Lester start pushed back until June 7th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lester start pushed back until June 7th

From WEEI.com:

Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced following his team's 7-3 loss to the White Sox Monday night at Fenway Park that Jon Lester wouldn't pitch again until June 7, allowing the lefty seven days of rest.

The announcement comes after Lester turned in one of his worst outings of the season, a 5 2/3-inning appearance in which he was charged with seven runs and allowed a total of 14 baserunners.

"I don't need to reinvent the wheel. I don't need to go out there and figure things out," said Lester, who saw his ERA go to 3.94 after the loss. "I just think it was one of those deals I got a little ahead of myself working east to west instead of north to south. I threw the ball up in the zone and that's what's going to happen when you do that. I don't need to throw an extended bullpen, or anything like that. It will be nice to get an extra day, we've been going pretty hard at it these past couple of go-rounds. It will be nice. Hopefully it's not going to go the other way and be too much. Give the body a break, come back on Tuesday and just try and go after it again and see what happens."

Frnacona talked about perhaps an over-reliance on the cutter by Lester, who was driven from the game by an two-run bloop single from Alexei Ramirez on the starter's 127th pitch. It was the second-most pitches the lefty has thrown in his career. According to MLB.com, the starter threw the pitch 43 times.

"He's gotten in a little bit of a mode where his cutter is so good, but he's throwing a lot of them. We've got to get him back to where he's establishing his fastball, changeup, breaking ball, and using the cutter to put people away," Francona said. "It's getting to the point where it's more and more … it is a great pitch, but he's throwing a lot of them. We'll go back to the drawing board a little bit and have a good side with [pitching coach] Curt [Young]."

Lester pointed out that one of the reasons he used his cutter so much was due to a lack of feeling for any of his other pitches.

"It was the only pitch I could throw for strikes," he said. "I had to throw it. I had no command of my fastball. I threw a couple of decent changeups and I think I threw one curveball for a strike just because I got a checked swing at it. It was really the only pitch I could command so we had to use it."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

Re: Lester start pushed back until June 7th

I guess it's only a matter of time before they put him on the DL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

His start really isn't pushed anywhere.  The Sox have 2 off days coming up (2nd and 6th) and his start simply isn't being pulled forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

that would put him in Game 1 of Yanks/Sox...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Lester start pushed back until June 7th:
    [QUOTE]His start really isn't pushed anywhere.  The Sox have 2 off days coming up (2nd and 6th) and his start simply isn't being pulled forward.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Francona was asked during the after game press conference about Lesters high pitch count. He stated Lester wasn't scheduled to pitch again until tuesday, with the two off days, which is why he decided to keep him in there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]that would put him in Game 1 of Yanks/Sox...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    Purely coincidental, I'm certain ... he never pitches well vs. NYY...

Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Lloyd, i'm sure he'll somehow manage to find it, like that damn Beckett always seems to..da bum...Tongue out...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd, i'm sure he'll somehow manage to find it, like that damn Beckett always seems to..da bum... ...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    I forget who it was from you guys that used to ALWAYS kill us. Musina, maybe? Every damn time...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Lester hasn't been sharp in 2-3 starts.  And the one where he did pitch well he had a 7-0 lead before he threw a pitch. 

Really going back through the month of May he hasn't pitched all that well, got the win in NY but didn't pitch particularly well and had a rough outing in TOR before that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester start pushed back until June 7th : Francona was asked during the after game press conference about Lesters high pitch count. He stated Lester wasn't scheduled to pitch again until tuesday, with the two off days, which is why he decided to keep him in there
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

That makes sense.  Unfortunately I don't get to watch the post game in CT. :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I don't get it. Why on earth would Francona let Lester continue when he knew nothing was working for him. By the same token, why did Lester not convey to the PC or manager the same.
    Seems to me, it's better to use the BP than to have a starter miss his regular spot, requiring another spot start by Aceves.
    127 pitches is not a lot for 8 or 9 innings but for 5+, it's ludicrous.
    I do believe however that Lester got squeezed quite a bit and that clearly he was frustrated with the HP umpire's zone, which upset his rythym.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester start pushed back until June 7th : I forget who it was from you guys that used to ALWAYS kill us. Musina, maybe? Every damn time...
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Moose almost threw that no-no against us in NY....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester start pushed back until June 7th : Moose almost threw that no-no against us in NY....
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

It was a perfect game I think, definitely at Fenway, definitely broken up by Carl Everett in the 9th.  David Cone pitched a great game for the Sox that night, maybe a 1-0 game?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get it. Why on earth would Francona let Lester continue when he knew nothing was working for him. By the same token, why did Lester not convey to the PC or manager the same. Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Pitchers don't do that.  They go until they are removed.  They never say they're hurt, need a blow, it's one of the pitfalls of being a manager.

Awesome if Lester is throwing the 7th -- I just got tix to that game!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

It's Aceves that's been pushed out, reallly.  That and I think they'd prefer Lackey to pitch against Oakland instead of NY.  Plus give Lester some breath.

I was at the blowout against the Cubs, and Lester gave up like a dozen hits.  He needs to work something out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get it. Why on earth would Francona let Lester continue when he knew nothing was working for him. By the same token, why did Lester not convey to the PC or manager the same. Seems to me, it's better to use the BP than to have a starter miss his regular spot, requiring another spot start by Aceves. 127 pitches is not a lot for 8 or 9 innings but for 5+, it's ludicrous. I do believe however that Lester got squeezed quite a bit and that clearly he was frustrated with the HP umpire's zone, which upset his rythym.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Right, because Aceves has been so terrible in his 2 starts.  This isn't the first time Tito has lined up his rotation for a Yankees series, and it won't be the last.  It looks more dramatic because of the 2 off-days between now and then, but normally Lester would be pitching on the 5th, thus missing the Yankees series.  The 6th is an off-day.