lester looks like crap tonite.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: lester looks like crap tonite.

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Actually, the Rangers are not one of the best offenses in the AL this year, surprisingly. They are SEVENTH of the 15 AL teams, quite ordinary. They are surviving on pitching mostly this year. So Lester allowed 3 ER in six innings against what is an pretty ordinary offense so far. In his last start, another big game against the Yankees, he allowed 4 ER in 7 IP for an ingame ERA of 5.14. The Yankees now rank TENTH in runs scored in the AL. Those were two big games against contending teams and Lester was very mediocre at best. Would you be happy with a season ERA of 5.14 or 4.50?

Finally, don't blame the umps for "squeezing" Lester. The umps have been horrible all year but they didn't single him out. Blaming the umps is a copout. Lester is just not that good any more, even though he pitches for the Red Sox. Its hard to swallow. He WAS very good for several years; that is no longer the case.

You're kind of cherry-picking here. Yes, the Rangers are seventh in the AL in runs scored, but they're 10th out of 30 MLB teams. They're averaging more runs than the Braves, the Yankees, and the red-hot Diamondbacks.

Of the 30 MLB teams, the Rangers rank sixth in batting average and fourth in home runs.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Actually, the Rangers are not one of the best offenses in the AL this year, surprisingly. They are SEVENTH of the 15 AL teams, quite ordinary. They are surviving on pitching mostly this year. So Lester allowed 3 ER in six innings against what is an pretty ordinary offense so far. In his last start, another big game against the Yankees, he allowed 4 ER in 7 IP for an ingame ERA of 5.14. The Yankees now rank TENTH in runs scored in the AL. Those were two big games against contending teams and Lester was very mediocre at best. Would you be happy with a season ERA of 5.14 or 4.50?

Finally, don't blame the umps for "squeezing" Lester. The umps have been horrible all year but they didn't single him out. Blaming the umps is a copout. Lester is just not that good any more, even though he pitches for the Red Sox. Its hard to swallow. He WAS very good for several years; that is no longer the case.

You're kind of cherry-picking here. Yes, the Rangers are seventh in the AL in runs scored, but they're 10th out of 30 MLB teams. They're averaging more runs than the Braves, the Yankees, and the red-hot Diamondbacks.

Of the 30 MLB teams, the Rangers rank sixth in batting average and fourth in home runs.

Lloyd, I don't think you can compare the NL to the AL in runs scored easily. The NL teams average about 9% fewer runs overall-no DH. I think its more relevant to compare AL team to AL teams.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

The frustrating thing about Lester is we all know he has the ability to be a #1.

Not true. Lester is a serviceable #3-4 SP. He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

Hey fool I said he has the ABILITY to be a #1 not that he was one, your clearly not a #1 reader.  

Who the hell cares if he has the ABILITY to be a #1 if he is pitching like a #3? How idiotic. I suppose you will be happier if he promises to pitch like a #1 from how on too, right? Its R-E-S-U-L-T-S that count. Not ability....not potential....just RESULTS. Sad that I have to explain this to you. Besides, who of any repute whatsoever says he even has that ability any more? You? Look at his results.....fool.

Verlander has the ABILITY to pitch like a #1 but he certainly hasn't recently so I guess that makes him a #3 or 4 now right. Lester is 6-2 w/ a WHIP of 1.18. that's solid. He didn't have his best stuff early on last night but still held an excellent hitting team to 3 runs thruogh 6 full but your right it's results only gm. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Since when is going 7 and giving up 3 runs a crappy start?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Since when is going 7 and giving up 3 runs a crappy start?

Yankees: four runs in seven; Rangers: three runs in six. Both mediocre.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

The frustrating thing about Lester is we all know he has the ability to be a #1.

Not true. Lester is a serviceable #3-4 SP. He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

Sometimes it becomes apparent that you are either trolling or you know nothing about baseball. If you think Lester is a 3- 4 that means you think there are 70 to 100- better starting pitchers than Lester.

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Not true. Lester is a serviceable #3-4 SP.He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

Sometimes it becomes apparent that you are either trolling or you know nothing about baseball. If you think Lester is a 3- 4 that means you think there are 70 to 100- better starting pitchers than Lester.

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

FTW!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Not true. Lester is a serviceable #3-4 SP.He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

He just doesn't like Lester. He said once he was service 3-4 and posted the ERA of like ten number 3's and Lester had a better ERA than all of them implying that he would be a 2. Pumpsie needs to be negative, it is part of him. He is a smart guy, but can really get hung up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

He just doesn't like Lester. He said once he was service 3-4 and posted the ERA of like ten number 3's and Lester had a better ERA than all of them implying that he would be a 2. Pumpsie needs to be negative, it is part of him. He is a smart guy, but can really get hung up.

Thats not quite correct. First, I like Lester just fine. He has been through hell and back with his cancer. What I do not like is that he is overrated here by some people. The stats I posted (and really don't want to have to dig up again) showed that among contending teams Lester had numbers more similar to or worse than #3 SP for most teams with good pitching, making the bold assumption that we will need good pitching to compete for the playoffs and a ring. Its fair to say that Lester is not a #2 SP any more. He was at one time-and maybe even better than that-but he is not that good any more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not true. L ester is a serviceable #3-4 SP.He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

Thats not quite correct. First, I like Lester just fine. He has been through hell and back with his cancer. What I do not like is that he is overrated here by some people. The stats I posted (and really don't want to have to dig up again) showed that among contending teams Lester had numbers more similar to or worse than #3 SP for most teams with good pitching, making the bold assumption that we will need good pitching to compete for the playoffs and a ring. Its fair to say that Lester is not a #2 SP any more. He was at one time-and maybe even better than that-but he is not that good any more.

Besides a couple AL teams (Detroit/Texas) Lester would be a #2 on basically all the other teams. Tigers and Texas pitching is just awesome though. Maybe theres 1-4 teams he'd be a #3on based on his stats so far. Long way to go though and a couple of those names ahead of him have been pretty lucky so far and/or havent gone deep into games.

of the top 50 AL pitchers heres where Lester ranks in a few categories....

ERA 19th - 3.60

WHIP T-15th 1.18

K/BB ratio 25th

K/9  25th

IP 6th

K's  15th

Wins   Tied with 8 other players with 6- 10th

WAR  24  1.4

Like Ive said, and I'll stick to it, Lester has been a TOTR pitcher his whole career and stumbled in 2012. Hes still a #2 on most AL teams right now as his numbers here would suggest. If we were going by ERA alone, Lacky would be our #2. Lester hasnt looked as sharp as he has pre-2012. Im not one to complain about K-Zones, but hes really not getting balls that are one the corners called strikes this year for whatever reason. Still a long way to go this year though. What he is doing is going deep into games and giving his team a good chance to win, which the team has done a lot more than not. He has 1 CG and 7 QS. You cant say, judging by the stats, that hes a 3 or a 4. Maybe on 2-4 teams that are just pitching out of their minds this year, but on about 12 AL teams he would be a #2 or even a #1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Not true. L ester is a serviceable #3-4 SP.He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

Besides a couple AL teams (Detroit/Texas) Lester would be a #2 on basically all the other teams. Tigers and Texas pitching is just awesome though. Maybe theres 1-4 teams he'd be a #3on based on his stats so far. Long way to go though and a couple of those names ahead of him have been pretty lucky so far and/or havent gone deep into games.

ERA 19th - 3.60

WHIP T-15th 1.18

K/BB ratio 25th

K/9  25th

IP 6th

K's  15th

WAR  24  1.4

Like Ive said, and I'll stick to it, Lester has been a TOTR pitcher his whole career and stumbled in 2012. Hes still a #2 on most AL teams right now as his numbers here would suggest. If we were going by ERA alone, Lacky would be our #2. Lester hasnt looked as sharp as he has pre-2012. Im not one to complain about K-Zones, but hes really not getting balls that are one the corners called strikes this year for whatever reason. Still a long way to go this year though. What he is doing is going deep into games and giving his team a good chance to win, which the team has done a lot more than not. He has 1 CG and 7 QS. You cant say, judging by the stats, that hes a 3 or a 4. Maybe on 2-4 teams that are just pitching out of their minds this year, but on about 12 AL teams he would be a #2 or even a #1.

Great post....Lester would be a #1 for Baltimore...a #2 in NY aren't those contenders. Texas has Holland and Darvish ahead of him....but it's not by that much...Detroit has Sanchez, Fister and Scherzer pitching better than him...so he would be a #4 there....but ahead of Verlander.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Name 50.

Oh you can't?

I know.

ERA 19th - 3.60

WHIP T-15th 1.18

K/BB ratio 25th

K/9  25th

IP 6th

K's  15th

WAR  24  1.4

Great post....Lester would be a #1 for Baltimore...a #2 in NY aren't those contenders. Texas has Holland and Darvish ahead of him....but it's not by that much...Detroit has Sanchez, Fister and Scherzer pitching better than him...so he would be a #4 there....but ahead of Verlander.

Thanks.

I can understand some here might not have as much faith in Lester as they did in the past. But facts are facts. Hes a #2 on most teams. Numbers dont lie. Its still early, so things will change. Hopefully for the best. Im a Lester fan and I believe he can still improve in a couple areas this year. His numbers are still very good though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Like Ive said, and I'll stick to it, Lester has been a TOTR pitcher his whole career and stumbled in 2012. Hes still a #2 on most AL teams right now as his numbers here would suggest. If we were going by ERA alone, Lacky would be our #2. Lester hasnt looked as sharp as he has pre-2012. Im not one to complain about K-Zones, but hes really not getting balls that are one the corners called strikes this year for whatever reason. Still a long way to go this year though. What he is doing is going deep into games and giving his team a good chance to win, which the team has done a lot more than not. He has 1 CG and 7 QS. You cant say, judging by the stats, that hes a 3 or a 4. Maybe on 2-4 teams that are just pitching out of their minds this year, but on about 12 AL teams he would be a #2 or even a #1

I already admitted here that if Lester can maintain a 3.60  ERA or thereabouts the Sox will be in pretty good shape this year. Thats about where he is right now. In addition, I have already posted that his first four starts were stellar: ERA: 1.73. Since then, in his last nine starts his ERA has been 4.42. I don't think thats far off from where he will end up, and I don't think last year was a total aberration. IF I am right about where he will end up (about 4.20-4.40) EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE AL EXCEPT THE BLUE JAYS will have a better #2 SP than we do if you think Lester is our #2. I realize its a leap for people to believe that he will sink to that ERA, but look at his last nine games for a clue for the direction he is headed.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Like Ive said, and I'll stick to it, Lester has been a TOTR pitcher his whole career and stumbled in 2012. Hes still a #2 on most AL teams right now as his numbers here would suggest. If we were going by ERA alone, Lacky would be our #2. Lester hasnt looked as sharp as he has pre-2012. Im not one to complain about K-Zones, but hes really not getting balls that are one the corners called strikes this year for whatever reason. Still a long way to go this year though. What he is doing is going deep into games and giving his team a good chance to win, which the team has done a lot more than not. He has 1 CG and 7 QS. You cant say, judging by the stats, that hes a 3 or a 4. Maybe on 2-4 teams that are just pitching out of their minds this year, but on about 12 AL teams he would be a #2 or even a #1

I already admitted here that if Lester can maintain a 3.60  ERA or thereabouts the Sox will be in pretty good shape this year. Thats about where he is right now. In addition, I have already posted that his first four starts were stellar: ERA: 1.73. Since then, in his last nine starts his ERA has been 4.42. I don't think thats far off from where he will end up, and I don't think last year was a total aberration. IF I am right about where he will end up (about 4.20-4.40) EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE AL EXCEPT THE BLUE JAYS will have a better #2 SP than we do if you think Lester is our #2. I realize its a leap for people to believe that he will sink to that ERA, but look at his last nine games for a clue for the direction he is headed.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

I think we agree on this PG. Im just speaking on the "here and now". I have stated that I have concerns about Lester as well. The numbers say hes a #2 right now, not a 3 or 4. We also agree that if he does slip to the ERA you suggest, he will then be a middle of the rotation starter. I have no issue thinking that this is certainly a possibility. I think he can do better, but I also think its very possible for him to go the other way too. Like I said, theres a long way to go.

Sections
Shortcuts