Lester, the new Beckett?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lester, the new Beckett?

i still like Lester as a starter but just wish he would shutup..

I still like you as a poster, but sometimes just wish you'd....

;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Here's the thing...these quotes from Lester came from an interview with Rob Bradford.  The quotes were in reference to Lester being tired of always hearing about 'getting to the next level'.  But Lester said a number of other things in the interview that acknowledged his poor 2012 and how he was motivated to be better in 2013.

"This year is tough because you're comparing it to a year that was a career low," said Lester. "If it was a career high it would probably be a different answer. I would probably be like, 'Yeah, I'm ready to go.' As far as a career low, yeah, that first month this offseason was tough. I usually spend a couple of days here and there by myself, whether it's down at the farm or doing errands, or whatever, and kind of reflect on things and think about the season and think about how things went. It seems like it took me a lot longer than that. It took me a couple of weeks to filter through everything. I think you could really throw any and every one of those words into my offseason and into spring training and into my season. I've never been on this side. I've never had to prove myself. I'm using that as motivation and go out and prove to myself I am who I am.

"I think you could really honestly put any one of those words: driven, motivated, pissed off, ready to go, whatever you want -- in front of my name and that will describe how I'm feeling. I'm ready to get the season going and go back out there and prove those first four or five years of my career weren't flukes."

You beat me to this.

Negative ninnies like to isolate one quote out of context and try t make it the only thing he said that matters. Lester knows he had a bad season and is motivated to prove he is a quality pitcher. I have no problem with anything he said nor his attitude. I'd rather have honesty than false modesty. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Here's the thing...these quotes from Lester came from an interview with Rob Bradford.  The quotes were in reference to Lester being tired of always hearing about 'getting to the next level'.  But Lester said a number of other things in the interview that acknowledged his poor 2012 and how he was motivated to be better in 2013.

"This year is tough because you're comparing it to a year that was a career low," said Lester. "If it was a career high it would probably be a different answer. I would probably be like, 'Yeah, I'm ready to go.' As far as a career low, yeah, that first month this offseason was tough. I usually spend a couple of days here and there by myself, whether it's down at the farm or doing errands, or whatever, and kind of reflect on things and think about the season and think about how things went. It seems like it took me a lot longer than that. It took me a couple of weeks to filter through everything. I think you could really throw any and every one of those words into my offseason and into spring training and into my season. I've never been on this side. I've never had to prove myself. I'm using that as motivation and go out and prove to myself I am who I am.

"I think you could really honestly put any one of those words: driven, motivated, pissed off, ready to go, whatever you want -- in front of my name and that will describe how I'm feeling. I'm ready to get the season going and go back out there and prove those first four or five years of my career weren't flukes."

You beat me to this.

Negative ninnies like to isolate one quote out of context and try t make it the only thing he said that matters. Lester knows he had a bad season and is motivated to prove he is a quality pitcher. I have no problem with anything he said nor his attitude. I'd rather have honesty than false modesty. 

Said Lester: "You look at last year, how many quality starts did I have? [He had 17.] How many games did I lose when I gave up three runs or less? I can't control the outcome of the game. I can only control being healthy every five days and going out there and pitching. That's what I consider an ace."

out of context? this is a direct quote of what you supposedly read...perhaps your reading skills are not the best but even a semi-educated man can figure out that Lester is defending his 2012 season as "ace" quality....

9-14, 4.82.

laughable.....watching bootlickers spin into irrelevence is going to be my enjoyment this baseball season (because it sure wont be the last place Sox)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

What next level is there? That's the thing that frustrates me. People don't consider me an ace or don't consider me a front-line starter. Well, when there are two other pitchers in all of baseball who (won at least 15 games four straight seasons), what am I? That's my argument to it. What extra level is there to it? Am I supposed to win 25 games every year? It's not possible."

Jon Beckett Lester

looks like it is not Grienke that can't handle Boston media

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2013/02/11/jon-lester-still-doesnt-get-it

excerpt.....spot on!

All that leads me to this: After that miserable season, is anyone running around screaming about Jon Lester taking it to the next level anymore? What exactly is he so frustrated about? There isn't a Red Sox fan that wouldn't sign for 16-6, 3.40 from Lester in 2013. Not a one -- the idea of 22-6, 2.40 is at the very least put to the side until Lester demonstrates the ability to return to what he was. Is the expectation of very good but not great agreeable to Lester, or does that also fall in the frustrating category?

Lester tells Bradford that "people don't consider me an ace," which is the correct temperature reading of the fans and it should be. Lester has never had what would be considered a terrific season, has never been considered one of the three or four best pitchers in baseball, has never been better than 10th in WHIP in any season of his career. Justin Verlander is an ace. Matt Cain is an ace. Clayton Kershaw is an ace. Felix Hernandez, Jered Weaver, David Price, I'll even give you CC Sabathia. Lester's peak seasons do not match the peak seasons of these pitchers, and it's not even close. And nowhere on the resume of these guys are 9-14, 4.82. Lester wonders why folks don't view him as an ace, a front-line starting pitcher. Because on Feb. 11, 2013, he simply isn't one.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

You beat me to this.

Said Lester: "You look at last year, how many quality starts did I have? [He had 17.] How many games did I lose when I gave up three runs or less? I can't control the outcome of the game. I can only control being healthy every five days and going out there and pitching. That's what I consider an ace."

out of context? this is a direct quote of what you supposedly read...perhaps your reading skills are not the best but even a semi-educated man can figure out that Lester is defending his 2012 season as "ace" quality....

9-14, 4.82.

laughable.....watching bootlickers spin into irrelevence is going to be my enjoyment this baseball season (because it sure wont be the last place Sox)

My reading skills obviously exceed yours. Context is everything that Lester said. You pick out the quotes that bother you to prove how bad Lester is. Let everyone read the entire original article instead of settling for the geo Reader's Digest condensed version that narrowly focuses on quotes to fit a pre-conceived negative judgment of Lester. Because of your anmosity toward Beckett you make Lester guilty by association. An intelligent man goes to the original source of the information and does not need the media or overly negative posters to tell them what to think.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In the words of softlaw geo is an 'original thinker' and an enjoyable read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

You beat me to this.

9-14, 4.82.

My reading skills obviously exceed yours. Context is everything that Lester said. You pick out the quotes that bother you to prove how bad Lester is. Let everyone read the entire original article instead of settling for the geo Reader's Digest condensed version that narrowly focuses on quotes to fit a pre-conceived negative judgment of Lester. Because of your anmosity toward Beckett you make Lester guilty by association. An intelligent man goes to the original source of the information and does not need the media or overly negative posters to tell them what to think.

PREACH!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

You beat me to this.

9-14, 4.82.

you are saying the three paragraphs i pasted are out of context? what?

just what was the context then? that he admitted that he is NOT an ace?

bootlicker dumb

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope Lester is the next "2007 Version" of Beckett.   :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd rather have 5 Lesters for the 2013 season than our current rotation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my link just got banned...really?

nesn video link about beckett hurting ankle by changing in the bullpen

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

You beat me to this.

Its good to see that Lester is apparently motivated to improve. That said, he should not be attempting to portray himself as a top tier SP; he isn't. He should have stopped when he said how pissed off and ready to go he was. I am not sure he has it in him to do a whole lot better because of the drop in his velocity and his over-reliance on the cutter, which isn't moving as much. I view him as our second best SP, but for a championship team, he is more like a #4. We need better...much better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

You beat me to this.

Its good to see that Lester is apparently motivated to improve. That said, he should not be attempting to portray himself as a top tier SP; he isn't. He should have stopped when he said how pissed off and ready to go he was. I am not sure he has it in him to do a whole lot better because of the drop in his velocity and his over-reliance on the cutter, which isn't moving as much. I view him as our second best SP, but for a championship team, he is more like a #4. We need better...much better.

if you look at 2012 alone he looks like a number 4. but if you look at his entire body of work he is a solid #2 borderline #1.

certainly not an ace

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

2013 Red Sox...honoring the maiden voyage of the Titanic all season long...

That would have been last year on the 100th anniversary. This year is more like the Andrea Doria.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Kirk Minihane wants to be Dan Shaugnessy when he grows up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Congratulations to georom who has provoked the very first removed posts of my long tenure here on the forum ... though I am not sure exactly why ... Dottie?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

welcome to the banned club - i simply pasted a link to beckett interview that stated he hurt his ankle in the bullpen and was tossed...

thats about a dozen in a week for me ....

25. This post has been removed.