Lester: Looked real good! Sounded even better!!! :)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Lester: Looked real good! Sounded even better!!! :)

"Sucking sets you up for a good season.  Keeping the ball down in the zone.  All the things I DIDN'T DO last year.  Humbled!  Embarrassed!"

He sounds READY for 2013!  Sounds like he's ready to turn the page!

17 - 20 wins?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Lester: Looked real good! Sounded even better!!! :)

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

"Sucking sets you up for a good season.  Keeping the ball down in the zone.  All the things I DIDN'T DO last year.  Humbled!  Embarrassed!"

He sounds READY for 2013!  Sounds like he's ready to turn the page!

17 - 20 wins?

hard to say how many wins he will get since there are so many variables... However, an ERA of 3.2-3.5 and a WHIP of 1.150-1.200 are my expectations from him this season.

Definitely seems ready to put 2012 behind him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Obviously run support will be his biggest challenge / unknown.  Can the new position players step up & give the SR above par run support?  It will be the difference between Lester winning 14 or 17 - 20.  Defense is the least talked about factor.  We are relatively weak at the corners with Naps & Middlebrooks.  LF & RF could also be an issue??? 

We better score runs!  Not to be negative....   just how I see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As long as Lester has an ERA below 3.50, I will be happy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

As long as Lester has an ERA below 3.50, I will be happy. 

If he still wants to be considered an "ACE," he needs to be sub 3.00 ERA + or - a point.  I honestly think he's capable of being close to that, if he keeps his head in the game.  Big IF though!  Can he shake off the tough calls & use them to fuel a burning focused fire, or do they continue to derail him?

As I said in the OP, I like what he's saying since Farrell gave him a propper spanking.  Perhaps more than run support or D, this will likely be the determinant factor in having a really good / great year, as opposed to another average / below average year!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Eating grapefruit....

Lester 0.00 ERA

Lackey 9.00 ERA

Very telling :)

Lackey rejecting the health food already???

Lester tired of sucking lemons!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Rubby DeLaRosa looked even more impressive! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Eating grapefruit....

Lester 0.00 ERA

Lackey 9.00 ERA

seriously? there's over reaction.... then there is this.

its ST dude, it's not meant to showcase talent if your a vet. It's to get into the swing of things. IDC if Lackey/dempster/Lester/Buch give up 20 runs apiece throughout ST as long as they get stretched out and get their pitches working.

Now the younger guys on the other hand, pay attention to them. They are actually competing for a spot and their performance will reflect that. Which is why i am much much more impressed with RDLRs outing than Lesters

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice step for Lester, let's hope he keeps on track.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Lester looked great in his side session. Based on warmups, it's quite clear he's going to win around 20 games. The key is to watch players in warmups. If they look "real good", you know they are going to have a big year.

I think people might be hoping that Lester reverts to his career norms.  Do you think career norms have any bearing on predicting success?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Eating grapefruit....

Lester 0.00 ERA

Lackey 9.00 ERA

Your juding Lackey after 1 IP in his 1st game pitched after 1.5 years off and TJS? Id let him settle in first before I would say its very "telling". Unless that was just a little tounge and cheek of course :)

I expect Lester to be back to his usual TOTR form. 15+ wins, an ERA in the low-mid 3 and a WHIP around 1.2...Who knows, maybe even be back in the Cy Young talks like he has been a few times before.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

pass the grapefruit.

Sit on the cactus.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Rubby DeLaRosa looked even more impressive! 

that dude throws some gas...Dodgers may rue this one..

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I really liked what he said afterwards. "just tryin to get my feet back under me." I found his humility to be honest and sincere. I even liked what Lack had to say too. how it just felt great to take the mound and try and hit salties mitt. for having missed the entire season last year I was not displeased to see big John only let in 1 run with the bases loaded and nobody out. all he can do is improve each time he gets the ball. it's just great to see our guys back on the field and playing totally meaningless games.

Note to Jetes! sorry to hear about your guy grandy getting his arm broken on the first pitch yesterday. Jetes, have you thought about how many homeruns your team is gonna not have this year? No Arod. No Swisher and now no grandyman for atleast 10 weeks. as your buddy and as a sox fan I feel your pain.......not to severely but I do feel it pal. ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

I really liked what he said afterwards. "just tryin to get my feet back under me." I found his humility to be honest and sincere. I even liked what Lack had to say too. how it just felt great to take the mound and try and hit salties mitt. for having missed the entire season last year I was not displeased to see big John only let in 1 run with the bases loaded and nobody out. all he can do is improve each time he gets the ball. it's just great to see our guys back on the field and playing totally meaningless games.

Note to Jetes! sorry to hear about your guy grandy getting his arm broken on the first pitch yesterday. Jetes, have you thought about how many homeruns your team is gonna not have this year? No Arod. No Swisher and now no grandyman for atleast 10 weeks. as your buddy and as a sox fan I feel your pain.......not to severely but I do feel it pal. ;-)

hey Big D...no doubt a giant ouch to start the year, it's the other side of the coin for the Yanks, people complain all they do is hit homers, now it's criticism for not having any home run hitters..hey, i get it...not that i expect them to turn into the Rays(offense wise) but they didn't do too bad singling and doubling teams to death, then again we didn't trot out that kind of pitching daily, imo Yanks just need to stay in the mix, while possibly dodging further injury...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Eating grapefruit....

Lester 0.00 ERA

Lackey 9.00 ERA

seriously? there's over reaction.... then there is this.

its ST dude, it's not meant to showcase talent if your a vet. It's to get into the swing of things. IDC if Lackey/dempster/Lester/Buch give up 20 runs apiece throughout ST as long as they get stretched out and get their pitches working.

Now the younger guys on the other hand, pay attention to them. They are actually competing for a spot and their performance will reflect that. Which is why i am much much more impressed with RDLRs outing than Lesters

Dude!  :)  There's reaction, then there's over-reaction.  As in this post.

Tongue in cheek.  Tongue in cheek....

Yes!  I was the guy bashing Lackey since he stepped foot in ST 2010....  BUT....  I'm also the guy who is willing to give him one more shot! 

I did have to take one funny little rediculous shot though :)  Relax....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Eating grapefruit....

Lester 0.00 ERA

Lackey 9.00 ERA

Your juding Lackey after 1 IP in his 1st game pitched after 1.5 years off and TJS? Id let him settle in first before I would say its very "telling". Unless that was just a little tounge and cheek of course :)

I expect Lester to be back to his usual TOTR form. 15+ wins, an ERA in the low-mid 3 and a WHIP around 1.2...Who knows, maybe even be back in the Cy Young talks like he has been a few times before.

LOL!!!!  :)

This is funny!  I guess I need to hashtag my posts...  I should always question myself when I think things are obvious???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

pass the grapefruit.

Did you guys happen to miss the post I was playing off of?????  :)  Come on fellas...

Let's have a little fun this year!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

p.s.   Now that you mention it, I guess I shouldn't judge Lester based on what?  24 pitches???

You have to admit, it's ok to say a guy "looked good" in ST, based on very little, but we definitely don't want to judge a guy who was so so, based on the same next to nothing representation.

Having said all this........  Now that I think about it, I've heard this same song & dance from Lackey in ST, about "hitting his spots," while getting rocked.  It does give me pause.  As I've said, I'm really pulling for him!  I like the way he sounds!  I like the way he looks!  He seems like a different guy.  BUT.....  I've heard all this before.  Why do some guys come in to ST rocking on all cylinders, while others struggle to "hit their spots?" 

If we're gonna say that Lester looked GREAT, which he did, can't we say that Lackey looked like lackey????  Starting out at about a 9.00 ERA....  Just asking???  Provocative?  Sure!  Why the hell not? 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Fair.  I have different moods.  Sometimes within minutes.  I actually have the capacity to hold two or 3 divergent thoughts in my head at the same time.  I know it's a new concept to some, but opinions are not mutually exclusive of eachother. 

What I honestly think?  Lester looked damn good!!!

Lackey looked about like I expected.  Could have been rocked for a lot more.  He did hit his spots from what I saw on limited pitch count.