Lester talking up the Hometown Discount, saying "I want to stay in Boston!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lester talking up the Hometown Discount, saying "I want to stay in Boston!"

What do you offer him?  what would it take right now?

Bertrand says it would take about 6 yrs @ about 25M / yr.

What would you offer right now to lock him up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Lester talking up the Hometown Discount, saying

7 @ $160 Mill

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I would give him 6@108 mil, that would be an a true discount.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I think he's earned an offer of 6yrs @ about $120M.  I also happen to think he' worth it considering recent contracts for his caliber of pitching.  I think he goes for something close to that, as he truly seems to Want to stay in Boston.  He takes the discount, as Pedey did, to gain the security & what he wants

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

"Hometown discount" doesn't involve giving a 30 year old pitcher 6 years at 20 per year... That's about the market rate, he's not 27 anymore. Why not the Lackey/Beckett deal...5/87.5?

Don't set the bar stupidly high. Buccholz is going to have to be paid, before some of that long list of young arms (not all will pan out).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How about 5 years, 110 million.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

How about 5 years, 110 million.

I like Lester, but that souns a tad steep.

I liked the 6/108 number.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Pedroia's may be the most realistic long-term contract I've ever seen:

**[Boston just announced Dustin Pedroia‘s contract extension as official, so here’s the year-by-year salary details:

Signing bonus: $1 million
    2014: $12.5 million
    2015: $12.5 million
    2016: $13 million
    2017: $15 million
    2018: $16 million
    2019: $15 million
    2020: $13 million
    2021: $12 million]

** From "Hardball talk - NBC Sports"

It's eight years, escalating until 2018 - his prime years - and then de-escalating over the last three years.  It assumes the natural progression and regression of a player.  Total $110M

Both of these players are 30 years old as the season starts although Pedey is about five months older.

Lester is scheduled to receive $13M this year.  If $3M is added to each year the total would be 8/$134 and a $3.5 M raise for 2014, . Overall that contract represents a significant hometown discount but it reflects what one could reasonably expect from Lester.  It also keeps the team from being hamstrung in 2020 & 2021 with a "wheelchair contract".

It looks like this:

2014: $15.5 million + $1M signing bonus
    2015: $15.5 million
    2016: $16 million
    2017: $18 million
    2018: $19 million
    2019: $18 million
    2020: $16 million
    2021: $15 million

Yeah, I'd do that.  And I'd also be willing to readjust (upward) his salary for 2020 & 2021 based on incentives depending on how well he pitched during the previous year and what the market for pitchers looks like in 2020.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I would not want to pay Lester (or any pitcher in his early 30s) for anywhere near 8 years.
    Pedroia, as an infielder, is much more likely to produce worthy of a big contract over 8 years than any pitcher, but it is also likely that we see a big dropoff for Pedroia as well when he reaches his mid to late 30s.

My first thoughts on Lester's resigning would start with 4 years at about 17.5M per season.

That would actually give the Sox the "hometown discount" that both parties would like and yet pay Lester very well for four years.  Perhaps adding something very reasonable (10 M per year?) for years 5 and 6 on a mutual contract agreement could be added.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I would not want to pay Lester (or any pitcher in his early 30s) for anywhere near 8 years.
    Pedroia, as an infielder, is much more likely to produce worthy of a big contract over 8 years than any pitcher, but it is also likely that we see a big dropoff for Pedroia as well when he reaches his mid to late 30s.

My first thoughts on Lester's resigning would start with 4 years at about 17.5M per season.

That would actually give the Sox the "hometown discount" that both parties would like and yet pay Lester very well for four years.  Perhaps adding something very reasonable (10 M per year?) for years 5 and 6 on a mutual contract agreement could be added.

Haven't we done this thread before? Anyway, 100% agree. I have moved my number up slightly to 4-72. When added to his 2014 contract[1-13] which many people seem to have no clue about, it gives him 5-85. Thats more then what he is probably going to be worth. And he says he is willing to take a discount. Why people want to pay him these huge numbers is beyond me. His last 15 starts sure has made people forget the previous 60.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Haven't we done this thread before? Anyway, 100% agree. I have moved my number up slightly to 4-72. When added to his 2014 contract[1-13] which many people seem to have no clue about, it gives him 5-85. Thats more then what he is probably going to be worth. And he says he is willing to take a discount. Why people want to pay him these huge numbers is beyond me. His last 15 starts sure has made people forget the previous 60.

If Lester walks....would we even come close to replacing his value at 5/85 or 4/72??? have you seen what pitchers have been getting on the open market.  Average starting pitchers get around 15 million nowadays. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I see Lester getting 5 years, $125 M at least with a club option for year six or 6 years/$140M-145 -- at least. Seems like that's the market. And my numbers are the minimum I see him getting. Final value could be much more.

(And I could be way off. I hate predicting contracts).

Whether it's smart for the Sox to give him is another story.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Previous 60 -- really? Your going nine starts into 2011 (18 (2013) + 33 (2012) + 9 (2011). A bit extreme and very simplistic too.

His last nine starts of 2011:

7 IP, 1 ER
    6 IP, 1 ER
    6 IP, 1 ER
    5 IP, 1 ER
    7 IP, 0 ER
    4 IP, 4 ER
    7 IP, 4 ER
    2.2 IP, 8 ER
    6 IP, 2 ER

50.2 IP, 22 ER: 3.90 ER Not bad. Really just two bad starts out of those nine plus one mediocre.

As for the last two years, you have to look a bit deeper. His biggest problems in both years were four- to six-week stretches where he struggled bad. 

For instance, in 2012, his ERA on July 3 was 4.33 -- not great but spiked because of three really bad starts (2 IP, 7 ER; 4 IP, 7 ER) and one bad start (7 IP, 5 ER). He had three horrible starts in a row in July, which killed his season but ended July with a 6 IP, 4 ER -- not great but turning the corner. He then had an ERA of 3.76 ERA the final two month, which is a decent stretch of good pitching.

And last year, he was very good for six week, bad for six weeks, then very good the last half.

My point is that when you say "previous 60 starts" it overstates his struggles. He actually had very good stretches in 2012 and you ignore the strong start he had to 2013.

I'm not advocating a big contract for him. I keep changing my mind about it, although I'm leaning toward keeping him. But at least we should have an honest evaluation of his performance and also, not overlook the Bobby Valentine effect of his 2012 season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If Lester walks....would we even come close to replacing his value at 5/85 or 4/72??? have you seen what pitchers have been getting on the open market.  Average starting pitchers get around 15 million nowadays. 

Could you name me these average starting pitchers signing for around 15 million?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Could you name me these average starting pitchers signing for around 15 million?

Have you been paying attention to free agency the last couple years???

I won't even leave the Boston Red Sox, look at the contracts Beckett, Lackey and Dempster got.  Is Lester worth less than them?  and the price for a pitcher in 2014 is going to be more than it was in 2010-2013.

You can place whatever value on Lester you want to but the reality is if you think he is only worth 4/72 then you are going to be very upset when the Sox have to go out into free agency and pay a pitcher who has put up similiar value the last several years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If other teams out there are willing to pay Lester 5/100 or more then a pitcher who is as good or better is not going to magically sign with Boston for less, we will have to outbid everyone else on the market.

SOOO unless we want to role with an entirely homegrown rotation it makes all the sense in the world to lock up Lester if he is willing to take a discount.

Even if we paid Lester 20 million a year we will still have 52 million a year to play with after him next year assuming all arbitration and league minimum salaries and 15 million a year for Papi.

Sox have the money, Lester is going to get paid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I am counting his 5 playoff starts and his last 10 games of the regular season as his last 15 games. The previous 60 would be the his first 23 this season, all of 2012 and the last 4 games of 2011. His previous 60.  It may be cherry picking a bad stretch, but it is a 60 game continuos stretch. 368 innings in a row. Its a very large cherry bowl.

Here are his stats in those 60 games....

ERA----4.89
    WHIP---1.40

If we just counted those numbers over the last 3 seasons, Lester would rank 130th and 149th out of 163 starters with atleast 250 innings pitched. My point is that Lester SUCKED in the 60 outings before August 8th of 2013. Not even close to 10 million dollar worthy. Yet I am low balling him at 18 million a year? At 30? When he isn't even a free agent yet?

Those 15 starts has changed peoples thinking too much IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Have you been paying attention to free agency the last couple years???

I won't even leave the Boston Red Sox, look at the contracts Beckett, Lackey and Dempster got.  Is Lester worth less than them?  and the price for a pitcher in 2014 is going to be more than it was in 2010-2013.

You can place whatever value on Lester you want to but the reality is if you think he is only worth 4/72 then you are going to be very upset when the Sox have to go out into free agency and pay a pitcher who has put up similiar value the last several years.

None of those pitchers were average when they signed. Not even Dempster. What you are really showing is the dangers of signing well above average starters over 30 big long contracts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

If other teams out there are willing to pay Lester 5/100 or more then a pitcher who is as good or better is not going to magically sign with Boston for less, we will have to outbid everyone else on the market.

SOOO unless we want to role with an entirely homegrown rotation it makes all the sense in the world to lock up Lester if he is willing to take a discount.

Even if we paid Lester 20 million a year we will still have 52 million a year to play with after him next year assuming all arbitration and league minimum salaries and 15 million a year for Papi.

4-72 is not even a discount.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Agreed...Lester's "hometown discount" isn't going to be under 20 million per season or less than 100 million in total. For 6 straight years, he's averaged over 30 starts & 200 plus innings per season, he's obviously proved he can pitch in Boston, he's got text book mechanics that should age well, he has tremendous make-up & he clearly loves the big stage, as his post season stats are exceptional.  He'll be extended after opening day, as his value goes well beyond his regular season "stats."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

4-72 is an insult in today's pitching market.  Clayton Kershaw, who got shelled in the NLCS, just got TWO hundred plus million.  Do you really think Lester is worth 1/3 of what Kershaw is worth?  Lester obviously isn't Kershaw, but if Lester hits free agency, I have no doubt he would get a 6/140 type deal next year.

All teams are locking up pitching and very few top guys ever hit free agency these days.  Scherzer will likely re-sign with Detroit, so that basically leaves Shields as the only top starter who will be available next year.  Even the mid-market teams have a ton of money to spend these days & pitching is an obvious commodity.  The Sox Front Office will undoubtedly extend him, but "4/72" wouldn't even get a counter offer from Lester's agent.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

4-72 is an insult in today's pitching market.  Clayton Kershaw, who got shelled in the NLCS, just got TWO hundred plus million.  Do you really think Lester is worth 1/3 of what Kershaw is worth?  Lester obviously isn't Kershaw, but if Lester hits free agency, I have no doubt he would get a 6/140 type deal next year.

All teams are locking up pitching and very few top guys ever hit free agency these days.  Scherzer will likely re-sign with Detroit, so that basically leaves Shields as the only top starter who will be available next year.  Even the mid-market teams have a ton of money to spend these days & pitching is an obvious commodity.  The Sox Front Office will undoubtedly extend him, but "4/72" wouldn't even get a counter offer from Lester's agent.

That's a huge insult.  Offer that to Lester and he is guaranteed to walk and then I'd bet my life savings we would have to spend twice that amount (at least) to get a pitcher with his track record here.

The way I look at it is a hometown discount can be with either years or AAV. 

So maybe a 4/88 or a 9/140

One gives him the AAV he might get in free agency but doesn't go into his late 30s the second gives him the big bucks but gives Boston a much lower AAV.

In a few years the Luxury tax threshold is bound to exceed 200 million and could even be much higher than that by the time Lester retires.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Kershaw's deal was great.... for the Dodgers. Kershaw  gave them a discount.

Kershaw was 25, so comparing the total package is silly. Lester is currently about 50% the pitcher Kershaw is. However, Lester has turned 30. Will he be half the pitcher Kershaw is 4 years from now?  Anyway, half of 30 million a year that Kershaw gets is 15 million. Far less then I am offering.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Kershaw's deal was great.... for the Dodgers. Kershaw  gave them a discount.

Kershaw was 25, so comparing the total package is silly. Lester is currently about 50% the pitcher Kershaw is. However, Lester has turned 30. Will he be half the pitcher Kershaw is 4 years from now?  Anyway, half of 30 million a year that Kershaw gets is 15 million. Far less then I am offering.

Okay Bmav, you're clearly not a Lester fan. Your "stat manipulation" to try to make your case against Lester was one of the worst I've ever seen, but you're letting your dislike of Lester cloud your sense of reality.  I'd learn to like him though, as he isn't going anywhere anytime soon & he's going to get paid a heck of a lot more than you think.

Sections
Shortcuts