Lester, the new Beckett?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Lester, the new Beckett?

In response to mryazz's comment:

someone please tell lester that before anyone expects him to win 25 games every year he has to, at least, win 20 for one year.

referring to lester as delusional is much too kind.

Winning 20 games doesn't matter any more.  King Felix has never won 20 games.  In fact he's only won more than 14 games once.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to mryazz's comment:

someone please tell lester that before anyone expects him to win 25 games every year he has to, at least, win 20 for one year.

referring to lester as delusional is much too kind.

Winning 20 games doesn't matter any more.  King Felix has never won 20 games.  In fact he's only won more than 14 games once.

this^^

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

2013 Red Sox...honoring the maiden voyage of the Titanic all season long...

Tag bet?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Here's the thing...these quotes from Lester came from an interview with Rob Bradford.  The quotes were in reference to Lester being tired of always hearing about 'getting to the next level'.  But Lester said a number of other things in the interview that acknowledged his poor 2012 and how he was motivated to be better in 2013.

"This year is tough because you're comparing it to a year that was a career low," said Lester. "If it was a career high it would probably be a different answer. I would probably be like, 'Yeah, I'm ready to go.' As far as a career low, yeah, that first month this offseason was tough. I usually spend a couple of days here and there by myself, whether it's down at the farm or doing errands, or whatever, and kind of reflect on things and think about the season and think about how things went. It seems like it took me a lot longer than that. It took me a couple of weeks to filter through everything. I think you could really throw any and every one of those words into my offseason and into spring training and into my season. I've never been on this side. I've never had to prove myself. I'm using that as motivation and go out and prove to myself I am who I am.

"I think you could really honestly put any one of those words: driven, motivated, pissed off, ready to go, whatever you want -- in front of my name and that will describe how I'm feeling. I'm ready to get the season going and go back out there and prove those first four or five years of my career weren't flukes."

Wow. You mean geo cherry-picked the quote that made Lester look the worst and ignored the rest of what he said.

I'm shocked, I tell you. SHOCKED.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm not impressed by Lester's quotes and I see him as at best a decent number two starter at this point in his career, ideally a number 3 or 4 on a really really good team. 

That said, Geo alluding to our team as the Titanic with no real knowledge of how the season will play out is pretty pathetic. I'm certain we will be better than last year. 

I'm not a bootlicker by insisting that I see actual games played before I decide how good my team is. 

Geo has become a pretty bitter dude, I'm starting to miss the Francona/Wakefield crack Geo, that dude was bitter also but he could crack a smile. Now he's competing for softy for the "stone-faced poster" competition

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Wow. You mean geo cherry-picked the quote that made Lester look the worst and ignored the rest of what he said.

I'm shocked, I tell you. SHOCKED.

Dude has a pathological hatred of the Red Sox,  I lived in the Bronx for a long time, and I've attended probably 500 Yankee games, and i have never seen a Yankee fan with that type of hatred for the RS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I'm not impressed by Lester's quotes and I see him as at best a decent number two starter at this point in his career, ideally a number 3 or 4 on a really really good team. 

That said, Geo alluding to our team as the Titanic with no real knowledge of how the season will play out is pretty pathetic. I'm certain we will be better than last year. 

I'm not a bootlicker by insisting that I see actual games played before I decide how good my team is. 

Geo has become a pretty bitter dude, I'm starting to miss the Francona/Wakefield crack Geo, that dude was bitter also but he could crack a smile. Now he's competing for softy for the "stone-faced poster" competition

There aren't 30 true No. 1 pitchers in all of baseball.

Lester had four straight years of ERAs between 3.2s and 3.4s. Then he had his first bad year last year. So I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last year and see if he can revert to the 3.2s-to-3.4s pitcher he was for the previous four years. Call it No. 1, call it No. 2 -- I really don't care. I'll take that from him any time.

We'll see if he can turn it around, but I believe his biggest problems were his mechanics last year and once he got them straightened out he began to turn things around. Farrell, himself, said after the Sox played the Blue Jays last year that Lester's mechanics were off.

He finished somewhat strong with and ERA under 4.00 for both the final two months of the season -- 3.59 in Aug. and 3.96 in Sep.

His biggest problem was July -- 9.36 ERA.

Also, Lester's ERA in his seven worst starts was 9.35. His ERA in the other 26 starts was a respectable 3.92. Not the sub 3.50 it had been the previous four years, but I'll take it.

I think what this shows you is that for most of his starts, Lester had good stuff and wasn't too far off the pitcher we want him to be. But in seven starts, he got so scrwed up that he couldn't salvage anything. 

Had his ERA in his bad seven starts been lower, but his ERA in the other 26 starts been higher -- to still finish with a 4.82 ERA -- I'd be worried. Because that would truly be a mediocre pitcher. But the fact that Lester in his best-26 starts managed a 3.92 ERA shows that he is capable of being a good pitcher.

So I think Lester still has the stuff and maybe Farrell can iron out the kinks that caused him to blow up when he was off. Fix those mechanical flaws will cause his bad starts to not be as bad and likely make his good starts be even better.

And yes, Lester needs to stop worrying about bad calls, etc. and just pitch. I think mental issues were part of the problem, but I think it was more out of frustration of not being able to solve the problem with his mechanics.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

if you look at 2012 alone he looks like a number 4. but if you look at his entire body of work he is a solid #2 borderline #1.

certainly not an ace

I am looking at the last year and a half. I believe that the most recent performances count the most in terms of trying to predict a player's future performance. In 2011, after the July 3 game, his ERA for the rest of the season was 5.33 with an OPSa of .804. Last year's stats I posted elsewhere and are easy to look up. In addition, he has lost about 1.5mph off his four seam fastball, an ominous sign as that is rarely recovered as pitchers age. So for the last year and a half, approximately, he has pitched like a #4. While I certainly hope he is able to regain his form, right now its in the category of "you can put lipstick on a pig and its still a pig". He has a lot to prove this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Jon Lester 2012 stats: ERA: 4.82; WHIP: 1.383; record: 9 wins and 13 losses

I read that article. Lester should have either been honest about the year he had last year and promised to work his butt off to make sure he improves (as I suspect he will) or kept his mouth shut. For him to attempt to portray himself as a top of the line pitcher is delusional.

It was 14 losses.

OOPS!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There aren't 30 true No. 1 pitchers in all of baseball.

That's a matter of contention or semantics.

One can argue that not all #1s are "aces", but in theory, there should be 30 number ones in MLB, and a few others worthy of being a number 1 on several other teams, but they are #2s or 3's or even 4's on their team.

From 2008-2011 (4 year sample size) Lester was one of the best 15-20 starters in MLB.

9th in starter WAR at 21.0 (just 0.8 away from King Felix)

20th in ERA (playing half his games in Fenway as a lefty)

18th in SIERA

25th in tERA

18th in xFIP (3.48 is better than Verlander and  just 0.03 from 13th place ahead of Kershaw)

T34th in WHIP with Jamie Shields at 1.24

It's pretty easy to call him a top 30 starter for those 4 years, or one could argue he was a top 15 starter if you factor WAR as the best metric or if you adjust for playing in Fenway and against tougher opponents. His road OPS against (career) is .062 higher at home, while his ERA is 0.25 higher in Fenway as well.

Plus, the kid is 9-4 vs the Yanks in 127 IP (4.10 ERA).

Unless you think there are less than 15-20 aces in MLB, then I guess you could have called Jon an ace for the 4 years.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

His road OPS against (career) is .062 higher at home,

Sorry, "Home OPS against is higher than on the road" is what I meant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He was also 18th in IP from 2008-2011 with the 9th best ERAS out of those 18 workhorses.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Bottom line...  As I've said before...  Lester needs to shut up & pitch like the #1 we keep hoping he will be.

For the record.  I think he will do that this year!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

if you look at 2012 alone he looks like a number 4. but if you look at his entire body of work he is a solid #2 borderline #1.

certainly not an ace

I am looking at the last year and a half. I believe that the most recent performances count the most in terms of trying to predict a player's future performance. In 2011, after the July 3 game, his ERA for the rest of the season was 5.33 with an OPSa of .804. Last year's stats I posted elsewhere and are easy to look up. In addition, he has lost about 1.5mph off his four seam fastball, an ominous sign as that is rarely recovered as pitchers age. So for the last year and a half, approximately, he has pitched like a #4. While I certainly hope he is able to regain his form, right now its in the category of "you can put lipstick on a pig and its still a pig". He has a lot to prove this year.

Who are you talking about, Pumpsie?  If it's Lester, those numbers for 2011 aren't right.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

Bottom line...  As I've said before...  Lester needs to shut up & pitch like the #1 we keep hoping he will be.

I don't understand why people care what players say.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

I seem to remember a guy named J.D. Drew who kept his mouth shut and went about his business, and he got skewered around these parts for supposedly not caring.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

I seem to remember a guy named J.D. Drew who kept his mouth shut and went about his business, and he got skewered around these parts for supposedly not caring.

Funny how that works.

I guess every player should just talk, but not really say anything except the usual warm and fuzzy cliche's.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Facts have never been your strong point.

Nor Geo's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

geo evertime I try to support your posts on this thread my posts get deleted! lol

Sections
Shortcuts