Lester owning it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re: Lester owning it

All that having been said, I never dreamed I would feel better about having Aceves on the mound than John Lester. That's crazy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester can own it all he wants. I think thats just great. When all is said and done, he has not performed in about a year and half now. His ERA is 4.12 and 5.09 over his last 10 starts. It was 4.82 last year. He has pitched a total of FOUR good games this year, his first four, during which his ERA was 1.71. There is nothing to "straighten out". He is simply not very good any more.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

The way I see it he was an excellent starting pitching up until May 15th and until two weeks ago the team never lost when he pitched. You can't argue that. Now combine the first 6 weeks with the last 4 he has been solid to good but trending down. He is either hurt or it is mental, if it is mental after the game was a good sign. You can talk all about 3 and 4 and what but did you think Lester was going to win over 20 games like he was on pace to or 15-17 isn't going to be good enough for your second best starter?

[/QUOTE]

I guess you think all of last year is irrelevant. I don't.

[/QUOTE]

But it wasn't all of last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Bosox Joe - That gives you confidence? Because he said something? I'm sure that Kool Aid is good, but he has no command, he's giving up way too many hits with 2 strikes, giving up too many runs with two outs, etc.  His ERA is awful over the last 5-6 starts and his line last night was one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I know you are hoping for him to succeed, but he hasn' t shown anything.

Yup, I thought that was the craziest thing about 2011.  Everyone screaming about wanting players to take responsibility.  I guess that's okay, if you feel the need to hear a player make an insincere apology, but I'd feel a whole lot better if players simply play better.  Seriously, and it is the same at work and with the kids, I don't care, I simply don't.  The only apology I want to hear is, 'this is what I'll do to fix it'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

All that having been said, I never dreamed I would feel better about having Aceves on the mound than John Lester. That's crazy!

Good, then I am not the only crazy one.  I'd DL for the minimum just to rest his psyche.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, I think the biggest issue is that he is violating BB101.  He is walking guys that ought never be walked.  You have to pitch carefully to Longoria, etc.  But he put guys on last night that really warranted throwing the ball right down the middle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester can own it all he wants. I think thats just great. When all is said and done, he has not performed in about a year and half now. His ERA is 4.12 and 5.09 over his last 10 starts. It was 4.82 last year. He has pitched a total of FOUR good games this year, his first four, during which his ERA was 1.71. There is nothing to "straighten out". He is simply not very good any more.

The way I see it he was an excellent starting pitching up until May 15th and until two weeks ago the team never lost when he pitched. You can't argue that. Now combine the first 6 weeks with the last 4 he has been solid to good but trending down. He is either hurt or it is mental, if it is mental after the game was a good sign. You can talk all about 3 and 4 and what but did you think Lester was going to win over 20 games like he was on pace to or 15-17 isn't going to be good enough for your second best starter?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess by that arguement he wasn't horrible all of yesterday's game either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You said it was all of last year.  It was only the first four months.  He was quite good after July.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

9 wins 14 losses and an ERA of 4.82. That's pure sh1te and those stats represent ALL last year. Every pitch he threw. If you wanna selectively pick portions of last year; have a look at what he did at the end of the season. Cos when we needed him most he pitched like me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Pumpsiegreen should own it that he is an 100% fool.

Conan, 

Out of curiousity I unblocked you for just a brief second and will be put you on ignore right after this post so don't bother replying. Nice to see you're the same idiotic troll you always have been. As I say to all TROLLS of your ilk before I put them on ignore.

GOODBYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Lester said after the game he let his team down, he interupted De La Torre talking to the media to say Dela Torre bailed him out and tweet about his performance. For those of you who think the last few games were mental this has to give you confidence that we are going to see Lester from a month ago against the O's.

Yes and no. Yes because its nice he owned it, but no because the same factor that motivates and pushes him to publically own up to the fact that he let the team down in the way he did is also contributing to his confidence issues. Hes owned it before, then gone right back out and done it again. I dont like it that he said that to De La Torre during a talk to the media. Thats the kind of thing that should have been said man to man, BECAUSE, it makes me think hes doing it to make sure everyone knows HE knows he screwed up! Thats a confidence issue. Hes sincere in his desire to make sure everyone knows hes sorry, but the fact that he has to let everyone know that (in such a way as to actually interrupt an interview with De La Torre to do it) shows he hasnt necessarily solved the problem that caused the breakdown to begin with. The best thing he could do is just go back out on the mound and do his thing. Hes such a nice guy, my fear is he cares too much what everyone thinks about him, which manifests itself--Im afraid--in mental lapses on the mound. He cant consistently get all of himself in the moment when hes out there, which also explains his tendency to get mad at umpires and become distracted during pitch sequences thaat end up going horribly wrong. So yes and no, it may or may not be good. We will soon see.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

9 wins 14 losses and an ERA of 4.82. That's pure sh1te and those stats represent ALL last year. Every pitch he threw. If you wanna selectively pick portions of last year; have a look at what he did at the end of the season. Cos when we needed him most he pitched like me.

[/QUOTE]

It all depends on what you want to look and why you want to look at it.  It's not like I'm choosing every third Tuesday, I'm choosing two entire months.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or, if you wanted to break 2012-2013 into two season of relatively equal lengths, the first half, from April-July of 2012, he stunk.  But the second half, from 8/1 until today, his ERA is 3.95.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You said it was all of last year.  It was only the first four months.  He was quite good after July.

[/QUOTE]

I was looking at the total of his entire year, the largest possible sample size for last year. He stunk last year.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Owning it is no big deal, I agree, but I do think Lester is fixable.  My own theory is he over-relies on his fastball because he can't seem to throw his  curve or changeup for strikes.  Right now I think hitters simply sit on the fastball. 

This^^^^

Lester has never had great command of his off speed stuff...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

During his last five starts, Lester is 0-3 with a 6.90 ERA, .314 opp BA, 30 IPs, and allowing 46 hits and 18 walks.  

I hope he rebounds in his next start vs. Baltimore.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Lester is a fine and humble person.

Unfortunately when he stopped hitting 95 MPH consistantly on his fastball teams have adjusted.

And Lester, apparently, has not.

And this is what we are witnessing. Hes trying to make the adjustments. It doesnt happen right away. If he can be dominant like he was at the start of the year, It just proves than he is capable of being that good. When you cant throw 96 anymore and have to be more precise, mechanics play a bigger role. JF and JN have noticed some mechanical things and will work with him. It certainly doesnt mean hes done, thats foolish thinking right now.. The impatient ones can complain and yelp ablout getting rid of him. I stick with him and even pick up the option for next year. If he hasnt adjusted by then, well...Then you have a decision to make

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Lester said after the game he let his team down, he interupted De La Torre talking to the media to say Dela Torre bailed him out and tweet about his performance. For those of you who think the last few games were mental this has to give you confidence that we are going to see Lester from a month ago against the O's.

Yes and no. Yes because its nice he owned it, but no because the same factor that motivates and pushes him to publically own up to the fact that he let the team down in the way he did is also contributing to his confidence issues. Hes owned it before, then gone right back out and done it again. I dont like it that he said that to De La Torre during a talk to the media. Thats the kind of thing that should have been said man to man, BECAUSE, it makes me think hes doing it to make sure everyone knows HE knows he screwed up! Thats a confidence issue. Hes sincere in his desire to make sure everyone knows hes sorry, but the fact that he has to let everyone know that (in such a way as to actually interrupt an interview with De La Torre to do it) shows he hasnt necessarily solved the problem that caused the breakdown to begin with. The best thing he could do is just go back out on the mound and do his thing. Hes such a nice guy, my fear is he cares too much what everyone thinks about him, which manifests itself--Im afraid--in mental lapses on the mound. He cant consistently get all of himself in the moment when hes out there, which also explains his tendency to get mad at umpires and become distracted during pitch sequences thaat end up going horribly wrong. So yes and no, it may or may not be good. We will soon see.......

THIS is where I think we will all see if Farrell can work his pitching magic. Nieves and Farrell have both noticed some mechanical things and I think Lester is getting a bit frustrated going through this adjustment, so he has to overcome the mental part of it. Last night it looked as if he wasnt confident with his FB anymore. Thats his B'n'B. I think he will overcome this and be the pitcher that he was at the start of the year and even the one who had a complete game one hitter on 6/10 against an explosive Toronto offense. He can do it, theres no doubt, and I believe he will turn it around. You dont have to throw 96MPH to be successful. But the adjustment isnt without challenges to overcome.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Well, he has to own it, he can't say anything and neither can the manager. Lester started off well, then had the game were he was irritated by being squeezed. Ever since that games the men behind home plate have been playing games with him. I'd swear they have their own grapevine. 

Balls and strikes calls are close to everything for a pitcher. If a pitcher never gets a close call the irritation and frustration affects concentration, the pitcher is forced to throw far more pitches, hitters know they can lay-off pitches, and the pitcher ends up having to pitch closer to the heart of the strike zone. 

As I see it the only thing which can be done is for Red Sox managment to raise holy hell with the league office behind the scenes. Document what's going on using game film and loudly complain, but not in the press.

The second thing which can be done is this is one of the few areas where the local press can help the team. Assuming there are reporters who honestly think Lester is getting a raw deal those reporters begin to pointedly make an issue of it, again using film. 

Or the Red Sox could trade him to the Yankees where suddenly he would "find himself" and run off a string of Cy Young type seasons. "The change of scenery did wonders!" 

Sections
Shortcuts