Lester, the new Beckett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lester, the new Beckett?

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

geo evertime I try to support your posts on this thread my posts get deleted! lol

Speak in code.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Verbatim passages of my rant were miscontexted

-jon beckett lester

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

if you look at 2012 alone he looks like a number 4. but if you look at his entire body of work he is a solid #2 borderline #1.

certainly not an ace

I am looking at the last year and a half. I believe that the most recent performances count the most in terms of trying to predict a player's future performance. In 2011, after the July 3 game, his ERA for the rest of the season was 5.33 with an OPSa of .804. Last year's stats I posted elsewhere and are easy to look up. In addition, he has lost about 1.5mph off his four seam fastball, an ominous sign as that is rarely recovered as pitchers age. So for the last year and a half, approximately, he has pitched like a #4. While I certainly hope he is able to regain his form, right now its in the category of "you can put lipstick on a pig and its still a pig". He has a lot to prove this year.

Who are you talking about, Pumpsie?  If it's Lester, those numbers for 2011 aren't right.

Mea culpa! Not sure where I what I was looking at, but Lester did not start pitching poorly in 2011 until September. Still, its a long time since he really has done his job, at least a full year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Looks like we have another idiot - spewing about how people don't respect him and expect to much from him...despite having the worst season of his career....I guess he still believes he's an "elite" front line starter....

check out the WEEI article "Lester still doesnt get it"

The Beckett delusional sense of privilege just keeps on giving doesnt it...

cue the bootlickers in 3, 2, 1....

Shut up..... who cares......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, Lester said some stupid things in his frustration.  Yes.  And, yes, he pitched POORLY last year and in September 2011.  And his conditioning certainly went to hell in a hand basket.

Bad Jonny.

I recognize his failures.

However, instead of beating them into the ground, I prefer to root for his redemption.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i love the way bootlickers cry that he is being taken out of context...thats such a shameless phony excuse that it embarrasses me that someone on this board would actually even say it...Space at last mans up and says it was Lester's  goof....

having said that i will also say Lester is the only one in 2012 who apologized for Sept. shenanigans....

i look forwARD to his return to form under JF as manager

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

i love the way bootlickers cry that he is being taken out of context...thats such a shameless phony excuse that it embarrasses me that someone on this board would actually even say it...Space at last mans up and says it was Lester's  goof....

having said that i will also say Lester is the only one in 2012 who apologized for Sept. shenanigans....

But then who will you judge from on high?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Well, Lester said some stupid things in his frustration.  Yes.  And, yes, he pitched POORLY last year and in September 2011.  And his conditioning certainly went to hell in a hand basket.

Bad Jonny.

I recognize his failures.

However, instead of beating them into the ground, I prefer to root for his redemption.

I can't think of any Red Sox fan who would not be thrilled if Lester pitched like an ace. No one is beating him into the ground. Pointing out his statistics over the past year+ is not beating him into the ground, especially if its in response to some comments made by him that seem to be an attempt on his part to portray himself as a top of the rotation pitcher. It is appropriate on a forum like this to state facts that contradict what he said if they exist or in support of him if they exist. I will be right there with the rest of the Red Sox fans hoping he can turn it around, but given how he has performed for quite some time, I am not holding my breath. I expect some improvement, but not enough to catapult him into a solid #2 SP, let alone an ace.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not saying the comments you quoted were taken out of context.  The quotes were accurate.  But I'm saying that in the same interview he went on to talk about how motivated he is to have a strong 2013 and to show that 2012 wasn't who he really is.  So I think that should be taken into consideration too.  He wasn't just whining in the interview, he also said some of the things we would want him to say.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I'm not saying the comments you quoted were taken out of context.  The quotes were accurate.  But I'm saying that in the same interview he went on to talk about how motivated he is to have a strong 2013 and to show that 2012 wasn't who he really is.  So I think that should be taken into consideration too.  He wasn't just whining in the interview, he also said some of the things we would want him to say.

but conveniently, geo left those parts out..

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

it's sweet that you want to protect Jon from us mean fans Space, honestly it is - I'm sure Lester, who has earned 20 million dollars as  a sox player before age 30 is appreciative of your protection and support to whitewash his faults and deflect from his failings....as you know, society can only be improved by folks willing to ignore their problems and denying facts...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

it's sweet that you want to protect Jon from us mean fans Space, honestly it is - I'm sure Lester, who has earned 20 million dollars as  a sox player before age 30 is appreciative of your protection and support to whitewash his faults and deflect from his failings....as you know, society can only be improved by folks willing to ignore their problems and denying facts...

You're all about improving society?? LOL

That's the funniest thing I've read all day!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

not I,  I want to destroy the Sox - I hate them....havent you heard?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

not I,  I want to destroy the Sox - I hate them....havent you heard?

Good to see you at least coming to terms with yourself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

georom, the new softlaw?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think frustration got the best of him. Lets see if Farrell has a sit downwith himand maybe Pedro say a few inspiring words as well...

I can understand his frustration with People saying hes a #2 or #3, when in reality hes a TOTR starter. Not "elite" or an "Ace", but still has TOTR numbers minus 2012 and sept. 2011.

I certainly dont like his version of what an Ace is. If what he believes is true, then Ryan Dempster is an "Ace"...Which hes obviously not. That was the only remark I didnt like for JL.

He certainly seems bitter and thats not going to help him on the mound. A slight attitude adjustment is probably needed...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

georom, the new softlaw?

Softlaw sounds like an OCD victim, but he definitely knows BB.  Geo, not so very much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

Bottom line...  As I've said before...  Lester needs to shut up & pitch like the #1 we keep hoping he will be.

For the record.  I think he will do that this year!

I don't understand why people care what players say.

Spot on.

Geo has a vesceral hatred of the RS, which is why he wants to bash as many players as possible.

Other than that, I almost never read anything the players say.  Occasionally, you'll get intellectuals like Pedro or Seaver in an interview that will be interesting, but the daily sayings of each and every player?  Why would anyone listen to that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

Bottom line...  As I've said before...  Lester needs to shut up & pitch like the #1 we keep hoping he will be.

For the record.  I think he will do that this year!

I don't understand why people care what players say.

Spot on.

Geo has a vesceral hatred of the RS, which is why he wants to bash as many players as possible.

Other than that, I almost never read anything the players say.  Occasionally, you'll get intellectuals like Pedro or Seaver in an interview that will be interesting, but the daily sayings of each and every player?  Why would anyone listen to that?

softy bashes more Sox players than geo. geo is more targeted and likes to focus on a very select few to place all or most of the blame on. softy spreads the bashing around to a point where it seems like only a handful of Sox players might escape the bashing treatment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I still wish Boston got McCarthy or Marcum.  I know both of them have been dealing with injuries but even if both of them made only 20 starts, it's still a bargain (considering how much the Mets paid Marcum and Arizona paid McCarthy).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I still wish Boston got McCarthy or Marcum.  I know both of them have been dealing with injuries but even if both of them made only 20 starts, it's still a bargain (considering how much the Mets paid Marcum and Arizona paid McCarthy).

I agree 100%. We can never have too much pitching, and if ever we feel like we do, trading one when there are desperate teams in July is easy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mea culpa! Not sure where I what I was looking at, but Lester did not start pitching poorly in 2011 until September. Still, its a long time since he really has done his job, at least a full year.

He did seem to begin to turn things around in August & Spetember of 2012. So, his "bad streak" was only about 5 months long: Sept of 2011 tom July of 2012.

His June of 2012 was not too bad either  (2-1  4.01  1.277), so he actually finished up 2012 with 3 out of 4 decent (not great) months.

Let's hope he continues getting back to form, but his loss of velocity is discouraging, since it rarely returns.