.  They truly want to be in Boston with their teammates, and if it costs them a little money, then it does.

These two players seem to have "gotten it", gotten what some of us have been saying here for some time. Being a premier player in MLB guarantees that player enough money to take care of any reasonable wants that player might have for the rest of his life and the lives of his kids.  Why be a mercenary, go someplace you don't want to go, and risk playing with people you don't want to play with when you're financially set for the rest of your life and what you want is right in Boston?

They obviously don't see their personal worth as being what the market can command for their services.  Instead they see their worth as what they bring to the team.  Let's hope that attitude becomes a model to players like Bogarts and JBJ.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Just show him little respect and Lester will gladly come back.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just show him little respect and Lester will gladly come back.  

[/QUOTE]

Yup, it should get done during spring training.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Id like to see that lester is going to be a good pitcher year to year. I tend to believe that his one bad year was an aberation, but it still kind of scares me giving out a big contract to a guy who showed flashes of being the mediocre to bad pitcher he was in 2011. But if he comes out strong out of the gate this year i have now problem throwing down a 6/120 deal to him.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

RES!  Long time no see!!  Hope you're doing well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey S5!  Ive been busy with the new job. We finally just started up our project And ive been working 10 hour days four days a week. It's a bit tiring but it sure is nice having a three day weekend to come and talk some baseball (since sadly football is over).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey S5!  Ive been busy with the new job. We finally just started up our project And ive been working 10 hour days four days a week. It's a bit tiring but it sure is nice having a three day weekend to come and talk some baseball (since sadly football is over).

[/QUOTE]hey res ..what's doin bud...Happy New Year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Lester may give the Red Sox a hometown discount.  But I still think that it is going to take at least a 6 or 7-year deal of around $20 million per year to get it done.  Other teams will compete with the Red Sox for his services.  

Nothing in free agency surprises me anymore.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had mentioned that I didn't think Lester was all about the money. Good to see the leader of our staff, along with Pedey, setting a good example of how it should be. Lester takes being happy, comfortable and still very well off to stay in Boston. 18-20M per maybe? 5 years.

[/QUOTE]

I suspect that his battle with cancer had something to do with his perspective. Facing death has a way of putting the real value of money in its proper place in life. I think he will get a deal with the Sox sooner rather than later, probably in the neighborhood you stated.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester may give the Red Sox a hometown discount.  But I still think that it is going to take at least a 6 or 7-year deal of around $20 million per year to get it done.  Other teams will compete with the Red Sox for his services.  

Nothing in free agency surprises me anymore.  

[/QUOTE]

Not if he signs an extension this year, IC

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if i was Ben C i would do it TODAY.  imagine they can lock down Lester (a PROVEN mlb starter in ALE) to a 5-6 year deal @ $15-18MM per?  right after the yankees paid more for unproven?  the headlines would be epic.

PLEASE BEN....DO THIS....NOW!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'm sure this will be done by the end of ST.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Hey S5!  Ive been busy with the new job.We finally just started up our project And ive been working 10 hour days four days a week. It's a bit tiring but it sure is nice having a three day weekend to come and talk some baseball (since sadly football is over).

Congrats, RES!! Good to hear. Best of luck. Wondered what happened. So the hiatus was worth it
    Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

agree with you all that the red sox should get it done asap before Lester changed his mind.  But I strongly think that Lester have seen too many greedy ball players going to another team and failed to honor their big fat contracts like Pujols, Hamilton, Texeria, Sabathia, soon to be Ellsbury, etc.  Also they get more bashing from fans than the ones who like to stay loyalty to the team.   Lester know it is no difference to make 15 millions a year to 22 millions dollars a year cuz he know how to finance his money for the rest of his life.  

More loyalty on the team, the chemistry of the team can last longer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Lester ended the interview, which wasn't in print saying "Who wants to go somewhere else  to make more and s uck"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If I was his Agent I would be ticked off, after the Kershaw, and Tanaka deals. Maybe 22 million a year for Hometown Discount? If Tanaka can get 20 million a year and never Pitched in MLB......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I was his Agent I would be ticked off, after the Kershaw, and Tanaka deals.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it must suck to be an agent for a player who has a mind of his own. /s/

(no offense intended, T  :-)  )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey R3S!!! Same here. Been busy with a radio project. I've posted a couple times, but not nearly as much. Should be less hectic by opening day. hope the new job is going well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suspect that his battle with cancer had something to do with his perspective. Facing death has a way of putting the real value of money in its proper place in life. I think he will get a deal with the Sox sooner rather than later, probably in the neighborhood you stated.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe even slightly higher, but you can bet it will go at least 5-6 years. fans gotta remember how much value he has already given us so far for our money. We can, and should offer a fair amount. I'd even go in the neighborhood of 6/120MM. If they do go 7 yrs, the annual salary might go down. either way, he's going to be about 20MM per. That's fair IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts