Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken

The Sox may want to trade Beckett, but I would hold on to him and make him lose 25 pounds. Lester is a mainstay. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken:
    The Sox may want to trade Beckett, but I would hold on to him and make him lose 25 pounds. Lester is a mainstay. 
    Posted by dannycater

I think it would be a BIG mistake to trade Becket Danny. Good starting pitching isn't easy to come by. What I always liked about Beckett was his intensity, which hopefully will bring him back on fire to prove something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken : I think it would be a BIG mistake to trade Becket Danny. Good starting pitching isn't easy to come by. What I always liked about Beckett was his intensity, which hopefully will bring him back on fire to prove something.
    Posted by J-BAY

The goal always has to be to improve the team. To trade Beckett out of spite or to " punish " him would be very foolish.  I don't think they will trade him , but I would expect the new G.M. and manager to sit him down and let him know what is expected of him.  And hold him accountable. The real dilemma is what to do with Lackey. It would be difficult to trade him, to say the least.  They would have to eat most , if not all of his salary. My guess is an extended stay on the D.L. , maybe due to Tommy John surgery. Even then , they are on the hook for his salary.  He is the biggest problem.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Greenapplesplatters and ADG are fairweather fans. If they are fans at all. Greenapplesplatters tells me to stop "idolizing" these guys. Now that the team has failed I guess we are all supposed to jump off the bandwagon along with these whiney scum. I know the team preformed badly in September, I am not digging through the rumor mill for excuses, nor am I jumping to another team , nor am I going to crucify every member of the team. Lester was a hero in 2007. We should forget all that because he pitched poorly in 2011's final month....throw away his whole Red Sox career because of a bad month? Quit on him because he eats chicken instead of sitting on the bench with his teammates? He admits he feels bad about it, isn't this enough? ADG says, "I can create any rumor , I want." So he has just lost any credibility he thought he might have. If creating rumors is your desire, have fun with it. Obviously, fairweather fans. Have either of you jumped off the Bruins wagon yet?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Wow. Look at Zilla. I don't always agree with your posts, but outstanding job. Give 'em hell as far as I'm concerned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

At least there was no strippers pole!
    Posted by beavis

Perhaps there should be a poll taken -  as to how many posters have dropped their draws - while indulging in wings and ale.

IMO, Zilla is up for poster of the year. His post calling out the naked J-birds cements it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken : Cute nicknames but how did Beckett get on your list? His starts after he injured his ankle? Please take a look at the aggregate results from 2011 and tell me how the first year of this extension was a bust? He was 4th in the league in WHIP, 5th in ERA while being iin the bottom half in run support.
    Posted by fivekatz

Based on what he did in 2010 and how he finished in 2011 - please do not just look at his averages (or aggregetaes); he was a different pitcher in Aug in Sept - just look at his mechanics, his stuff, and the results.......averages/aggregates of course smooth out his shortcomings and inconsistencies......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken:
    from Boston.com: Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester admitted today that he drank beer in the clubhouse during games this season and that, "it was the wrong thing to do." But he was adamant that such behavior was not to blame for the team's September collapse. "There's a perception out there that we were up there getting hammered and that wasn't the case," Lester told The Globe via telephone from his home in Georgia. "Was it a bad habit? Yes. I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball." Lester said the drinking was confined to starting pitchers who weren't in the game that day. "It was a ninth-inning rally beer," he said. "We probably ordered chicken from Popeye's like once a month. That happened. But that's not the reason we lost." Lester has not spoken to deposed manager Terry Francona, communicating with him only through text messages. He said he was sorry to see Francona leave the team but believes it might be for the best. "I love Tito and he did a great job for us when he was here. On a personal level I was more than grateful for what he did for me and my family," Lester said. "But there comes a time when your authority is no longer there. You kind of run your course. People who knew how Tito was and we pushed the envelope with it. We never had rules, we never that that iron-fist mentality. If you screwed up, he called you on it. That was how it worked. "I never say guys purposely breaking rules or doing the wrong thing in front of him and rubbing it in his face. But this particular team probably needed more structure." During a lengthy interview, Lester said he did not have permission to speak on behalf of Josh Beckett, John Lackey or the other starters, but felt he had to. "Consider us a unit when it comes to these accusations," he said. "We either fall together or rise above it all together whether they like it or not. Things got magnified because we lost and sources started telling people what happened, which has me upset because if you're going to say something, be a man to put your name to it. But we're not bad people and we're not a bad group of guys. "Are there things I regret? Sure there are. But nothing happened that had me unprepared to pitch. I don't blame people for wanting answers because we had a hell of a team and we lost. You can't have a team that gets paid like we get paid and loses and not expect people to want answers." Lester also denied that poor physical conditioning was a reason for the team's 7-20 September collapse. He said that pitchers typically gain weight during the season. "It's probably because of how we eat," he said. "We have some crazy hours with the travel and you get in at 4 a.m. and you get room service or something quick. But unless your body fat is going up 10 percent or something like that, you don't have a problem. "I've heard what people are saying in Boston. I can tell you that guys were in the weight room. Guys were doing their shoulder [exercises] and guys were prepared to pitch. If we win a few more games in September and make the playoffs, none of this comes out. But we didn't and that's on us as a team and on me personally. I take a lot of the blame for this, a lot." Lester was 15-6 with a 2.93 earned run average in his first 27 starts. He was 0-3 with an 8.24 ERA in his last four with the team losing all four of the games. "It bothers me because I'm supposed to be a stopper," he said. "I picked a terrible time to stink. That's on me."
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Stating they took advantage of Tito because he allowed it and didn't put his foot down could really hurt Tito's future as a manager somewhere else but I'm glad he came forward.  I aloways thought it might be Lester who comes clean about things.

Sections
Shortcuts