Lester; Opening Day Starter!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Lester; Opening Day Starter!

BobbyV going with the Southpaw.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter!

In Response to Lester; Opening Day Starter!:
    [QUOTE]BobbyV going with the Southpaw. Thoughts?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

He's the best starter on the staff, logical choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

I'm kinda suprised. lester's numbers against the tigers aren't that good (small sample size) meanwhile beckett has had some success against the tigers and fairs particularly well in comerica park.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Lester; Opening Day Starter! : He's the best starter on the staff, logical choice.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Based on what?  His era?  Wins/Losses?  Last September?  Ability to stop losing streaks? 

He's the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team at best.

In a game 7 who do you want on the mound?  I want Beckett, Buch, and then Lester.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Based on what?  His era?  Wins/Losses?  Last September?  Ability to stop losing streaks?  He's the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team at best. In a game 7 who do you want on the mound?  I want Beckett, Buch, and then Lester.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

By any number you want to look at, Lester has been our best starting pitcher overall since he arrived.  He's had 4 straight seasons with an ERA under 3.5.  His career record is 76-34 with an ERA+ of 128.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Based on what?  His era?  Wins/Losses?  Last September?  Ability to stop losing streaks?  He's the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team at best. In a game 7 who do you want on the mound?  I want Beckett, Buch, and then Lester.

Wow.. Lester's your 3rd best on the team? based on what? Beckett owns 60.7% winning %, Buch has 59.3%, and YOUR 3rd best pitcher on the team has 69.1% of winning percentage in his career.  That's the 3rd best in history among pitchers over 50 decisions.  3rd best in history, not 3rd best on your team...
    Then what did you base on for your 1st and 2nd?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Its an even number year so Beckett is due to tank this year, Buchholz has had one good season and you want to put him in front of Lester?  Ok, really I don't care I'm a Yankee fan.....I want CC or Andy Pettitte on the mound in a game 7.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Becks is going in the home opener...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Makes sense on a karmic and also PR level.  Lester or Beckett is a toss-up for #1, so you could go with either.  And, I bet Bobby feels like it is sending the wrong message to give the honor to Beckett.  At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter anyway.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Its an even number year so Beckett is due to tank this year, Buchholz has had one good season and you want to put him in front of Lester?  Ok, really I don't care I'm a Yankee fan.....I want CC or Andy Pettitte on the mound in a game 7.

Becketts due to Tank but Petitte, after not pitching for a year, is in the same catorgory as Sabathia? Come on Mikey, overstated, with little basis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Makes sense on a karmic and also PR level.  Lester or Beckett is a toss-up for #1, so you could go with either.  And, I bet Bobby feels like it is sending the wrong message to give the honor to Beckett.  At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter anyway.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

my thought too Space. While both were involved in the clubhouse mess, I think Beckett was perceived to be the more guilty party and Lester seems to have had more contrition.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Can't say I'm surprised, but I had hoped Beckett would've gotten the nod.

I think Beckett is a better pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Becketts due to Tank but Petitte, after not pitching for a year, is in the same catorgory as Sabathia? Come on Mikey, overstated, with little basis.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

It's an even # year.  As for Andy I'd still start Sabathia in a game 7 but if for some reason the rotation got changed or if game 6 was do or die and Sabathia went then I'd like Andy in game 7 because he's a big game pitcher.  He's gonna have a good season he's rested and he knows how to pitch and get guys out.  I'm not saying he's gonna win 20 or the Cy or anything but yes I feel comfortable with him in a game 7.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : It's an even # year.  As for Andy I'd still start Sabathia in a game 7 but if for some reason the rotation got changed or if game 6 was do or die and Sabathia went then I'd like Andy in game 7 because he's a big game pitcher.  He's gonna have a good season he's rested and he knows how to pitch and get guys out.  I'm not saying he's gonna win 20 or the Cy or anything but yes I feel comfortable with him in a game 7.

Even year hasnt = tanked. You may want to see if Petitte gets out of the minors first. Horse before the cart, so to speak

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Even year hasnt = tanked. You may want to see if Petitte gets out of the minors first. Horse before the cart, so to speak
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    We'll see 2006, 2008 and 2010 weren't great years.  As for Andy, I'm not worried about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : We'll see 2006, 2008 and 2010 weren't great years.  As for Andy, I'm not worried about.

Not as great, but not tanked either. your guess is as good as mine. We'll see, like everything and everyone else.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : We'll see 2006, 2008 and 2010 weren't great years.  As for Andy, I'm not worried about.

2008 wasn't a bad season for Beckett.  A lot of his numbers were good. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

great choice....he is our ace and has been for a while

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Not as great, but not tanked either. your guess is as good as mine. We'll see, like everything and everyone else.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Not near great.  He's had one "great" year with the Sox and that was 2007.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckejo02.shtml

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : By any number you want to look at, Lester has been our best starting pitcher overall since he arrived.  He's had 4 straight seasons with an ERA under 3.5.  His career record is 76-34 with an ERA+ of 128.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

If the best pitcher on the team had an era of 3.47 last season, then the team is in trouble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : 2008 wasn't a bad season for Beckett.  A lot of his numbers were good. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

It was ho-hum, 12-10 with an ERA a hair of 4.00.  He wasn't god-awful that year nor was he great like he was the year before.  Out of his even years with the Sox this was his best year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Not near great.  He's had one "great" year with the Sox and that was 2007. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckejo02.shtml

4.03 era and a 1.187 WHip is "tanking"?

Also, Beckett's career has spanned more than four years.

Or does non-Red sox major league service not count.

I think your sig line may need a slight rewrite.

But, hey, if "The Great Beckett Even Year Myth" helps some Yankee fans sleep at night, fine.

Figured you guys would be over '01 by now...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : 4.03 era and a 1.181 WHip is "tanking"? Also, Beckett's career has spanned more than four years. Or does non-Red sox major league service not count. I think your sig line may need a slight rewrite. But, hey, if "The Great Beckett Even Year Myth" helps some Yankee fans sleep at night, fine. Figured you guys would be over '01 by now...
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

01'? 

Read the post above your last one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : 01'?  Read the post above your last one.

Why??

Sorry, was thinking of '03.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester; Opening Day Starter! : Why?? Sorry, was thinking of '03.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

Yeah 2001 we got beat by your guy Schilling and The Big Unit and Torre not playing the infield back!!!! That one was a tough pill to swallow, in reality it was the right move but it was just one of those bloopy hits that Mariano gives up....Oh well.

Sections
Shortcuts