Lester owning it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Lester owning it

Lester said after the game he let his team down, he interupted De La Torre talking to the media to say Dela Torre bailed him out and tweet about his performance. For those of you who think the last few games were mental this has to give you confidence that we are going to see Lester from a month ago against the O's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Lester owning it

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Lester said after the game he let his team down, he interupted De La Torre talking to the media to say Dela Torre bailed him out and tweet about his performance. For those of you who think the last few games were mental this has to give you confidence that we are going to see Lester from a month ago against the O's.

top of the morning to you Joe. I'm with you 100% pal. Jon's got alot of starts ahead of him and I'm convinced that John and his pitching coach will straighten him out. like rocky said. it's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you keep getting back up on your feet.

lester will find his confort spot again. agreed?

Hammah

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lester can own it all he wants. I think thats just great. When all is said and done, he has not performed in about a year and half now. His ERA is 4.12 and 5.09 over his last 10 starts. It was 4.82 last year. He has pitched a total of FOUR good games this year, his first four, during which his ERA was 1.71. There is nothing to "straighten out". He is simply not very good any more.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Good of Jon to admit that he let his team down. I was starting to think it was my fault.

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Good of Jon to admit that he let his team down. I was starting to think it was my fault.

Stabbed by Foulke.

I know, somehow, this is Beckett's fault. You are totally exonerated.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Lester is a fine and humble person.

Unfortunately when he stopped hitting 95 MPH consistantly on his fastball teams have adjusted.

And Lester, apparently, has not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lester can own it all he wants. I think thats just great. When all is said and done, he has not performed in about a year and half now. His ERA is 4.12 and 5.09 over his last 10 starts. It was 4.82 last year. He has pitched a total of FOUR good games this year, his first four, during which his ERA was 1.71. There is nothing to "straighten out". He is simply not very good any more.

The way I see it he was an excellent starting pitching up until May 15th and until two weeks ago the team never lost when he pitched. You can't argue that. Now combine the first 6 weeks with the last 4 he has been solid to good but trending down. He is either hurt or it is mental, if it is mental after the game was a good sign. You can talk all about 3 and 4 and what but did you think Lester was going to win over 20 games like he was on pace to or 15-17 isn't going to be good enough for your second best starter?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Lester is a fine and humble person.

Unfortunately when he stopped hitting 95 MPH consistantly on his fastball teams have adjusted.

Last night he got in trouble when he went away from the fastball with two strikes. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The way I see it he was an excellent starting pitching up until May 15th and until two weeks ago the team never lost when he pitched. You can't argue that. Now combine the first 6 weeks with the last 4 he has been solid to good but trending down. He is either hurt or it is mental, if it is mental after the game was a good sign. You can talk all about 3 and 4 and what but did you think Lester was going to win over 20 games like he was on pace to or 15-17 isn't going to be good enough for your second best starter?

I guess you think all of last year is irrelevant. I don't.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well knowing is half the battle

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Pumpsiegreen should own it that he is an 100% fool.

Wow Conan:  Way to go on the post number.  Now that Bill is gone I suspect we will see less of you?

And congrats on making it past three months with the same name.  I am thinking this is a record for  you?

1650+ posts and still hasn't said a damned thing.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I don't think last years performance of Lester is relevant for a variety of reason including the lack of a pitching coach, the horrible performance of last years team, the toxic clubhouse, and Bobby Valentine leaving him in there to give up 11 runs to show the team Bobby V was in charge. You on the other hand ignore 6 years prior and the 6 weeks he was a really good pitcher this season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I don't think last years performance of Lester is relevant for a variety of reason including the lack of a pitching coach, the horrible performance of last years team, the toxic clubhouse, and Bobby Valentine leaving him in there to give up 11 runs to show the team Bobby V was in charge. You on the other hand ignore 6 years prior and the 6 weeks he was a really good pitcher this season.

First, he had a good EIGHTEEN DAYS, not six weeks. On the 24th day of the season, against the A's, he surrendered 3 ER in 5.2 IP. That is not good enough. It translates, by way of perspective, to an ERA of 4.76. If his ERA were 4.76 for the whole season how would you say he did? And second, what he did two years ago is irrelevant. He is not that pitcher any more. For last year I will give him only a partial pass; I think he IS better than that, but not by much. Every manager leaves his SP in the game to take his lumps from time to time for a variety of reasons. Thats an excuse.

Look, I hope Lester can turn it around and be the guy he was in 2008-2011. Based on his recent performances, over the past year and a half, I don't see that happening. This is not a small sample size. Four games is a small sample size. Thats his longest consistently excellent streak this year. Good #2 SP are better than that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Pumpsiegreen should own it that he is an 100% fool.

Wow Conan:  Way to go on the post number.  Now that Bill is gone I suspect we will see less of you?

And congrats on making it past three months with the same name.  I am thinking this is a record for  you?

Seriously Jackbu, why not just put him on ignore? He is worthless. Many people here have already done that. Someone even started a thread asking if he should be banned, but the thread was removed. Just ignore him! Works for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

First, he had a good EIGHTEEN DAYS, not six weeks. On the 24th day of the season, against the A's, he surrendered 3 ER in 5.2 IP. That is not good enough. It translates, by way of perspective, to an ERA of 4.76. If his ERA were 4.76 for the whole season how would you say he did? And second, what he did two years ago is irrelevant. He is not that pitcher any more. For last year I will give him only a partial pass; I think he IS better than that, but not by much. Every manager leaves his SP in the game to take his lumps from time to time for a variety of reasons. Thats an excuse.

Look, I hope Lester can turn it around and be the guy he was in 2008-2011. Based on his recent performances, over the past year and a half, I don't see that happening. This is not a small sample size. Four games is a small sample size. Thats his longest consistently excellent streak this year. Good #2 SP are better than that.

Well Bailey gave up 2 runs in one inning so his ERA is 18.00. No closer can have an ERA of 18.00 that is just too large. We can go pitch by pitch if you really want but if he did every you would want from a starter for 6 weeks. He has had 4 bad weeks that is all. People praised CC Sabbathia for giving up 4 run in 9 innings by you "standards" that is number 3 status.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

Amen. Owning it is admirable, FIX it and we're good. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Well Bailey gave up 2 runs in one inning so his ERA is 18.00. No closer can have an ERA of 18.00 that is just too large. We can go pitch by pitch if you really want but if he did every you would want from a starter for 6 weeks. He has had 4 bad weeks that is all. People praised CC Sabbathia for giving up 4 run in 9 innings by you "standards" that is number 3 status.

Beginning with his fifth start where he surrendered 3 ER in 5.2 IP he has been inconsistent. He had two good games (vs TBR and Toronto); the others were bad or mediocre. All in all, since game 4 his ERA is over 5. Thats the fact of the matter. If he turns it around I will happily admit that I misjudged him, but the objective evidence right now indicates that he is inconsistent and generally mediocre at best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Bosox Joe - That gives you confidence? Because he said something? I'm sure that Kool Aid is good, but he has no command, he's giving up way too many hits with 2 strikes, giving up too many runs with two outs, etc.  His ERA is awful over the last 5-6 starts and his line last night was one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I know you are hoping for him to succeed, but he hasn' t shown anything.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Owning it is no big deal, I agree, but I do think Lester is fixable.  My own theory is he over-relies on his fastball because he can't seem to throw his  curve or changeup for strikes.  Right now I think hitters simply sit on the fastball. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Owning it is no big deal, I agree, but I do think Lester is fixable.  My own theory is he over-relies on his fastball because he can't seem to throw his  curve or changeup for strikes.  Right now I think hitters simply sit on the fastball. 

you might be on to something Maxi! back at the beginning he was throwing his curve ball for strikes and his location was pin point on the black. inside and outside. this could be something as silly as where he's standing on the rubber to his arm slot angle or some other mechanical issue that could be fixed. you and I both know that he and his coach are looking at before and after film. some of his pitches were so close I thought they were strikes and when he didn't get the call you could clearly see he was miffed.

Sections
Shortcuts