Lester must be our #2 starter in 2013 season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Lester must be our #2 starter in 2013 season.

Not because he had his worst season in 2012, not because he's not an ace.  Don't get me wrong.  Lester is an elite starter, he just doesn't have the dominant stuff.  Lester was a pitcher who had the highest qualifying winning percentage in history of baseball before this season.  I love Lester but let the truth to be told.  He lacks dominancy on the mound.  Lester has 9 CG and 2 SHO in his career.  I think that's not impressive numbers if you are an ace of big market contending team.  Sabathia (35 & 12), Verlander (20 & 6), Weaver (11 & 6), Felix (23 & 9) show dominancy when pitching.  For better results in 2013, Sox have to after #1 starter, not #2 or 3.  It's going to be creative, expensive in both $$$ and prospects.  But our biggest problem was SP this year even without Lackey for entire season.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Lester must be our #2 starter in 2013 season.

The reason that Lester lacks in CG has to do with the fact early on he threw so many pitchs. He would threw about 20 pitches per inning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Not because he had his worst season in 2012, not because he's not an ace.  Don't get me wrong.  Lester is an elite starter, he just doesn't have the dominant stuff.  Lester was a pitcher who had the highest qualifying winning percentage in history of baseball before this season.  I love Lester but let the truth to be told.  He lacks dominancy on the mound.  Lester has 9 CG and 2 SHO in his career.  I think that's not impressive numbers if you are an ace of big market contending team.  Sabathia (35 & 12), Verlander (20 & 6), Weaver (11 & 6), Felix (23 & 9) show dominancy when pitching.  For better results in 2013, Sox have to after #1 starter, not #2 or 3.  It's going to be creative, expensive in both $$$ and prospects.  But our biggest problem was SP this year even without Lackey for entire season.   

Having an ace can be overrated. Look at the Tigers. They have an ace and a strong No. 2, but then the rest of the staff falls off the cliff. If Lester and Buchholz pitch up to their ability, the Sox need another pitcher of that level -- whether it's Lackey or someone else -- and at least quality at 4 and 5.

Quality and depth is more important than an ace. Look at the 2001 team. Pedro was great but then there was nothing.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pike's comment:

Ace? #1 or #5 ? Who cares? Wer just want five good starting pitchers. Ranking each pitcher from #1 to #5 is a a futile excercise. Why bother?

Exactly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

The Sox need an ace, hopefully one of their prospects can develop into that. Lester will never be that guy because he can usually only go 5 innings with 120 pitches.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The #1, #2, "ace" pitching designations have become so overvalued and overused, one would think they were closing games for the Angels...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to pike's comment:

Ace? #1 or #5 ? Who cares? Wer just want five good starting pitchers. Ranking each pitcher from #1 to #5 is a a futile excercise. Why bother?

Hey Pike, I would totally agree with you on that except that in our own case that was proven wrong.  Most always you are right on that but in 2004 and 2007 when we won it all we had an ace both seasons.  In 2004, we has Schilling with a 21-6 mark and 3-0 in the post-season.  Three years later we had Beckett with a 20-7 record and 4-0 in the post season.  Both years we had a pretty decent No. 2 man in Pedro Martinez and Dice K. Matsuzaka.  I guess for us we need that big horse leading the rotation.  Personally I wish we would have one next season.  It seems to work for us.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

how can one be "elite" but not have "dominant stuff" ?????

Exactly what is "stuff" anyhow?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

how can one be "elite" but not have "dominant stuff" ?????

Just look at Romney... LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't want to look at Romeny anymore than I do Obama... Romney is a terrible choice and for one claiming he can run a nation he cannot even run his campaign. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Vote Green, it's the only choice that matters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need a viable 3rd and maybe even 4th party.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes for a Democratic Nation the two main parties do a very undemocratic thing by surpressing other parties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Yes for a Democratic Nation the two main parties do a very undemocratic thing by surpressing other parties.

Actually, it's the single member district electoral system for the houses of representatives that suppress third parties. Under proportional representation the Green Party might already have a strong voice in American Politics. But I'm of the strong opinion that the American Republic has been hopelessly subverted by the Plutocrats and wannabe Plutocrats already.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

political hijack?

Back to the point of the discussion...

I would rather have 5 Lesters or Buchholz' that one "ace" and 4 OK pitchers. its better if you can get 15+ wins out of 3-4 guys than one...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

The difference between the 4 guys you mentioned, and Jon Lester is those 4 are power pitchers with plus plus secondary stuff. Jon Lester has a high school curve all and change up that he just shows. He does not get any cheap outs off it like the other guys do. He has relied over the yrs on his fb and cutter, and now that he is losing velo his cutter isn't, as effective.....do you remember Ron Guidry? Meet Jon Lester....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

You all are missing the point.  Sure I would love to have 5 solid starters who wouldn't?? My point is we need an Ace (names like I mentioned in the original post) who can be used in an opening day starter, who can match up with other aces, who can be used in must win game, whom we can rely on and watch his dominant pitching. 

Which rotation would you guys pick?

Felix, Lester, Buch, Doub, Lackey (IMO, this 1-2-3 can be the best trio in MLB)

OR

Lester, Buch, Vargas, Edwin Jackson, Doub (these are 5 good pitchers Sox realistically can have in 2013)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Actually, it's the single member district electoral system for the houses of representatives that suppress third parties. Under proportional representation the Green Party might already have a strong voice in American Politics. But I'm of the strong opinion that the American Republic has been hopelessly subverted by the Plutocrats and wannabe Plutocrats already.

They have set up the house districts to encourage extreme members to win. Very few house races are competitive anymore. Only the primaries are, and more and more the centrist candidates are being voted out.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

You need a solid # 1 who's consistent in winning and stopping slides...a la Clemens, Pedro........you could always depend on them to stop a losing slide and lead the pitching staff by their on the field game. I JUST DON'T SEE WHO WE CAN GET IN OFFSEASON TO FILL THAT NEED.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We could kick the tires on aces who had slump in 2012 and can use change of scenery with new team.  Names like King Felix even though he won't be available, kicking the tires won't cost anything, Tim Lincecum, Halladay, Lee..

Sections
Shortcuts