Lester Hometown Discount

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Lester Hometown Discount

Good to see another guy who gets it. Most of these guys make enough $ for generations of their family. Why not try to stay in a place where your family enjoys, give you a great chance to succed personally, possibly win another WS or 2, and be loved by RS fans for the rest of your life. Lets hope they get it done before ST ends so we don't have to be hearing about this during the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

What about possible wrinkles / variations involving vesting, team options, buyouts and player opt outs?

I wouldn't mind offering more front loaded if we got something on the back end if things were going well -- or if they weren't!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good response.....  Lester is a smart kid, h now puts the ball into Ben's lap.....  Big question, how many years ???    Interesting PAPI will be the odd man ou in this "calm" contract talk !!

I'll hate myself for asking this, but what does Papi have to do with Lester?

[/QUOTE]

......I hate you for asking that.....   Wink

[/QUOTE]

C'mon guys.  Bill is making an effort to become "one of the boys".  He put up an entire post without talking politics in any way.  Let's offer positive encouragement. 

I see 5 years, maybe six which is probably one too many, but after this year he deserves consideration for what he did.  Let's just hope he keeps his head on straight so he doesn't end up like Beckett with half of RSN looking for a bucket of tar and feathers.  We're a crotchety bunch here, ya know!  Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I loved hearing Lester's comments but a hometown discount is relative.

6/108 (18 MM) is a serious hometown discount.  6/138 (23 MM) is a slight hometown discount.  I think that he could get 6/144 or 6/150 on the open market (if he has a similar 2014 to his 2013).

I would love to see Lester back, but only if he takes that serious discount.  Maybe 109.9 MM over 6 (just below Pedey's 110MM)?

He just turned 30 on January 7 and would be 36 during the final season of a 6 year extension.  36 for a pitcher of Jon's stature (6'4'' , 240 lbs) is not really that old.  I would agree that he would be regressing at that point, but he would have likely already earned his money in the first 4-5 years of the contract.

Hopefully he will take that kind of deal and I can root for Jon for the next 7 years!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What about possible wrinkles / variations involving vesting, team options, buyouts and player opt outs?

I wouldn't mind offering more front loaded if we got something on the back end if things were going well -- or if they weren't!

[/QUOTE]

I think that could help us.  We could give him a shorter contract, for slightly less money, with two relatively favorable vesting options.  You could add option years for less money, to reflect lower productivity when he hits 35, that way no one is hurt.

For example, if you throw 175 IPs at age 34, you automatically get $16M at age 35.  If you throw another 175, maybe you get $14M at age 36.  And $12M at age 37.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Plus the only guys that really have the ceiling to replace Lester are Webster, Owens and Ball.  And none of them are a sure thing.  All three very well may end up good MLB pitchers but not as good as Lester.

I'm not sure the Sox organization has given up on de la Rosa as a starter yet, but I'd say he has a high "ceiling". That would make 4.

Also, there are times a pitching prospect not viewed as having "ace quality stuff", end up becomming an ace or solid #2 picther over time. I feel we have a large quantity of guys like this, so many in fact, that I feel 1 or 2 are bound to surprise us in a good way. I doubt it will be in 2014, but this is a mighty deep list:

Webster

de la Rosa

Owens

Ball

then some possible solid 2-3s ...

Barnes

Ranaudo

Stankiewicz

Callahan

L Diaz

and some possible good 3-4s:

Workman

Britton

B Johnson

Mercedes

Buttrey

Kukuk

McGrath

I'd like to see a little more quality over quantity, but the list is deep and strong.

Sections
Shortcuts