Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only concern with this trade is this.  Cespedes doesn't hit RHP very well at all, although he does hit RHP a tad bit better than Gomes, but he doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes.

Honestly we would still be a better team at the end of the day if he platooned with Nava, who hits RHP better.  Cespedes is just under contract for one more year than Gomes.

We effectively traded Lester for a Gomes with a bit more speed, slightly better platoon splits, and a competitive lottery balance pick.  

I'd give this trade a C+

[/QUOTE]

You are comparing Gomes to Cespedes? Please.

[/QUOTE]

A guy could lose his credibility with such a lame post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier now

Trying to confirm, but hearing Lester and Gomes might be moving for Cespedes

!!!

[/QUOTE]

that is a good deal!!!  then lester could come back to Boston during the offseason!!

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My only concern with this trade is this.  Cespedes doesn't hit RHP very well at all, although he does hit RHP a tad bit better than Gomes, but he doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes.

Honestly we would still be a better team at the end of the day if he platooned with Nava, who hits RHP better.  Cespedes is just under contract for one more year than Gomes.

We effectively traded Lester for a Gomes with a bit more speed, slightly better platoon splits, and a competitive lottery balance pick.  

I'd give this trade a C+

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at Cespeds VS. LHP, Nava hits RHP better than Cespeds and Gomes hits LHP better than Cespeds.

Go look up their splits and do some homework.

....please my A@@

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

FANTASTIC!!!  Almost unbelievable!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's funny is that Cespedes is actually a perfect Sox fit, but again not if it meant dealing away your best pitcher. You can't deal pitching for hitting, it's a loser almost every time. 

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will happen, but if the SOX want to they can outbid everyone else during the off season, when Lester puts himself on the auction block. Starting bid will be 100 million. Do I hear 150 million? Going once. going twice, sold to the __________ (fill in the blank.)

[/QUOTE]

Yankees,   We will bring back Masterson.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah; his ERA of 5 will blend in excellently with the rest of the rag arms in the starting rotation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

No Way that Oakland will pay $100 million + to keep him after these 2 1/2 months. They've rolled the dice and hope to bring a world  championship to the West Coast Bay area. I live in the the North Bay and go to Giants and A's games when Sox play out here and at least 25% of the fans are wearing "Bees" on their caps, Boston Strong T-Shirts etc.  I will look forward to seeing Jon pitch and will of course root for him and the A's !!! And if he does win a couple of games before and 4-5 in the playoffs, the price tag will got to $125-150 million.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What's funny is that Cespedes is actually a perfect Sox fit, but again not if it meant dealing away your best pitcher. You can't deal pitching for hitting, it's a loser almost every time. 

[/QUOTE]

The only thing that was dealt was the best pitcher for a few months in a lost season.  Nothing precludes Lester from returning and if he doesn't you can assume he would have left even if played out the remainder of the season in a Sox uniform.

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly, precise way Management hopes you swallow this. I call this the Propaganda effect. Sox offer a joke offer to Lester after the Sox win a 2nd WS title with his help. Lester says I don't negotiate during the season. Sox tell agent let's do this at the All-Star break and probably up the offer. But now, Lester is having yet another quality season, maybe his best. But since the Sox couldn't get a deal done, now they are scrambling, knowing he isn't coming back for any discount----The ship sailed. They could have him for the "discount" BEFORE HIS GREAT SEASON THIS YEAR...BUT THE SOX DO WHAT THEY DO..THEY MANIPULATE, THEY LET THE PRESS FEAST ON THE SPECULATION, THEY ACTUALLY GET POSTERS/FANS TO SAY, "WELL, THEY DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE, HE WAS GONE."  NO, HE WASN'T IN THAT POSITION. NO, HE WASN'T GONE, AND YES, THE SOX ALLOWED FOR LESTER TO BUILD HIS RESUME EVEN MORE, SO HE WILL GET THE CONTRACT THAT EVERYONE IS AFRAID OF---A BIG LONG-TERM DEAL FOR A SP....GEE, AND HAD THE SOX NOT OFFERED 70 MIL FOR 4 YEARS, BUT MAYBE 120 MILL FOR 5 YEARS, DO YOU THINK WE'D BE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION? NOPE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I might add that the Sox handed 50 million to Beckett when he was damaged goods, while on the DL...there's that extra 50 million to go with the 70 offered to Lester...Nice doing business.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only thing that was dealt was the best pitcher for a few months in a lost season.  Nothing precludes Lester from returning and if he doesn't you can assume he would have left even if played out the remainder of the season in a Sox uniform.

[/QUOTE]

That's a bullseye!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My prediction is Cespedes will still be a 30-HR hitter for the Sox, but you don't give up a top 5 in MLB ace for that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd give this trade a C+

[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at Cespeds VS. LHP, Nava hits RHP better than Cespeds and Gomes hits LHP better than Cespeds.

Go look up their splits and do some homework.

....please my A@@

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I got your reasoning, just that Gomes is SUCH a butcher in the OF and Cespedes is more than serviceable. If we can get 25-275-85 in 140 games I'm good. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Cespeds can barely hit .260 and doesn't even get on base at a .300 clip. 

He's got Power and decent defense and will be a free agent after 2015.

He also doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes did, and he doesn't hit RHP as well as Nava does.

Assuming Boston COULD hypothetically continue to have used the Gomes/Nava platoon properly in LF, they just downgraded in LF.

Perhaps the Monster pumps up Cespdeds stats a bit, and he does bring better defense to LF, and he also brings speed.

So I will reserve final judgement for later, but don't act like this is a slam dunk deal that significantly makes us better just because the dude won a HR derby.

WMB could probably win a HR derby.  Occasional power doesn't make a guy a great hitter, it makes him a decent hitter.  Great power when a guy can walk and/or hit is a great hitter.

Hit tool and approach can be the difference between Will Middlebrooks and David Ortiz.

Cespedes has great power, but he doesn't have a great hit tool or a solid approach at the plate.

this trade isn't as good as some think. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This is exactly, precise way Management hopes you swallow this.

The FO botched the Lester negotiations before the season.  Since that happened this was a good move.  Either they pull their head out and make him a real offer in which case he probably comes back and we get Cespedes for a year for basically nothing or he leaves in which case we got something of value.  That's all I am saying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How much the Sox will buy a SP at 120 million for 5 years in the next 2 seasons...but the guy will not shore up to be as successful as Jon Lester.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Workman Ranaudo wrigh tWilson. We can all name Pawsox pitchers but it doen't make them good. Look at Wilsons stats this year. Reach base power hitter same thing but younger but not great same thing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

He also doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes did, and he doesn't hit RHP as well as Nava does.

Assuming Boston COULD hypothetically continue to have used the Gomes/Nava platoon properly in LF, they just downgraded in LF.

Perhaps the Monster pumps up Cespdeds stats a bit, and he does bring better defense to LF, and he also brings speed.

So I will reserve final judgement for later, but don't act like this is a slam dunk deal that significantly makes us better just because the dude won a HR derby.

WMB could probably win a HR derby.  Occasional power doesn't make a guy a great hitter, it makes him a decent hitter.  Great power when a guy can walk and/or hit is a great hitter.

Hit tool and approach can be the difference between Will Middlebrooks and David Ortiz.

Cespedes has great power, but he doesn't have a great hit tool or a solid approach at the plate.

[/QUOTE]

No trade for Lester is good but to get a proven player with power in the much needed OF position while removing Gomes defense from the mix is a very good save imo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's another brilliant example of Sox FO Manipulation/Propaganda to show you that Lester was needed to be dealt, and then they will later blame Jon's agent for stalling negotiations and then they will trash Jon a little more with "well, he didn't really mean a hometown discount." Bullshoy. The Sox knew exactly what they were doing. They will only give a giant contract to A NON-SOX PLAYER. THAT'S IT.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I am hoping Jon gets another ring. Keeping him we still weren't even a .500 team. When he pitched, other teams pitched their best and Jon needed to not give up more than 1-2 runs, 3-4 hits because many times our offense couldn't bail him out and I say bail him out from still an excellent performance with no run support.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The M.O. continues.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dont like it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This is more for Lester than I was expecting to get, so that's good, but as for these sentiments:

"that is a good deal!!! then lester could come back to Boston during the offseason!!"

I'm surprised how many fans think there is a realistic chance of this happening. I just don't see it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ortiz could be a good influence on Cespedes as far as learning how to take pitches.  Don't forget that aspect. Again, I don't have a problem with Cespedes and I'm happy he is here to hit HR, but putting a band-aid on one thing and opening a wound elsewhere is worthless in the long run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The way I see this is we got something for nothing.

Scenario A: Lester stays with the Sox until the end of the season. The Sox offer a QO, Lester either re-signs with a small hometown discount, or he doesn't and we get a draft pick.

Scenario B: Lester traded to the A's. The Sox ger Cespedes and a draft pick. Lester goes to FA because the A's won't sign him. He either re-signs with the Sox with a small hometown discount, or he doesn't. We still get the draft pick either way.

The only question out there is whether there was a better deal available that the Sox could have had with another team. Assuming this was the best return, then there's absolutely no way to fault the FO for making this move.

[/QUOTE]

Can we please stop with the make believe 'hometown discount.'

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is more for Lester than I was expecting to get, so that's good, but as for these sentiments:

"that is a good deal!!! then lester could come back to Boston during the offseason!!"

I'm surprised how many fans think there is a realistic chance of this happening. I just don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

Troll, exactly. That's what I mean by Sox Spin Machine, Propaganda and Larry L.'s touch of evil.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox became a non-contender in 2015 with this move...would have to acquire a top-of-the-line SP in the offseason to change that.

Sections
Shortcuts