Lester, the new Beckett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lester, the new Beckett?

Looks like we have another idiot - spewing about how people don't respect him and expect to much from him...despite having the worst season of his career....I guess he still believes he's an "elite" front line starter....

check out the WEEI article "Lester still doesnt get it"

The Beckett delusional sense of privilege just keeps on giving doesnt it...

cue the bootlickers in 3, 2, 1....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Lester, the new Beckett?

Ty Ignore button!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You have to hate someone or it won't be fun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i still like Lester as a starter but just wish he would shutup...i still have faith in him that he can return to form...or at least do better under farrell

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

If a rabid dog barks in the woods, does anyone hear it?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i still like Lester as a starter but just wish he would shutup...i still have faith in him that he can return to form...or at least do better under farrell

If I can get Lester to shut up, will you do the same?

Seriously, I'll write all the letters and e-mails necessary...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Looks like we have another idiot - spewing about how people don't respect him and expect to much from him...despite having the worst season of his career....I guess he still believes he's an "elite" front line starter....

May you find at least an inkling of joy in 2013.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

So long as Lester keeps his focus between the lines, I could care less what he says to the press!  If he continues the griping on the mound, losing his cool, we're in for a very long season. 

I'm going to start this year feeling really good about our chances!!  I think Lester comes out of the gates killing it!  He's way overdue

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

2013 Red Sox...honoring the maiden voyage of the Titanic all season long...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Looks like we have another idiot - spewing about how people don't respect him and expect to much from him...despite having the worst season of his career....I guess he still believes he's an "elite" front linestarter....

May you find at least an inkling of joy in 2013.

Actually,  this is how georom finds joy...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

did anyone bother to read the article?  of course not - pollyannas simply point fingers at the messenger....

Notin, Moon, and Josh Beckett are still looking for the snitch!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

This I can agree with. This kind of attitude from Lester isn't encouraging after all of the events of the past year and a half, BUT, as RSdirtdog said, I couldn't care less what he says off the field if he can get back to getting the job done on the mound.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Jon Lester 2012 stats: ERA: 4.82; WHIP: 1.383; record: 9 wins and 13 losses

I read that article. Lester should have either been honest about the year he had last year and promised to work his butt off to make sure he improves (as I suspect he will) or kept his mouth shut. For him to attempt to portray himself as a top of the line pitcher is delusional.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

here is the link for folks who actually care to read the article before attacking the messenger

seems like he is a total meathead....well done beckett jr!

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2013/02/11/jon-lester-still-doesnt-get-it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

is lester the next beckett? i hope so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Looks like we have another idiot -

[/QUOTE]

I think he would admit he aint the sharpest tool in the box, but I doubt Lester would. Lester should have followed some basic PR advice and not gone down this road.  That being said it is good that he believes he still has it (like Bard).  Athletes need to be able to shake off bad times and doubts to bounce back, unfortunately many of them aren't wise enough to keep it to themselves.

Lester is the one who is most dissapointed in his pitching post Aug 2011, he knows that it has already cost him come extension or FA time.

There are some reasons (steady velocity) to think he has had some bad luck of late. This might be a bit too nuanced for the OP author to take in:

Lester's xFIP was 3.82 in 2012, exactly a full run lower than his ERA. I looked at pitchers who underperformed their xFIP by at least a full run going back to 2009. Twelve such pitchers were found; only three were worse the next year, while five improved by more than a full run. 

((  "The lefty's strikeout rate has been in a three-year decline, from 27 percent in 2009 to 19 percent last year. More balls in play means more chances for hits and defensive miscues. To illustrate the difference, let's consider that last season, Lester faced 876 batters. The eight percent difference means 70 more balls put in play, and assuming his career average .301 BABIP, leads to 21 more hits. While ERA predictors take a pitcher's strikeout rate into account, Lester's decrease itself could signify a deeper issue. " http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/tag/_/name/jon-lester  ))

Road games only 2008 to 2012:

Lester/Verlander:

K/9   8.74 / 8.82

BB/9  3.08 / 2.75

HR/9  .8  /  .8

BA     .232  /  .234

WHIP  1.21  /  1.20

ERA   3.49  /  3.77

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

is lester the next beckett? i hope so.

touché my friend 

still georoms article has some merit to it

bad enough he wants 2 B an umpire

now he sounds like he wants 2 B an agent 2

which beckett

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Moon wants five beckett's...i kid you not...

wait until the other sportwriters start writing on this...prepare the bootlickers heads to enter sand STAT!

it must feel awful to be crushed everyday by common sense opinions and analysis....here we are debating (more like schooling) polyannas why Beckett is gone and right on cue Lester pulls a Beckett - tone deaf, ignorant, and delusional regarding his own pitching behavior and actions...Beckett the mentor - the gift that keeps on giving...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here's the thing...these quotes from Lester came from an interview with Rob Bradford.  The quotes were in reference to Lester being tired of always hearing about 'getting to the next level'.  But Lester said a number of other things in the interview that acknowledged his poor 2012 and how he was motivated to be better in 2013.

"This year is tough because you're comparing it to a year that was a career low," said Lester. "If it was a career high it would probably be a different answer. I would probably be like, 'Yeah, I'm ready to go.' As far as a career low, yeah, that first month this offseason was tough. I usually spend a couple of days here and there by myself, whether it's down at the farm or doing errands, or whatever, and kind of reflect on things and think about the season and think about how things went. It seems like it took me a lot longer than that. It took me a couple of weeks to filter through everything. I think you could really throw any and every one of those words into my offseason and into spring training and into my season. I've never been on this side. I've never had to prove myself. I'm using that as motivation and go out and prove to myself I am who I am.

"I think you could really honestly put any one of those words: driven, motivated, pissed off, ready to go, whatever you want -- in front of my name and that will describe how I'm feeling. I'm ready to get the season going and go back out there and prove those first four or five years of my career weren't flukes."

Sections
Shortcuts