Lester Traded By End Of Tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Lester Traded By End Of Tonight?

If he is traded he will not be back. If he is traded tonight, the Lucchino smear campaign will be in full effect tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

If he is traded he will not be back. If he is traded tonight, the Lucchino smear campaign will be in full effect tomorrow.

Yup

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I agree Lester will be traded if the right offer is made, but disagree there is any chance he will later re-sign with the Sox.  Whoever trades for him would be crazy to give up good prospects and not try to re-sign him.  Also, I think Lester wants more money than the FO is willing to part with.  The top Sox salary last year and this year was/is  $16M/year.  I do not see the FO suddenly giving anyone $24M x 6 or 7 years, but I think that's what Lester believes he can get.  

People keep citing the Carl Crawford deal as precedent for giving Lester whatever he wants, but they have misunderstood the precedent.  The CC precedent turned out to be:  "we're never going to do that again." 

I am also astounded by the notion Steinbrenner would fix this problem.  First and foremost, Steinbrenner much bigger revenues with the Yankees, so he would still make money even when paying huge salaries, the most in MLB every single year.  Second, even with spending huge sums, he couldn't win the WS during his first 23 years as Yankees owner precisely because he tended to want to be his own GM.  Later, the less he did, the better they got. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I agree Lester will be traded if the right offer is made, but disagree there is any chance he will later re-sign with the Sox.  Whoever trades for him would be crazy to give up good prospects and not try to re-sign him.  Also, I think Lester wants more money than the FO is willing to part with.  The top Sox salary last year and this year was/is  $16M/year.  I do not see the FO suddenly giving anyone $24M x 6 or 7 years, but I think that's what Lester believes he can get.  

People keep citing the Carl Crawford deal as precedent for giving Lester whatever he wants, but they have misunderstood the precedent.  The CC precedent turned out to be:  "we're never going to do that again." 

I am also astounded by the notion Steinbrenner would fix this problem.  First and foremost, Steinbrenner much bigger revenues with the Yankees, so he would still make money even when paying huge salaries, the most in MLB every single year.  Second, even with spending huge sums, he couldn't win the WS during his first 23 years as Yankees owner precisely because he tended to want to be his own GM.  Later, the less he did, the better they got. 

Here is how it will play out if he is traded. We've seen this movie how many times. A team will trade for him, then they will be outbid by the Yankees for his services who will be regretting the contract 3 or 4 years into it.

How many of these 6 or 7 year deals for pitchers 30 or older even position players for that matter end up with the team getting their moneys worth?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  1m
    Farrell + Lester standing alone talking during BP for a while. Farrell caught in the middle. Loves the player, but also part of management

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Here is how it will play out if he is traded. We've seen this movie how many times. A team will trade for him, then they will be outbid by the Yankees for his services who will be regretting the contract 3 or 4 years into it.

How many of these 6 or 7 year deals for pitchers 30 or older even position players for that matter end up with the team getting their moneys worth?

5years with a vesting option doesn't scare me for a 30 year old that's never been hurt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Paying Lester 22-24 mil per 6 or 7 years from now is a terrible idea.  You can pick on management all you want, but its a terrible idea. And while Jon was great in October, he wasnt all that good most of last year and a couple years before that. Its not a good deal.

Citing Crawfords bad deal is just evidence that the Sox might have actually learned something, not that they are so stupid they would give the $$ to Crawford but not Lester.

Lester's gone, get used to it.  Get as much as you can in a trade.

I dunno why the team doesnt just push his start back a day, trade or no trade, so they dont have to think about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

5years with a vesting option doesn't scare me for a 30 year old that's never been hurt

5 years doesnt get it done, I think.

Re: "smear campaign?" Fact is most of the "smear campaigns" (Nomar, even Tito) had a whole lot of truth to them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Re: "smear campaign?" Fact is most of the "smear campaigns" (Nomar, even Tito) had a whole lot of truth to them.

Do you know what an option is? That brings it to 6 years. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I dunno why the team doesnt just push his start back a day, trade or no trade, so they dont have to think about it.

Next game is Friday, so that's 2 days.  The bigger issue is who starts in his place.  Other than Doubront (and they sure as heck aren't going to start him) would require a roster move.  DFA ing Doubront requires waivers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Workman is scheduled to start in Pawt.  He'll be brought up and someone optioned.

If Lester goes it will be at 3:59 pm on Thursday after the Sox are satisfied they go the most for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Too bad the SOX can't get something in writing from the DODGERS' FO saying that if Lester sux after signing a six year contract, we'll take him off your hands. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Raz,

i sure hope there is a wink wink handshake agreement that lester has with the club to trade him for a massive haul and then resign him.  We have all these special pitching prospects...we would have no ace or allstar backstop to show them the way.  Lester would give them a guy to model their career after.  Having Lester/Lackey gives us a strength going into next year.   I also hope Ross is back for another year to help the young catchers.  If there is no chance of signing Lester i would agree this is the right move.  But if any guy deserves the pay day its him.  Reminds me a lot of my favorite Sox player(Pedro).  Lester wants a big deal...he deserves it...he has said he wants boston over anyone, has said he wont sign an extension bc he wants boston...i just dont understand.  

Why should there be a wink wink? The communication seems to have broken down while he's a member of the team. There won't be any if and when he's gone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Do you know what an option is? That brings it to 6 years. 

Depending on who's option it is right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  13s
    Latest Lester update from Fenway: #RedSox have Workman lined up in case Lester is traded. Farrell wants LHP to stay

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  13s
    Latest Lester update from Fenway: #RedSox have Workman lined up in case Lester is traded. Farrell wants LHP to stay

this was really telling

never heard a manager say anything like this before

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

NESN post game: No trade yet, but Farrell announced Workman will pitch tomorrow, "given the circumstances and in the best interest of everyone" 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well there you go folks...quite possibly, Jon Lester has pitched his last game for the Red Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The Yankees are laughing their tails off at the stupidity of the Red Sox FO. Hey Larry want to have that talk with Yankees Brian Cashman about how your way is the better way. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Paying Lester 22-24 mil per 6 or 7 years from now is a terrible idea.  You can pick on management all you want, but its a terrible idea. And while Jon was great in October, he wasnt all that good most of last year and a couple years before that. Its not a good deal.

Citing Crawfords bad deal is just evidence that the Sox might have actually learned something, not that they are so stupid they would give the $$ to Crawford but not Lester.

Lester's gone, get used to it.  Get as much as you can in a trade.

Yeah so save the money for Henry and pick up other teams throwaways like Grady Sizemore. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

Raz, i think you could be right.  Might go up to mid afternoon though tomorrow.  Then yank him before his start.  Im sure they have a plan in place if he is in fact traded.  I sure hope he gets one more start esp in front of the fans.  I like him a lot.  This would bother me more then jacoby leaving.  Lester is a guy that wants to stay.  He is our ace...the cash they have tossed at failures (dice k) and then they dont want to keep their own home grown player.   Watching him with the yankees next year is gonna hurt.  He has shown no signs of slowing down and is durable as any starter...and is even better in the post season.  I hope Lackey gets a new deal, i hope lester is resigned at the end of the year.  I also hope miller and koji are back.  

I agree. The Sox are mess right now. They willing to pay Crawford $100+ million and as you said Dice K big $$$. But will not pay a player they developed and has the career stats and playoff experience. How the bleep did Henry make $$$? The guy is an idiot

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's kind of a funny story.

Once upon a time, he bought a team in a small town, a team that hadn't won a WS in almost a century.  Within 11 years, he was the most successful owner in MLB, and the most successful owner in Red Sox history.

And that is how is John Henry became rich.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Luchinno will smear the guy when he leaves the team like he did to Tito, Manny Ramirez, AJ Pziernski, Theo like he does to everyone. Larry go home to your family and stop acting like the GM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    #RedSox scratch Lester for tomorrow. Start the countdown. Players seem stunned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to razcreation's comment:

Raz, i think you could be right.  Might go up to mid afternoon though tomorrow.  Then yank him before his start.  Im sure they have a plan in place if he is in fact traded.  I sure hope he gets one more start esp in front of the fans.  I like him a lot.  This would bother me more then jacoby leaving.  Lester is a guy that wants to stay.  He is our ace...the cash they have tossed at failures (dice k) and then they dont want to keep their own home grown player.   Watching him with the yankees next year is gonna hurt.  He has shown no signs of slowing down and is durable as any starter...and is even better in the post season.  I hope Lackey gets a new deal, i hope lester is resigned at the end of the year.  I also hope miller and koji are back.  

I agree. The Sox are mess right now. They willing to pay Crawford $100+ million and as you said Dice K big $$$. But will not pay a player they developed and has the career stats and playoff experience. How the bleep did Henry make $$$? The guy is an idiot

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's kind of a funny story.

Once upon a time, he bought a team in a small town, a team that hadn't won a WS in almost a century.  Within 11 years, he was the most successful owner in MLB, and the most successful owner in Red Sox history.

And that is how is John Henry became rich.

This... Red Sox fans have become selfish.

Sections
Shortcuts